What did you play this week? (4/19/2021)

(4/19/2021) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

LikeLove| 44 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Premium User16 days ago

Not much for me last week...

#Caverna: The Cave Farmers - I released my hold at Miniature Market towards the beginning of this month (more on that in a forum post later) and, in that hold, I had the expansion to this, #Caverna: The Forgotten Folk Expansion. After reading through the rules to each faction (and ultimately trying to be as lazy as possible while setting up lol), I decided on the Humans - boring I know. The main differences from the base game for the faction were being able to let twin fields/meadows tiles hang over the edge of the board and being unable to build twin cavern/tunnel twin tiles. I played solo and was surprised how quickly the game moved along. It's too bad the game has so many components and requires a lot of set up, because I had a lot of fun.

#Trick Shot - I wasn't planning on buying games in April, but when the publisher sent me an email about the extra copies going up on the website, I couldn't resist. I also played this solo..well two handed I guess lol..and man was this a good time! Now I just have to get the minis painted!

#Biblios - Continuing to get through our 10 x 5 challenge, we broke this out last week. I'm still not sure if we're fully grasping the strategy if there is one, but we had fun playing it. I've only ever played this at 2 and that feels like a bad thing, so I'll have to give it a shot with more players for our final 4 plays.

#Carcassonne - One of Sarah's picks on the challenge. It's weird because I generally don't think about this game and often forget we have/overlook it when we're deciding what to play. But sure enough, after we play, I get the desire to buy more content for it.

Premium User16 days ago

We have #Carcassonne: Expansion 1 - Inns & Cathedrals and highly recommend it. Some of the expansions seem like they change the game pretty significantly. This one doesn't, just adds a bit more, and what it adds is good. I take it out for new players, but if it's just you two, it's great.

Premium User16 days ago

I'm pretty sure that's the one I have on my wishlist right now, although I think I just picked it as a placeholder for any expansion lol. Good to know it doesn't change much, thanks for the recommendation!

15 days ago

I was just playing #Carcassonne online. It was the first time in a long time and I forgot how fun it was. I have not played the others. People have such great things to say about Caverna. I am an #Agricola fan so I need to check that out.

Premium User14 days ago

Yeah that's what I'm saying! It's always a lot more fun than I expect it to be.

Definitely check it out. The rule book for Caverna would be so easy to get through if you know how to play Agricola. They have sections highlighted to denote the differences between the games for fans of Agricola.

Premium User16 days ago

Caverna is a favourite of mine as well.  Finding the expansion is pretty hard but I have played it online with my friends in Tabletop Simulator.  Asymetrical player powers are always fun but I figure I can grab it when I see it.

17 days ago

Got to play some #Draftosaurus on Board Game Arena. It is a very quick and easy drafting meets roll-n-write game. You pass around colored dinosaur tokens in the same way you would draft cards. Everyone has a score card with 6 different scoring areas. A dice is rolled which always determines around 3 of the 6 scoring areas that you can place a drafted dinosaur token in. They all have different scoring rules like if they are all the same you get points, all different you get points and so on. You have 12 moves to put together the right mix of sets to hopefully get a good score. The "pro" version is where you play the front side of the score cards that has its own rules (summer) and then you do the same for the back side of the card that plays the same but has different rules (winter). Played at 2 players to teach someone, which was not enjoyable, and then several games at 4 players which were.

I started playing arena mode and got up to Silver. Currently ranked about 441st. 

Premium User17 days ago

This game sparks my curiosity...

Premium User16 days ago

After a few plays of it on BGA, it quickly moved up my wishlist. Definitely one you can play with the whole family!

17 days ago

It is very easy and quick to play. It reminds me of #That's Pretty Clever but drafting with others instead of with yourself.

13 days ago

I just got my copy of this from Game Nerdz and introduced it to my family last week.  It is easy and quick, and a lot of fun. I'd played it at least a dozen times on Board Game Arena while I was waiting for the physical game to arrive.  I do like the tactile nature of this game and the dino meeples are just great!  Wade, I think it's perfect for kids- drafting, multiple choice options, some strategy, and most everything earns points.  The double-sided board is similar and different enough to create interest without getting confused.

