Lions of Lydia is the Best Board Game of 2020 So Far

Supporter
Review
I was sent the board game Lions of Lydia by the publisher for a review and have really enjoyed playing it! It feels like a mashup of Tiny Towns and Century: ......

Like| 24 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Supporter7 months ago

Wow! This looks really cool. Thanks for the video!

Supporter7 months ago

This looks like it would be really fun

Supporter7 months ago

Does seem like a game I might enjoy with my wife, but I hate the way the cover is on this game. I suppose it could grow on me... But... I don't know. 

Supporter7 months ago

For me, the cover looks alright haha. But after seeing your comment and taking a closer look, I did find it odd that they had two meeples in the cart on the bottom left. Seems out of place.

Supporter7 months ago

Yes, it just seems a little weird. 

Supporter7 months ago

What don't you like about the cover?

Supporter7 months ago

It is cartoony without being cute or distinctive. It reminds me most of a childrens coloring book. Is that a fair assesment? Probably not, but it is the first thing I think of.

7 months ago

I share similar feeling to you. Cover kinda feels like a coloring book you would find in a dollar store as a knock off of a Disney movie BUT it's just the cover. I don't find that feeling in the rest of the art for the game. I think it was just that character design on the cover. The rest of the game I don't find off putting.

Supporter7 months ago

I'm also not a huge fan of the finance board.... But I find the cards beautiful. 

7 months ago

I can totally over look bad art on a game that rates highly in game play. On kickstarter since gameplay is unknown to some degree the art is way more important of a hook in getting me to do further research. Now I wouldn't buy a game based on art alone to sit on my shelf but it certainly has gotten me to look at a kickstarter multiple times to do that research. Mind MGMT was one example recently that got a hook in me art wise.

Supporter7 months ago

I here that. 

5 months ago

This is the most wanted game on my "Mised the kickstarter" list.

Supporter5 months ago

You should check #The Whatnot Cabinet too then. It’s fantastic

Supporter7 months ago

I played with my life last night and she had a fun time too! Now we got to get more people in on it once we can have people over again!

7 months ago

i had a friend tell me to check this out because he was sure this was right up my alley. He wasnt wrong, but honestly i dont see anything about this game that grabs me right away. The size isnt comprable to the price i dont really care for the art and without getting my hands on it and really seeing how it feels to play i wouldnt back it on KS for that price. Extra upgraded pieces dont really ring my bells.

That being said this is the kind of game i would def take a chance on if it was on sale. 

Supporter7 months ago

Thanks for the cover! Your reference to the two games makes a lot of sense and I have a feeling I'd prefer this over #Century: Golem Edition. I like Century Golem but Anna and I prefer something more complex. One comment I have on the video is that I personally like to have thematic understanding of the gameplay and the rules. Even if it's perhaps pasted on, I would've liked to hear how the mechanics relate to the overall theme, or at least know how the idea of the gates and the fountain at the center tie into the theme. Great video nonetheless.

7 months ago

Interesting.. I haven't played this, but it seemed a similar level of strategy to Century to me.

Supporter7 months ago

I got the impression that it has one extra layer of strategy involved than Century Golem, but I'm sure I'll get to try it out myself at some point and report in with more details!

Supporter7 months ago

I'll drop off the game when I bring by the food later ;)

Supporter7 months ago

Haha thanks! Will trade PARKS for it :D

Supporter7 months ago

Sounds good!

7 months ago

Hope so!

Linked Games
Lions of Lydia