philryuh

Board Game Atlas Giveaway (Winner on May 24, 2020)

BGA
Here's the info for the next round of giveaway!

Starts: Monday, May 11
Ends: Sunday, May 24

You will get +1 entry every time you complete any of these actions to contribute to our community:
  • Make a post on our forum or write an article
  • Comment or reply on posts/articles
  • Add/edit info on a game page
Each contribution is 1 additional entry and there's no limit to your contributions.

Thanks everyone for continuing to make this community a great one! And as always, which game will get if you won?

4 points by philryuh - updated 2 days ago | 80 comments | report | subscribe

Skurvy5 Supporter13 days ago | 3 points[-]

Love this community and this website. Just happy to be part of the crew!

philryuh Supporter13 days ago | 1 point[-]

Now if you did win, which game would you get? :)

Skurvy5 Supporter13 days ago | 1 point[-]

Root expansion or Viticulture. Maybe. Probably. I dunno. Don’t ask hard questions. 

Love4boardgames 6 days ago | 1 point[-]

I enjoy looking at the responses to these giveaway posts, but my list of games I would love to have keeps getting larger! 

nealkfrank 13 days ago | 3 points[-]

Every time I think it will be my time...it is not lol. Still enjoy being a part of the discussion :) 

philryuh Supporter13 days ago | 2 points[-]

I'm sure your time will come again Neal, just has to happen before we grow fast haha

nealkfrank 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

I have been seeing some new faces around here so here is hoping!

Love4boardgames 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

I received a notification shortly after the contest ended, so for a few seconds I thought I had won. :)

That is rough! Just so you are aware, it would be a direct message from Phil letting you know!

Thank you for that information! I love following games and getting notifications when someone writes an article, review, etc, but since the notification coincided to my checking to see if I had won, I just jumped to the wrong conclusion. :)

nealkfrank 6 days ago | 1 point[-]

edit: My bad, I thought I was responding to seomthing else! sorry for the confusion on my comment AND the situation you were in lol.

KingoftheHilltop 13 days ago | 2 points[-]

I just want to say, I am looking at something like #Century: Golem Edition – Eastern Mountains. However, I just want to say that I have been loving your new Play log updates. Those have been awesome and has really helped me to look at what I have been playing to make sure I round out my game play experience this year.

I love #Century: Golem Edition!

I didn't realize the expansion was out for the Golem Edition.

KingoftheHilltop 6 days ago | 1 point[-]

I didn't realize it either, though I don't think it is an expansion as a different game on the some of the same ideas. At least, that's been my take on it.

removed

Comment deleted.

HooperGirl 11 days ago | 1 point[-]

This is the first I've heard of this! I thought Plan B swore Golem was a one-off thing. But it's popularity must have finally convinced them to make volume two. The crystal game pieces are really pretty and convinced my friend to get the Golem Spice version over the original Century Spice after we played it.

KingoftheHilltop 11 days ago | 1 point[-]

Yeah, I was reading about it but the Golem version just has so much more character and component wise it is just so much better! They gave in to pressure and ended up making the Golem line there own thing. Which I appreciate since it just feels and looks better.

Nice! I do love the flavor of it and the pretty pieces, but now I already have the originals. 😂😂 So boring old wooden squares it is! 

theDL 13 days ago | 1 point[-]

That game looks cool! I think the 2nd one was Tom Vasel's least favorite of the trilogy, but he did say he still likes it. I love the idea of a trilogy of games that can all be combined.

KingoftheHilltop 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

Did they ever come out with the 3rd one?

theDL 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

Not yet for the Golem theme. The original theme, yes.

Glad you're making good use out of the improved feature. Let us know if you keep finding yourself wishing something was different or if there could be a nice addition! What do you think about these as future additions? They're just some ideas I've talked with Trent about before, but don't know how we'll approach them yet:

• When logging a play, if it's your first play on the game, it will let you know if you haven't rated the game yet and will ask if you want to rate/give it a review
  • Give you an option to take a picture or insert a picture with the log

I saw what Eastern Mountains looked like a while back and it looked interesting, because I typically like something heavier than the regular Century Golem.

KingoftheHilltop 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

I like the offer to rate a game but I think even more for me is I would like the rating and reviews you see show how many games the people who played it log. This would be something similar to what Steam does with hours. I think it would be some helpful information to see how many times a person logged a play in that game.

philryuh Supporter10 days ago | 1 point[-]

Ooops, I didn't know I already replied to your comment before haha. Trent mentioned a few times that he likes the way Steam handles ratings/reviews. Number of hours/plays spent on the game would be a great metric to see to value of a person's review, at least if you're not just looking for a "first impressions" take on the game.

I like the offer to rate games. That would be super helpful!

BenjaminK 13 days ago | 2 points[-]

I want a Star War. I also want a specific Star War to be under $60 haha

Love this community. If you ever decide to stop doing giveaways...I'll be here just as frequently. You and Trent have made a great place for us nerds to gather.

philryuh Supporter13 days ago | 2 points[-]

So have you considered #Unmatched: Battle of Legends, Volume One yet?

And thanks Ben! Hopefully, we'll be able to do even more giveaways in the future, though I doubt the probabilities will be as favorable a year or two from now lol

BenjaminK 13 days ago | 2 points[-]

I've looked into it, and while it does look good, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. It's got a lot of good reviews though, so that gives me hope. And people who love Epic Duels also enjoy it, so it makes me less hesitant. 

Skyw3rd 13 days ago | 1 point[-]

While I've never played Star Wars Epic Duels, I did recently get #Unmatched: Battle of Legends, Volume One and we love it. It's quick, strategic and exciting. I'm definitely all in for expansion (whenever they come back in stock at a good price)

BenjaminK 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

Good to know. Maybe I'll look into it even further... :)

I’ve been playing #Star Wars Imperial Assault again and it’s so so fun. Wish you were here!