Premium User12 days ago

I may or may not have put it on my wedding registry......

12 days ago

🤣  Do you both have a date set?

Premium User12 days ago

Yes! October 16th of this year :)

12 days ago

Congratulations!

Premium User12 days ago

Thank you!!! Coming up quick!

Premium User16 days ago

Had a great week of gaming! My wife and I went on a trip with some friends, and we managed to pack several games and played every evening.

• #Ticket to Ride: Europe @ 4p - (not on our trip) had a couple friends over and played this. Great fun.
  • #Hive Pocket - my wife and I played this in the airport. I positioned myself for victory in the next move... which blinded me to the fact that I actually set up my wife for victory, so she won, haha
  • #Everdell 1x @ 4p - we all love this game, so we had to play it. Or friends packed their copy; I want about to pack ours, lol.
  • #War Chest 4x @ 2p - played this several times over the weekend with my friend. This was the one game he requested that we bring because he really wanted to try it. I win every time, but he loved it still.
  • #Dale of Merchants 1x @ 4p - I think everyone enjoyed this, and it was a super close game!
  • #Carcassonne 1x @ 4p - great game as always
  • #Sushi Go Party! 2x @ 4p - always a hit
  • #Love Letter - we kinda played this at a restaurant but didn't really get to finish.
  • #7 Wonders Duel 1x - taught my friend this one too. He had played the original before but not this one. We were separated by one point, with me taking the victory!

Premium User16 days ago

Wow, that is a good week!  Not much to say about the games.  It's a good set of them for sure.  Do you have the 2019 version of Love Letter?  It's probably the best of the bunch in my opinion.  Added just enough to hit a sweet spot without overdoing it.

Premium User16 days ago

I believe so, that's the version that plays up to 6 players, right? That's the one I have. It has a little cloth baggie for storage.

Premium User16 days ago

That's the one.  

The original version is fine but for me it wasn't enough players as I played it at work during lunch break (back when we did that) and we often had 5 or 6 people. 

I also had the deluxe premium version which was very nicely done but it doubled the roles which moved the game in to being too hard to teach for what it was range.

The new version is perfect.  6 players but not a lot more to teach and the new roles fit in nicely with the existing ones.  

Premium User16 days ago

Nice! I don't know which roles are the new ones, but they're all pretty straight-forward. The only kind of weird one is the Spy, so I'm guessing that's a new one.

Premium User16 days ago

The chancellor is also new I believe. 

17 days ago

Life has been really busy but I finally got into a nice groove this week!

• #Star Realms x2 with Melanie. I won with only 2 life left the first game then Melanie stomped me the second game...
  • #Russian Railroads x3 through BGA. I am getting worse at this game...either that or I am playing better people lol. I still really enjoy this though. If anyone wants to try it out on BGA let me know and we can start a game!
  • #Lost Ruins of Arnak on TTS - This was fun! The easy comparison is to #Dune: Imperium and they both have different flairs. Arnak feels like the Euro gamers preference and Dune is more the thematic gamer preference but they both are fun!
  • #Fort @ 4-players - I really enjoy this game but I will say 4 players seemed a little too much. 3-players is the sweet spot and drafting cards before hand definitely makes it more balanced!
  • #Hansa Teutonica: Big Box @ 4 players - This game is just great. I felt like I got a solid strategy going this time around but fell short by 4 points of the win. I let the game drag on too long!

Premium User17 days ago

Russian Railroads is a favourite of my group.  It's just balanced so well and the play time is perfect in my opinion.  Wonderful game.

We've played Hansa Teutonica once and it was good but definitely need another round or two of it to really get it.  

Fort fell pretty flat for me but I can see how it is enjoyable for others.

17 days ago

RR is definitely a nice little game. It feels a little like Chess where there are opening and obvious moves but I still cannot comprehend how people score 500 points in this lol. 

Hansa Teutonica is great. The strategy is for sure not super clear but its really snappy and can be played very quickly once everyone knows it all!

What caused Fort to fall flat?