philryuh

FEEDBACK FRIDAY! (9/20/19)

This is a weekly post where you leave your suggestions and feedback for Board Game Atlas! Some things to think about are:

• Feature requests (be creative, think wild!)
  • What sort of content would you like to see by Board Game Atlas? (we currently do interviews and news coverage. Anything else you'd be interested in?)
  • How can we make your experience here even better?
  • Mention your favorite/least favorite feature
  • Suggestions for industry professionals to interview (designers/artists/publishers/content creators/etc.)
  • Bugs/annoyances

Also, I have two questions for everyone:

• Home page - How should we change it to look less like a store? How can we make it look lively to indicate there's an active community?
  • Profile page - What sort of features would you like to see that's useful? (customizable profile page, ability to combine different users' lists, helping you pick out a game from your list of owned games based on certain criteria, etc.)

One last thing--The giveaway ends on Sunday at 9 PM PST! Thanks for everyone participating and I will do my best to make the next one even more lively :) 

5 points by philryuh - updated 22 days ago | 33 comments | report

Skyw3rd 26 days ago | 3 points

My recommendation for the home page would be to really think what you want this site to be. Once the price tracking gets worked out that could be a nice thing to have front and center. If you want to be news and interview focused then make that top priority. If the community is tops, then maybe an excerpt of the most upvoted threads?

For me, I'd make kickstarter advertisement lower down on the site. Keep the articles and interviews you guys do as top billing. Then maybe a split section of top deals and forum highlights.

As for the profile page, an easy click to log a play of something would be much appreciated. Maybe with some workflow like, Log a Play -> choose a game (owned or otherwise) then the log a play screen.

philryuh 26 days ago | 2 points

Great points on the home page! We've changed it a few times now and it's definitely an improvement every time, but we're not satisfied with it. I think articles and community highlights are our top priorities (I THINK) but we definitely want to keep some of the price tracking elements on the home page too. Maybe even something like "deals we love"? The home page is a difficult one that we'll probably keep asking for your feedbacks on :)

I also want to have a "top contributors" section on our forum to highlight our most active users.

The play logging process is one of the top items actually. We've been wanting to smooth out the process too so your feedback is helpful. Additional ideas we had for the feature was to have a prompt of some sort that will ask users if they'd like to take a picture, since that usually wouldn't happen unless you're asked to. I also think it would be cool if we could have something like facebook where it puts together a digital album for you after some time period.

Skyw3rd 26 days ago | 1 point

Taking a picture would be great. I tend to do that anyways to share with my friends who weren't able to make it. I've always wanted to log plays, but it's been such an effort to do so (not just here) that I don't bother doing it. That may sound lazy, but if it's not huge on my priority list and it's a little clunky to do then why do it?

philryuh 26 days ago | 1 point

After finishing a great game, the last thing I want to do is sit around logging a play with a clunky process, instead of enjoying the time after with my friends. I think there's plenty of room for improvement and I think the picture taking could even be made into a cool/fun element on the website where others can see what everyone's been up to (maybe going alongside the "what did you play" posts).

sdirrane 26 days ago | 2 points

Good ideas!

Skurvy5 24 days ago | 1 point

Click to log play would be an awesome tool. Great idea. 

sdirrane 26 days ago | 3 points

I personally feel like either some control over the background or maybe something a little more lively than just white.

I'd like to have that too!

Skyw3rd 26 days ago | 2 points

Dark mode for me. 100%.

philryuh 26 days ago | 4 points

Dark mode is 99% ready right now :)

Skyw3rd 26 days ago | 3 points

Don't let people tell you dreams don't come true.

xD

BenjaminK 24 days ago | 2 points

Is there a way to import our game collection from BGG? Rather than having to do so individually.

philryuh 24 days ago | 1 point

He's getting it in there for mobile now :) 

BenjaminK 24 days ago | 1 point

Great! That'll be handy :) 

philryuh 23 days ago | 1 point

It's added in there now for mobile. Let me know if you have trouble finding it!

BenjaminK 22 days ago | 1 point

I added my collection. It was super easy! One thing I did notice, however, is that all my logged plays are for the day I imported the list, i.e. today. So, according to this, I've played a TON of games today...and it's only noon! haha Not a big deal or issue at all (doesn't bother me), but I thought you might want to know about it. :) 

philryuh 22 days ago | 1 point

Nice. Thanks for the notice. I know I'd personally be bothered by it lol

BenjaminK 22 days ago | 1 point

If I tracked everything perfectly, then maybe I would be too. But I don't track every game I play, so it's not a perfect representation anyway.

If you click on your username up at the top right (on desktop) or go to menu and then to username on mobile, there should be an option for BGG import (actually, just realized that option isn't there for mobile haha). Will ask Trent

epage 25 days ago | 2 points

Maybe I've missed it but a way to subscribe to a game to be notified of new content.  I've been finding that useful on BGG to be aware the latest for in-work games/

Not sure how to address these but challenges related to why I don't visit the site more

• Designers and publishers are more likely to be posting updates on BGG
  • I can go to my reddit homepage and get a quick overview of all of my interests in contrast with having to go poll yet another site over here.

