What did you play this week? (9/21/2020)

(9/21/2020) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

Like| 54 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

2 months ago

Silver & Gold was one of the more underwhelming games I've played in quite some time. I understand it's supposed to be a light, quick flip n' write, but it just seemed to offer almost no decision space. For the time slot that games fills, I'd much rather play something like Kingdomino or Sushi Go. What did you enjoy about it?

2 months ago

I'm not always looking for a rich decision space with super light games.  Silver & Gold is a tetris puzzle with some very light combo mechanics and good components.  I've only played Kingdomino once, but I think I like the polyomino aspect of Silver & Gold slightly more than the tile-laying of Kingdomino.  They both feel fine to me. 

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of games that use drafting as a central, turn-by-turn mechanic or when it's a primary source of player interaction.  Games like Azul, Kingdomino, or Sagrada just kind of feel boring to me.  The game play is usually, "I want that" "Someone took it" "Choose something slightly worse."  I often feel like my decision space is more affected by other's decisions than my own.  There's usually a really good selection, it gets ruined by someone else's selection, then pick the next suboptimal thing.  I'm starting to dislike that mechanic when it's pushed to the forefront of a game's design.  My decision space tends to feel more restricted to me in that type of game all for the sake of player interaction, which I don't find that type of game play a sufficiently meaningful or fun type of player interaction to base an entire game around.  A lot of people seem to really like it though, so I usually just tend to steer clear of highly rated games that push that to the front of its design.  I still have some fun with those games, but I'd usually rather play something else. 

Silver & Gold definitely has that drafting element, but it's not the main thing you're doing and it happens maybe once or twice a round.  I think when it's a smaller component of the game, and the main thing you're planning or thinking about is not the drafting part of the game, I tend to enjoy it more.  Just a personal preference. I don't think either game is better than the other; I would just prefer to play one slightly more.

2 months ago

The Target near me just had a grand reopening and sent out $5 coupons in the mail. So of course I had to go check out the board games and picked up#Silver & Gold. My only gripe is I wish it played more than 4!

2 months ago

That's a good chunk off the price of that game, definitely worth it.  I've had a lot of fun with it.  I don't have a lot of roll/flip and writes, mostly we just have Qwixx, so it was a good pick-up for us.  I like the spatial aspect of it, and it plays very quickly.  Nice, light one.

Supporter2 months ago

Looks like a good week!  I've played the last 3 games.  I think Anachrony is my favourite out of the 3 followed by The Gallerist then Lisboa.

2 months ago

It was a good week!  Anachrony was the first euro I picked up, and I couldn't have been happier with that choice.  My wife and I still only have the essential edition and the minis, but we still have a lot of fun with it every time we play. 

We just recently picked up The Gallerist and Lisboa and have been having a lot of fun with those also.  I think Lisboa is fun because of how open the options of each turn are.  You have a lot of branches to go down, and I've had a lot of fun with the turns in that game, but I certainly find it difficult to plan past my next turn, if that even.  I've only played a few games, so I'm definitely still learning it.

We've played The Gallerist most of the two Lacerda games so far.  Every game has felt like it has ended two or three turns before I wanted it to, which isn't bad because it forces you to prioritize.  I've enjoyed every game we've played though I think it might be my least favorite of the three, but only by a marginal amount.  I really enjoy all three games.

2 months ago

I'm getting #The Gallerist hopefully by the end of this week! That's what I ended up picking up with my weekly challenge wins. Glad to hear you enjoy it

2 months ago

Ohhhhh thats a really good game to get with a win here! I would love to hear your impressions once you get that!

2 months ago

I'll be sure to post them!

2 months ago

Very cool! It's a great game.  It pulls you in a bunch of directions, and it's satisfying to make your own path through the game.  Plus, his games usually let you play as orange... that's the best.

Supporter2 months ago

Most days I like it when games never quite give you enough actions to do everything you want although every once in a while it's nice to have a game where you can do everything you want!

2 months ago

Wow, some heavy games in here! I'm impressed you played all of those in one week

2 months ago

I didn't realize how much we had played until I listed everything out.  My wife and I have been defaulting to board gaming a lot this year, go figure.  It's been a good time though.  We also played a few games of #The Fox in the Forest that I forgot to list, which has been much more enjoyable than I thought it would be.  That and Silver & Gold were some great cheap Target pickups for us when they had a 15% off Target Circle deal.

