This site prioritizes game information. Would you like to keep that way or would you want to priortize game prices? Prioritize PricesPrioritize Information

(Change this option in the future in the Account dropdown)

Feedback Friday (2020-12-11)

Owner

For those who are new, this is where you can share your feedback on all things related to Board Game Atlas. You can also find more information in this article where I walk through the various features on BGA.

First off, there are couple of things I have to mention:

1. I am SOOOO behind on shipping the giveaway wins. I've been saying to the winners that I'll be getting to them this week but that did not happen unfortunately.. We have it all packaged up and will be getting them sent out Monday. Apologies for the long delay!!
  2. In addition to tons of features has been pumping out, we also worked on visual updates for our Kickstarter page. Plus, when a Kickstarter campaign features a video at the very top of its campaign page, that video will show up on our Kickstarter game page as well

Second, Trent and I will be taking a look at the main Forum page and the Home page to make some changes next week. There are some sections we find is either unnecessary, boring, or just needing a design update, so we'll be brainstorming together for that. For example, we're thinking of adding a small section on the forum (likely left column) highlighting the top 5 trending and hot game pages.

As always, please feel free to give feedback on anything and I hope you enjoy a weekend filled with gaming and lovely time with friends and family! :)

LikeTrophy| 110 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

41 days ago

My 2 main suggestions right now have to do with the notification page:

1. I think there should be a way to "read" notifications. For example, if I have over 10 notifications, it would be nice to click on one of them, resolve it, and then return to a page with the other 9 "unread" notifications. That way, when you go back, you don't lose track of which notifications you haven't seen yet.

2. I think it would be nice to have a separate notification badge for messages and not have it appear with the other notifications since messages can easily be lost in seas of notifications.

41 days ago

Great suggestions.  I've had experience with no. 1 a few times lately (probably nowhere near the number of times has... lol) and thought something similar. 

Premium User41 days ago

Hey you're adding to mine as we speak! 🤣

41 days ago

Intentionally. 🤣🤣🤣

41 days ago

oo yes #2, thanks for bringing that up. I've thought about that before but never remember it for these posts lol

41 days ago

Haha bro SAME. Finally remembered about these two after months of forgetting haha

Owner39 days ago

Great suggestions, and as you saw, we took the first step in the right direction as a result haha

40 days ago

definitely need a way to manage them. Logged on to about 50 once and didn't know what to do.

Supporter41 days ago

I am with you for the notifications. I literally had your first point in my mind as a suggestion I wanted to make this week. And, I really like the second point as well.

Premium User41 days ago

Can absolutely get behind number 1. I usually open my 50 million notifications on one page and force myself to open each one in a new window to reply because otherwise I know they'll all go away unless I click the see all notifications button. It's not the worst method but sometimes I know I've missed replying to someone (shame I know lol) and then I feel bad when I see it later.

40 days ago

I do the same thing haha

Premium User40 days ago

Yep then I get on the string of yours and am like oh man here we go again...

Supporter41 days ago

What I do is I open one notification, and then just "back back up" to the notifications page as well. If you just hit the back key twice after replying, it will take you back.

Premium User41 days ago

Interesting...I think I've done that before but again if I get other notifications as I do something like that (which happens a lot for me) the notifications don't show unless I click see all

41 days ago

Right?? I basically do the same thing just slightly different haha 

Premium User41 days ago

The problem for me is probably a personal one lol but sometimes like I'll respond to notifications in the morning before work but I always have too many so I have to leave the page open while I drive. Naturally the going in and out of desd zones aspect of driving messes it all up for me so it sometimes resets itself by like skipping my newer notifications. Always have to go back to make sure I read them all haha

41 days ago

My suggestion is to for the forum itself. It would be easier to navigate, search, and keep up with conversations if the forum was formatted more like a forum and less like a reddit thread.  6 replies to replies in and it becomes unreadable, not to mention the fact that who is replying to a comment further up gets lost. Extended conversations become hard to follow.

40 days ago

While I rather like the threaded format for conversations, I do find the navigation to be a little confusing. 

But I'm mostly talking about the left sidebar in the forum. At least, to me, it's more confusing than it needs to be and not exactly intuitive. Having filtering options and then "additional forum topics" feels/looks almost redundant. Aren't they essentially doing the same thing? Categorizing certain topics into more specialized sections? Or maybe the filtering needs to be explicitly stated as such; at first, I couldn't figure out if these were sub-topics or different sections whatsoever. I feel like there's a lack of logical organization, or the intentional design isn't as clear to me as it should. 

Owner38 days ago

We're working on clearing out the unnecessary/unused info on the left column. For now, we replaced them with the more practical quick links to other main pages. Later, we might just put in sections to show the Top 5 Popular and Trending games (the Trending games page needs to be fixed too--it's not reflecting the data right now at all)

By the way, to give you more context, we originally started out with the "flairs" system to organize forum posts. They work fine but don't get used much. I can see why haha. We then added in a feature called "topics" where it essentially functioned as a way to allow users to make their own folders, where they can link their own or others' content to. Eventually, I wanted it to allow users to create their own hub/subcommunity around these topics, which other users will be able to follow. We might still pursue something like that in the future, but for now we're putting it away until it's further developed.

Premium User38 days ago

So it would be like an individualized home page kinda?

Premium User40 days ago

At first I was confused as to what you were talking about..Then I looked and was like oh yeah that's never made any sense to me LOL

39 days ago

Yeah, it's also kind of hidden away. I definitely ignored it the first time I went to the forum pages haha. But I'm glad that you can understand what my feedback meant at least! Was kind of worried I wasn't making any sense. 

Premium User39 days ago

Oh yeah of course you made sense! 

41 days ago

This is something I've been noticing. While I disagree that a regular forum format would be better (I quite like the threaded conversations), I think that adopting something like how Reddit does it where once you get to a certain depth in a thread (5 or 6 like StickyWicket says), it shows "see more of this conversation" or something like that would be good. Opening a notification and loading the full page with all of the comments, especially if you're 10 deep in a thread, makes for a bad user experience since the later comments are all squished up on the right side.

Owner39 days ago

We'll be tackling this issue this week. Thanks for bringing it up! It's been mentioned by a few users in the past and it's been even way more prominent these days with the increased amount of activity in the forum

Premium User38 days ago

I wonder who's responsible for this increased activity? LOL

Premium User40 days ago

Yes agree with this and I like 's suggestion. I know Trent had mentioned it to me before and it would definitely be helpful. I talk way too much to the likes of and to the point where I run in this problem a lot. I could just stop talking but..where's the fun in that? :P

40 days ago

No way man. I enjoy people who talk a lot