I doubt these are unique and doubt I'm the first person saying any of this.  I like this site and I want it to replace BGG. I wish I had ideas to hep.

philryuh 25 days ago | 1 point

We have a feature that allows you to follow individual games and users to get your personal feed. It's not public at the moment though, because (1) it wasn't getting used very much and (2) we just didn't have enough activity to make it worthwhile for someone to use. We plan to restore it in the future though.

I agree with you about those points. There are existing communities that serve different needs really well, and it's a continuing challenge for us to grab the attention of the users who have been part of those communities for a long time. I do enjoy the challenge though and I believe we have enough innovation to co-exist alongside these awesome communities! I just wish I wasn't so limited by time and money so that I can put all my focus here.

I also like that users are able to interact with industry professionals on BGG. I think that part will come naturally as our community grows (that's my hope, at least). I interview lots of different people regularly, so what do you think about us hosting an AMA when I release my interview? (I've always wanted to do this but we just haven't had enough of an audience to hold one).

Thanks for sticking around--as a growing community, each person chipping in makes a huge difference. The upcoming months will be filled with exciting news, so I hope you'll be pretty surprised!

Skurvy5 24 days ago | 2 points

What brought me to this website in the first place was a Reddit post about the price tracking feature. I understand it’s not exactly perfect but it is working decently enough for me. 

Once you are more confident in the feature I would make that more obvious. 

I don’t mind the clean white look of the website actually. 

To make the landing page look less like a store perhaps eliminate some of the categories of games. Maybe just go with Historically Lowest Prices and Clearance Games (Or whichever you feel is the most important) and then have an option to customize or display more options.

To emphasize the articles I would perhaps format the thumbnails differently and possibly include a few lines of the article to help differentiate the articles from the games for sale.  

Haha, that's awesome. It's really cool how much visibility we sometimes get through our Reddit posts. I'm glad the price feature has been okay for you. I think my biggest complaint has been that I can't have enough confidence to share a "historical low" sometimes because shipping costs end up offsetting it. But my personal use, though, I've enjoyed having all of the price and shipping info displayed.

For the look of the website, the feedback we've gotten has been very split. Some like it, and then there are those who in general hate a "modern" design where there seems to be too much empty space. I like the current look and feel, but do I agree that it needs work.

A lot of what you mentioned about the home page (on the different categories of games) has been what Trent and I have been bouncing back and forth about. We're thinking of keeping only two-ish of the categories and using the freed up space to highlight the community engagement and user contributions. We're also thinking of not including the forum section in the home page since it doesn't seem as necessary anymore, and more and more people are heading straight to the forum anyway (so we'll have plenty of space to make stuff happen!) As you mentioned, I think giving users the ability to customize the layout and background/design elements will help a lot in the future.

sdirrane 26 days ago | 1 point

Sorry, also I'd love to see an Icon that is associated with the website, kind of like Facebook has the F or whatever.  Maybe some kind of globe avatar or something like that.

philryuh 26 days ago | 1 point

Our current logo is the blue circle you see at the top of the page with the navigational symbol that resembles the "A" in Atlas. Were you hoping for a different logo? Just wasn't sure what you were wanting to see!

sdirrane 26 days ago | 1 point

Ahh that makes sense.  I guess that sort of reminds me of a computer click arrow.  Maybe something with a little more pop?  I could be way off.  It might be why you are making the website and I'm just commenting.  Ha.

I'm the one who put together the logo and the default avatars for the website :)

I'm an illustrator (hence my interviews of board game artists) so graphic design is a completely new thing that I started helping out with when we launched and when I was hired by Trent to do the art on our game Ultimate Fighters.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm new at this so you can feel free to give as much feedback as you can! As for things like rebranding, I'm sure there will come a time when we'll make everything look better after we get all of the features we want on here haha

sdirrane 26 days ago | 2 points

Sounds great.  I have to say I’ve really enjoyed my time interacting on the forums since I started a couple of weeks ago.  Keep up all the great work!

Thank you! We're trying our best to revamp everything and get the word out about us. Thanks for sticking around and I'm glad you're liking what you see so far. It may not seem like much, but everyone's effort to contribute to the community ends up making a huge difference so us.

The upcoming two months will be filled with lots of exciting news so I hope you'll like the surprise!

Skurvy5 24 days ago | 1 point

Actually I like the logo. I grasped what you were going for right away.  

epage 25 days ago | 1 point

I recently added a couple of games and was confused by how to add publisher / designer / artist.  I assumed the "add" button was not to save the value I typed in but to add a text box for a second one.  it was after saving the second game and then looking at the results that I noticed and had to go back and re-do it.

Thoughts

• Make it more like I assumed
  • Highlight the field until "added"
  • Warn about unsaved content when saving.

Many of our features are in need of feedback, so thanks! We're pretty good at introducing new features and ideas, but one of our shortcomings is on the UI side of things lol. Feedbacks like these help a lot though, and Trent will be working on improvements for the game pages so we'll definitely keep this in mind.