I love big long meaty games. Games that take up the evening in an epic struggle of wits and dice that leave you tired but satisfied.
In this list I look at my top 5 games that are heavy weight and have a potential for 3 hours play or more. These are the games you don't play too often but when you pull them out they will always create a memorable experience!
1) #Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game: Expansions definitely required. Civ IV is probably my favourite version of what is one of my favourite game series. I've enjoyed this game many times and it really is a great afternoon of building your civ and jostling with others to try to stand the test of time!
2) #Forbidden Stars: My favourite dudes on a map game for when you are looking for an evening of epic warfare. Think #Twilight Imperium 4th Edition but wiith a strict focus on the war aspect. Definitely an amazing game and probably the shortest one on this list. I'm looking forward to the new game coming out from the designer which is supposed to use similar mechanisms.
3) #War of the Ring (Second Edition): This will definitely take your evening but it will be an evening leaning over a map of Middle Earth while YOU are re-weaving the story of the Lord of the Rings. In my last game the free peoples were struggling to hold back the dark lord. He was nearing victory. Gimli had fallen. The Fellowship had broken up to help defend the lands. A band of 4 hobbits made it to Mount Doom where Frodo lost to corruption just as he reached the crack of Doom. Canonical ending! Woohoo!
4) #Star Wars: Rebellion: Another game that will definitely take up your whole evening. (And then some if it's your first play.) Much like War of the Ring this game has you recreating the original trilogy on a very large map of the key planets in the star wars universe. Do you kill the emperor and the death star like in the movies? Or maybe Darth Vader captures Leia and turns her to the dark side?
5) #Twilight Imperium 4th Edition: The most epic of games on this list. A full table playing the long game can expect to be at it for 8 - 12 hours even with experienced players. Epic space opera is definitely a great description for this game as you tell the story of your space civilization's struggle for supremacy in the galaxy.
What epic games do you enjoy? What memorable experiences have they given you?