Sneak peek at an article I'm working on

Supporter

I'm working on an article and the data I'm collecting has been so compelling to look at that I thought I'd share with you all here. I'm hoping to finish it up and publish it early this week, but I wanted to let everyone know on the secret before it gets seen by a much wider audience.

This is showing the trend of page views on #The King's Dilemma before and after Shut Up and Sit Down's glowing review of the game. I have similar charts gathered up for each of their game reviews/spotlights in 2020, and will be highlighting their impact on number of views on the game page, while also pointing out which games had their stamp for "SU&SD Recommends," and also how wide of a target audience these games have.

I hope you'll find the article interesting!

Like| 26 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Supporter7 months ago

This is very interesting. I've seen that happen with a number of games. Their Card game video recently did that.

Wil Wheaton's tabletop show had a similar affect

7 months ago

I think this will be fascinating. I love Sociological studies, or even why things "stick more" than others. 

Supporter7 months ago

I'm fascinated by studies like these, it goes well with my personality haha.

7 months ago

Oh I love that! I wonder what other channels have a large impact? I'm guessing rahdo and the Dice Tower, but certainly not to the same degree.

Supporter7 months ago

I agree, and I'll be asking you all for some additional data you'd be interested in seeing. I was thinking of looking at how Dice Tower's top 100 games of all time videos might affect trends. Curious is there's any significant impact on game page views and sales. I could also dive into our YouTube analytics and see if there's anything interesting.

7 months ago

Ohh that'd be fun too! For the top 100, I'm guessing it will have a small effect, as the number of people willing to sit through longer videos is much smaller than those willing to sit through a 10-15 minute one.

Supporter7 months ago

True true. Those are very long videos, so it's probably more of a study on how much of an impact there is in a phrase like "it was Tom Vasel's #1 game for 2020" getting passed around. And I'd also think there'd be less of a spike in traffic, but more of an overall increase that would be tough to pinpoint.

7 months ago

Very interesting article idea. Would love to see if any games took a dive after a negative review or if just the amount of views their videos get is enough to give a game the bump.

Supporter7 months ago

Hope to bring it to everyone soon. Will be working on it tomorrow.

And that's a great suggestion. I was planning to only cover their 2020 videos, but maybe I should instead take 10 videos from the past years instead, where some of them will be ones with glowing reviews, popular games they didn't like, and ones they were completely against. Let me know if you can think of any specific games! I'm thinking of Root, Crokinole, Blood on the Clocktower, Marvel Champions, etc.

I'm also planning to take a look at our Amazon analytics to see how their reviews might have affected trends in actual sales.

Supporter7 months ago

This will be incredible! Su&SD have a tremendous responsibility in their reviews. They’ve developed such a cachet that they are taken very seriously. 

Supporter7 months ago

They definitely do. And I like that they're using the platform to address more of the serious topics in the industry every now and then.

Supporter7 months ago

I'm excited to check it out and excited to see the results.  Considering that often times a bad review from SU&SD actually makes a game grow in interest for me.

Supporter7 months ago

Is it similar to how you mentioned that your ears perk up when Rahdo says a game is mean? What about SU&SD's bad review gets your interest? Is it that you just have a very different take on the games that they didn't like? (I do remember one example: #Root)

Supporter7 months ago

Yes very similar.  Just the fact that they've given such poor reviews to two of my favorite games.  (#Root and #Scythe).  It makes me feel like in general we like different games.  Although this isn't always true because I do think they like #Star Wars Imperial Assault.  Of course without getting any new games this year I haven't watched many of their reviews.

That's the other thing.  I tend to skip reviews unless I'm going to actually think about buying a game.  I'd probably watch more just for fun if I didn't have 4 kids.

Supporter7 months ago

Ohhh Scythe would be a good one for me to include in the article. At the same time, I don't think our Amazon analytics go that far back for me to look at the data.. :(

Supporter7 months ago

SU&SD feel like they focus more on the social aspect of gaming. Sure, they like mechanisms, but they are more interested in them as avenues is social interaction. As such, they tend to steer clear of heavier games, and often they don't like games that are great but tend to necesitate a little more concentration like Scythe or Root. 

Supporter7 months ago

I guess I haven't watched enough of their stuff to pick up on that.  I do think they are entertaining even if I don't always agree with them.

Supporter7 months ago

The quality of their videos is second to none. 

Supporter7 months ago

They are definitely really fun.  I think I prefer NPI overall though.  Maybe it's because they tend to like the games I like though?

Supporter7 months ago

I like NPI too and they also take extra steps in terms of cinematography and giving a good overview of the game. For SU&SD's videos I tend to like Quinns' take on the games more because I feel like he does a much better job at giving a good idea about the game, whereas the videos without him sometimes give off more focus on entertainment. I really liked their latest video on card games. It was my first time being so interested in buying a good card game.

Supporter7 months ago

NPI does a good job at poking fun at the right things in a game, and then making sure to point out that it's all in fun.

Supporter7 months ago

I hear that. I feel like I get a better idea of whether or not I will like a game from SUSD though. And, this is completely independent of them liking the game. Their video is #Scythe is what made me buy the game. 

Supporter7 months ago

Nice, similar to my experience with Rahdo.  Although I get a better idea from NPI.

Supporter7 months ago

Very very cool. I'm excited. 

Supporter7 months ago

Glad there seems to be enough interest! Will be asking everyone for some ideas on other data/analysis you'd be interested in.

Supporter7 months ago

Great. I'll try to think of stuff.