As always, we've been hungry for feedback on how to improve our board game search platform. This month we've had a lot of great conversations with users and have made a lot of changes as a result. I'll highlight a few of the biggest upgrades.
Kickstarter Projects Page
Every day, there's at least 8 new tabletop related Kickstarters that are launched. That's incredible! We don't want our system to miss out on these great products for the community so we've built some tools that help us find them all and input them into the system. We even connect the kickstarter end date, goals, and other info! We've added in the the last 5 days of launched products and you can see how they're doing here: https://www.5colorcombo.com/search?kickstarter=true
We'll continue adding new products in every day as they launch and will build a system to have the publishers input them directly soon too.
If you're working at a business large enough to need a good communication tool Slack is a common choice. If that's you, we've built an app that you can use to look up board games privately in the chat and share it with the groups! Take a look here: https://www.5colorcombo.com/search/slack
Reddit Day Count List
It's not the most descriptive title but essentially we've built a new tool that looks at all reddit comments in /r/boardgames and extracts out game names out of them. The names don't need to be bolded or indicated in any special way. We've created a bit of magic that can find all the names in the paragraphs of text.
The first way we're using the data is just to make a list of all the games in order of mentions that is updated every day. It's pretty interesting to see what stays high in the rankings over the weeks and what games quickly rise up in conversations as well.
Take a look here: https://www.5colorcombo.com/search?order-by=reddit-day-count
The 3 features above are probably the most interesting for the general board game enthusiast. We worked on a lot of other things as well that improve the quality of the software for various other uses and people as well though. Here's a the quick rundown of those features.
- 5 New Store Integrations (Connecting their listings to the games to give users the best price comparisons possible)
- Facebook / Twitter sharing (You can now easily share games)
- We upgraded the front page of the search
- Over 1200 external reviews (We're working with over 200 blogging websites to connect their content now!)
- Over 1000 new entries to the database from user submissions
- API v0.4 released which includes an api to get store links, a feed of images, videos, and reviews, board game price links, and other upgrades: API Docs
- When submitting an External review, it will auto suggest a title based off the website's title
There were many other even smaller features and bug fixes as well. Thank you again for continuing to send us messages and adding more games to the wiki! If you have feature requests or issues please contact us on twitter, facebook, or email!