What did you play this week? (9/14/2020)

(9/14/2020) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

Like| 70 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Supporter2 months ago

Lots of gaming this week solo and otherwise!

• #Terraforming Mars (Solo, physical): One of my favourites and the first game I really enjoyed solo.  I played it with just #Terraforming Mars: Prelude as I felt like a more basic game.
  • #Spirit Island with #Spirit Island: Branch & Claw (Solo, Physical): Probably my favourite solo game when I want something meatier.  I enjoy playing with 2 spirits but bumped the difficulty up a bit much and got handily swamped!  Might be time to step it back a bit.
  • #Streets (TTS, Multiplayer): I backed this one on kickstarter.  One of the few games I've backed in a while but I really like Villagers so I figured it was a safe bet.  I enjoyed the game and I think it will get better with repeated plays.  Speaking of Villagers...
  • #Villagers (Solo, Physical x2): It's a nice easy game to setup and the solo play doesn't have too many bits to remember.  Played two games.  Narrowly lost the first one and then finally got my first win in the second game!  The solo play requires a bit different thinking than the multiplayer game which I'm finally starting to get.
  • #Ecos: First Continent (TTS, multiplayer): I quite enjoy this game.  (I enjoy most games where you create a map.)  I was trying to play too strategically to work up to one big scoring card but my plans were repeatedly (and accidentally) thwarted by the other players.  I have to remember to draft more medium level scoring cards and not to get fixated on one goal.  
  • #Trickerion (TTS, multiplayer): First time playing this game and it was super interesting!  We're going to play again next weekend now that we all have the game flow down.  The game makese more thematic sense than some of the other complex games we're tried with a couple of exceptions. Thinking ahead is super important which gave me a bit of a #Lignum feeling to it.  To have a really top score you would want to pick the top level trick you are going to go for from early on in the game.
  • #Take 5 + Take a Number (Physical, muliplayer x2): Had some friends over for a socially distanced night and they quite enjoyed Take 5.  This is turning in to a good investment.
  • #Just One (Physiical, multiplayer): Same friends, same evening, also good fun.  I think this game works best with 5+ players though.  With 4 the danger of 2 people matching creates a lot of really cautious play.

Great week for gaming!

2 months ago

What a great list of plays! #Ecos: First Continent has looked really neat, just waiting on a deal to come around.

I just bought #Trickerion used and am antsy for it to get here. So excited for that one. Any further thoughts on it?

Supporter2 months ago

Yeah I wanted to grab ecos ever since I saw it at SHUX last year. It's fun and you can play it without being too hard core and have fun but there is also some good strategy in there too.

Trickerion was interesting. Pretty tight play and a game where you always wish you had one more action all the time. 

The way the shows work is a bit odd but also very important to know to do well in a game. 

Mind you, I've only had the one play and I think it took one entire play to get the end to end flow even though I've played hundreds of different games. 

So really my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. :)

2 months ago

This helps, though! It sounds exactly like what I enjoy. Really neat, thanks :)

26 days ago

I've also been eyeing #Ecos: First Continent for some time now--sounds really interesting.  This may not quite yet be the time for me, as my family is not often up for longer games, and outside of family--you know--pandemic...

Resorting to more solo play these days.  I also got a hold of #Trickerion myself fairly recently and have gotten in a handful of first plays in the past few weeks.  I'm really enjoying getting to know the game.  The automa is fairly involved, so I'm just now getting a hang of the flow.  But things generally make good thematic sense to me, and I find it one of the more immersive experiences I've had.  I'm glad to see this game continuing to get some love!

2 months ago

Wow that's a ton! I saw the Streets Kickstarter. I've never played Villagers. It looks like it may be fun but it hasn't quite grabbed me enough to want to buy it for myself.

Supporter2 months ago

Was more of a physical play week vs digital this week I guess.  :)

I like Villagers a lot.  It's reasonably straightforward but has enough depth to keep interest.  Streets appears to have the same DNA but with some more interactive and thinky play to it.  

Of course, that's based on one play of streets.  See if you can find the game on TTS.  I am not sure if it is open to everyone or just backers at the moment. 