2 months ago

Nice! I really enjoy the Fox in the Forest as well. Unfortunately my wife does not, haha.

2 months ago

Oh nice, you did Dinosaur Island! I'll have to watch that soon.

2 months ago

I finally played Wingspan last weekend!  Was pretty good as expected, though $60 seems a bit steep for it. 

2 months ago

Gameplay wise, I might agree, but the components are pretty top notch across the board, so I don't mind too much.

2 months ago

2 games of #Flash Point: Fire Rescue with 3 players.  Played on the office side with regular difficulty and got crushed both times. 

1 game of #Camel Up w/ #Camel Up: Supercup Expansion.  I won a pretty tight game.  Love the expansion for this game.

Supporter2 months ago

That flash point can really get away from you can't it? :)

2 months ago

Felt like we were okay for the first 1/2 of the game.  Then we had 1 turn were we hit like 4 hotspots in a row resulting in a couple explosions and all kinds of crazy. We actually ran out of fire tokens to place down, the entire right side of the board was a flame.   We did manage to save 4 POI so that was a plus.

The 2nd game was much of the same w/ back to back turns with 3 hot spot hits in a row.  Only managed to save 3 POI's that time. 

Supporter2 months ago

I haven't played it a ton but I remember spending time to "fire maintenance" to avoid having the chance of massive flare ups.  I think we have won most of our games but definitely had one get waaaay out of control on us because we weren't keeping that fire down early.

2 months ago

I got in a lot of digital versions of games this week and a couple solo plays. Ended out the week with a new game and of course some Monikers.

#Food Chain Magnate - played online for the first time and was surprised at how easy it was to teach to new players. As I've said a few times on the forum, I still prefer the physical version - set up is a beast but I'm getting an insert and organizer to hopefully help with that.

#One Deck Dungeon - I bit on the $0.99 app sale that had posted about. Played it about 4 times now and am pretty bad at it lol. Lots of fun though!

#Raiders of the North Sea - I have this on my switch and hadn't played it in awhile so I gave it a go this week. I think the action selection mechanism in this game is pretty cool but like with One Deck Dungeon, I'm pretty terrible.

#For Sale - played a couple times on board game arena and got my first win! I think I just got lucky with players outbidding each other for cards I was okay giving up on more than anything else.

#Spirit Island - played this solo with a spirit I hadn't tried before. I really have to start playing with 2 at a time because it feels impossible without having a good combo.

#Paladins of the West Kingdom - tried this solo too. I definitely did something wrong as the AI was wrecking me on the easiest difficulty. I'll need to watch a video play through to see where I went wrong.

#Silver & Gold - picked this up at Target for cheap thanks to a coupon I got in the mail. My fiancé and I actually had to go down to a few tiebreakers to determine who won! I just wish it played more than 4 because I think it would be a hit with her siblings and parents.

#Monikers - speaking of family hits, I introduced this to my brother and his wife Saturday. We saw a lot of new cards which was great but they were difficult! Still so much fun as always!

Supporter2 months ago

Good set of games!  I hadn't realized they sell board games on the switch.  I'll have to check it out!

2 months ago

Yeah they have more than I thought! Not a ton, but you can find #Catan, #Istanbul, and #Wingspan on there!

Supporter2 months ago

Cool.  I'll take a look.

2 months ago

I had a pretty good week actually!

- #51st State: Master Set : this game has grown on me, definitely a little on the multiplayer solitaire side of things, but I lost by 1 point because I treated it that way...So maybe I need to pull my head up from my player area!

- #Agricola (Revised Edition) : I am bad at this game man lol. I enjoy it a lot but I just cannot maximize my thought process. Still a good time!

- #Aeon's End: Legacy : Played scenario 5 with the wife and we won! It got a little hairy at one point with a lot of minions coming out but we pulled out the win! This game is becoming a favorite of ours for sure. 

2 months ago

Isn't 51st State about the same as#Imperial Settlers?

2 months ago

Yes, it is very similar. I have not played Imperial Settlers but I have heard they just made a few tweaks and made it a new theme!