Why You Should Support The World's Fastest Growing Board Game Community
We launched Board Game Atlas on January 9th, 2019 and in less than a year we've grown to over 59,000 Active Users. That's incredible! It has blown our expectations out of the water, has kept us motivated to keep making improvements, and it means that it's now the fastest growing board game community in the world.
Now we've launched our first support drive for the website on Monday December 2nd, 2019.
Why are you making Board Game Atlas when BGG, Reddit, and Facebook already exist?
I've gotten this question a lot and the overall reason is because they're all lacking in some ways. Reddit and Facebook have a lot of limitations with what you can do there. They function well as a way to aggregate media and entertainment but don't have features specific to board gaming.
As for Board Game Geek, they're a great resource and community, but they're limited in terms of usability (especially on mobile), slow to change, and many users have given feedback on features or bugs but never seem to be heard.
Board Game Atlas is a response to those issues and will continue to grow due to the huge support I've gotten already by people using it.
Why Should I Financially Support Board Game Atlas?
Here's 10 reasons why you should consider supporting Board Game Atlas.
- You've used and enjoy the BGA forum.
- You use the board game database search of over 37,000 games.
- You find great prices for the games you want to get (we're connected to over 24 retailers).
- You want more innovation in the Board Gaming Community.
- We built an API for commercial/non-commercial use that is used by over 340 apps already.
- We listen to users (see section below of threads with our discussions and implementations).
- You get exclusive avatars/avatar ring colors to show that you've supported.
- You get access to supporter only voting on new features for the website.
- You want the features we're planning to make in 2020 to become a reality (see below).
- You want to see work you care about supported.
History of Talking with Users
- Announcing the Public Release of the Board Game Atlas API (12 new services and OAuth 2.0!)
Where does the Money Go?
Your support goes towards things you'd expect. Server costs, employee and contractor paychecks, marketing, and other areas. We've got some specifics on new features we'd like to implement though so that you know exactly what the outcome of giving will bring to you.
$1,000 Initial Goal
We’ve got a few major items we want to implement in 2020.
- Native Mobile Apps
- Advanced Play Logging System
- Marketplace for Used Games
- Convention Database
- Improved Game Search
- International Support
- Game Barcode & Image Scanning
- More User Suggestions
We’re planning on making these things happen regardless of hitting the goal or not but if we hit $1,000, we’ll commit to making it all happen by December 2020.
Hitting this goal doesn't get us to the point where the business is break even yet, but it get's us closer to that goal. To sustainably run without the risk of running out of money would mean we need to get to about $6,000/month more in revenue.
We're getting more traction with affiliate sales and advertising so far but we've still got a ways to go which is why we're running the support drive.
If we make that initial goal then we’ve got some ideas of stretch goals that’d we’d like to have to speed up the timeline, do more events, and if there's big enough support having my co-founder Phil join me in doing this full time.
What Do I Get?
As a supporter you get the following perks.
- Exclusive Avatars only available to supporters
- Avatar Ring Colors
- Voting ability on upcoming features
- The ability to upload your own custom avatar image ($50 or more)
We launched the campaign on December 2nd if you'd like to support. Thanks for your consideration.