Supporter2 months ago

I only got in #Pendulum last week. It was fun but as some of you might have heard/read, while it'll be slightly different, I feel like the same type of fun it delivers on can be had by adding a chess timer to one of my other games or putting those same sand timers on a game like Viticulture but taking out the concept/structure of seasons.

and I have been getting to games more often for playthrough videos and he'll be teaching me #Brass: Birmingham today. I'm excited!

Supporter2 months ago

Brass Birmingham is one of my favourites!  Hopefully you like it as much as I do. :)

Supporter2 months ago

I liked it a lot! Will be sharing about my experience soon

2 months ago

oo that sounds fun! Do you film the learning game? Or do you do a learning game and then do another game for the actual video?

Supporter2 months ago

The playthrough video session is when I first learn the game too, so I'm going into it fresh haha. It was like that for #Pendulum too and I froze right after the game started. #Brass: Birmingham triggered AP like no other in a number of turns.

As for Brass' playthrough video, we decided not to upload it because it just didn't seem like a fun video. We had fun, but to get it to an entertaining state, it was going to require too much editing time! I'll be sharing my first impressions soon though and Trent will also be doing a review video.

2 months ago

Huh, I guess that makes sense. Heavy Euros probably aren't super engaging to watch.

Supporter2 months ago

I'm looking forward to hearing about brass from you. 

2 months ago

Boy, moving into a new house is tough on the gaming lol.

This week I got two games in.

• #Gaia Project @ 2p - Man this game just gets so much better with each play...I thought it may grow old but it is such an interesting decision space that I keep wanting more! I lost because of one decision I made and that tortures me lol. Definitely cannot wait to get more plays in!
  • #7 Wonders Duel - the wife actually suggested playing this the other night and I was more than willing to oblige! It really is a neat game! I won by citizen scoring, but I had almost won earlier with a military win as well! Even as a gamer who leans toward more heavy stuff this is really satisfying and quick!

Supporter2 months ago

Gaia Project is one of my favourites.  I've never played it at 2 though.  What do you think is the main diifferent between 2 players vs 3 - 4 players?

2 months ago

I don't particularly like Gaia Project at 2. It feels much harder to gaia-form planets since there's not enough time. Maybe I'm missing something though since everyone else seems to like it at 2?

Supporter2 months ago

No idea. I've never had the option to try it at 2. Maybe the next time it happens that we have 2 we can give it a whirl. 

2 months ago

The two biggest differences are you have a tighter board and less time between turns. 

You only have 7 platters used instead of 10 so you really only have 4 home planets for each faction. It makes it pretty hard to get more than 2 federations if you do not have the ability to Gaia-form. 

Supporter2 months ago

Interesting.  I have no one at home that is interested in board games and my group is usually 3+ players.  Sometimes I feel like I am missing out on a whole other facet of games with not playing 2 player version of my games!

2 months ago

I have been the same way, but with COVID hitting I have been limited in options, plus a guy in my group has an open invitation each week to come over for dinner and games so it makes it easier lol. 

Supporter2 months ago

That's cool.  I have played 2 player games a couple of times and quite enjoyed it.  There's a different feel to it. #Heaven & Ale at 2 is much different than playing it at 4.

2 months ago

I could totally see that game playing differently with 2, is there a big difference in set up with that? I could see it being really easy to fill up your fields!

Supporter2 months ago

The setup is reasonably similar but you get much fewer turns so I think it's generally just as hard to fill everything.  Entirely doable mind you.

2 months ago

Ah man I haven't play 7WD in a while! My wife didn't like it the first time but she's said she wants to try it again, so we'll have to get to that soon.

2 months ago

I was surprised that I enjoyed #7 Wonders more than Duel at 2 players. Totally not the typical opinion but that was just how I felt about it. 

2 months ago

You know I've never actually tried the 2 player variant. I'll have to read the rules for it.

2 months ago

It really is a nice little game. Fairly intuitive once you know everything and the decision space is fairly small each turn. I like it way more than the original 7W

2 months ago

I still enjoy the original a lot, but yeah man Duel is really great. Have you ever played using the Pantheon expansion?

2 months ago

I have not played with the expansions for either the original or Duel. Does it add a lot?