It's finally happened! My wife and I had our first session of Viticulture EE and here are the highlights:
- We had some interesting choice of Spanish guitar playing in the background with the help of Alexa. Should've gone for Melodice?
- Oh boy, 2 player session is much more limiting since it only allows space for one worker for every action in the seasons.
- It was very interesting to see my wife's decision-making--she almost always chose to wake up later and went for the bonus lyra every time. She also used workers in the summer season to mostly give tours to get more lyra (money) or to get vine cards. And except for the last year, she used her grande worker in the summer season every single time.
- Every now and then, I avoided making certain moves thinking "hmm.... she really needs to start planting or harvesting by now so I won't place my worker there," but I should've minded my own business--she did most of her planting and harvesting through efficiently using her visitor cards. It's funny because she's won almost all of her games with me and others even though it's her first time. For example, when she played Wingspan with Trent and others, she won mostly by placing big birds that give lots of points instead of focusing on building an engine (the concept of engine-building is very new to her). It's interesting how her lack of awareness/experience of "expected" strategies tend to benefit her quite often.
- In the middle of our play, my wife said "this is really fun" while smiling like a kid--that would be my highlight for the night!
- We decided to go for 10 VP's being the end goal instead of the usual 20 VP's since it was getting late and our son was waking up often crying a lot (he's been fighting a bad cold for the past week).
- I managed to fulfill two orders while my wife fulfilled one (and almost fulfilled her second).
- In our second to last year of the game, I thought I had it in the bag to win it in the next year but my wife went on a rampage acquiring VP's left and right through the visitor cards!
- In the last year, I had to sell another one of my fields so that I could buy a structure using a visitor card in the winter that would award 2 VP's for having 6 structures.
- We ended up tying in VP's and my wife won the tiebreaker by having 1 more lyra than me lol
My wife really enjoyed the game and it's currently her top game (she's also played Welcome To, Santorini, Just One, Catan, Wingspan, Skull, Azul, Love Letter, and Quacks). We will definitely be getting Tuscany after a few more plays!
So.... for those of you who've seen my past posts searching for a game that will exceed her level of enjoyment from Catan, it's finally happened!