BenjaminK 13 days ago | 1 point[-]

One day I'll be back up, and we have to play! Show me the ways of the Force.

theDL 13 days ago | 2 points[-]

Hmm not too sure. #Concordia Venus (Standalone) has interested me for a while. #Western Legends looks great too, and I'm sure my group would get into it. Missing baseball has me more interested than ever in #Baseball Highlights: 2045. I think #War Chest could be a lot of fun too, though my friends don't tend to prefer abstracts in general. I'm sure I could get them to play, though.

I still have to try regular Concordia.

theDL 11 days ago | 1 point[-]

Same here. I'd probably just get the version with the Venus expansion because you can play the base game if you want, and it has more maps. Plus the box art is a lot better lol.

Game art makes a difference! 

The only way for me to get my abstract strategy/tactics fix is through apps haha. I've tried out Hive and Onitama so far. And... I have Concordia headed my way :)

nealkfrank 12 days ago | 2 points[-]

NICEEE!!!! I am glad that is coming your way! I cannot wait to hear about it!

Marshwiggle92 Supporter12 days ago | 1 point[-]

Oh my. Concordia too... That is exciting.... 

ooo jealous! I would so love to try this game, but I have no idea how my wife would feel about it. I also have no idea how my friends would feel about it. One of my friends is a big theme guy, so I'm not sure how he'd feel about something as apparently dry as Concordia.

And the #Santorini app is quite good if you're interested in that one.

Definitely not much theme happening in IConcordia but the mechanics are very slick!

BenjaminK 13 days ago | 1 point[-]

I really like Western Legends. Very fun open-world, sandbox game. Sandbox because of its theme, I assume.

Yeah it sounds like a lot of fun and I've never played a sandbox game like that. The theme also just looks awesome.

KingoftheHilltop 2 days ago | 1 point[-]

Maybe #Raiders of the North Sea or #Unearth. Lots of good options that I have been eyeing.

Casmodean 4 days ago | 1 point[-]

Very happy to have recently discover this community!

I'd probably go for Wingspan (very intrigued by it), or maybe a few of the Tiny Epic games. Also interested in Spirit Island.

rcampbell04 4 days ago | 1 point[-]

So awesome for you guys to do something like this! Really appreciate everything you guys do with this site.

lanista 5 days ago | 1 point[-]

#Scythe, #The Quacks of Quedlinburg or #Root are all in my radar. Probably Quacks though since it looks like the most streamlined, fun for my partner.

trentellingsen Supporter4 days ago | 2 points[-]

I recommend #The Quacks of Quedlinburg it’s my favorite game of 2019 and is so great to play with any group

lanista 4 days ago | 1 point[-]

uff I'm so tempted, I've got my finger on the trigger now lol. Might not even wait till sunday.

wieczorek 6 days ago | 1 point[-]

I've been eyeing #Flamme Rouge and #Flamme Rouge: Peloton Expansion and this would probably get me to finally buy them! Unless #Nemesis is available near me again.

Love4boardgames 9 days ago | 1 point[-]

Trying again forThe Quacks of Quedlinburg!

Denomfug 10 days ago | 1 point[-]

I would love a copy of #Underwater Cities

Stone Age. 😊

I've heard Wingspan is good! Still have to try it! We've played Century Eastern Wonders a couple times, but other than that it hasn't made it to the table and we haven't tried combining them yet!

unsingefou 11 days ago | 1 point[-]

Still hoping for #The Quacks of Quedlinburg or maybe #Azul!

Thackabe 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

Always love these giveaways 

So, what would you pick?

Courageous Bob 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

I am still holding out hope for #878: Vikings - Invasions of England it just looks like such a good time, with lots of laughs and not too heavy so you can just go with your gut and hope the dice like you

sdirrane Supporter12 days ago | 1 point[-]

I've been waiting on a win for #Architects of the West Kingdom for so long I think it may have passed me by.  Now I'm eyeing #Empires of the Void II more cloesly.

Do you mean that your interest in Architects has waned?

sdirrane Supporter12 days ago | 1 point[-]

Yeah.  It could be that I haven't been looking closely at new board games, especially during quarantine.  I am trying to not purchase more than one game this year, and I have already purchased one.  It may also be that I've been looking into video games a bit more during quarantine as well.

But also, I have Raiders, and I know they are different but they still have Worker Placement as a main mechanic.  Empires is a game that has some Mechanics I don't really have in my collection yet.

Makes sense. I've definitely had that happen with some games as well.

Courageous Bob 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

I have both, and have found they really fill different niches in my collection (which admittedly is not that big). They both do interesting spins on worker placement, but I found raiders to be very focused on efficiency whereas architects is about engine building and charting your path to victory (hopefully) as it has a lot more ways to score points.

You should add to your list of owned games on here so I can stalk your collection :)

philryuh Supporter12 days ago | 2 points[-]

Should we send notifications whenever a user you follow changes his/her wishlist/owned list? lol

"Woah @sdirrane, you just violated your 1 game a year limit!"

sdirrane Supporter11 days ago | 1 point[-]

Haha, awesome.  You can keep me honest.

Lol.... 

I do check out peoples collections.... Not sure I would want to be notified about them though. 

philryuh Supporter12 days ago | 1 point[-]

Yeah, it's not happening (unless @sdirrane specifically requests a wish feature for all of us to keep tabs on him)

@sdirrane. Make that request....!!! 

Lol, that's getting a little Big Brother-ish!

At this point I have no idea what I would get.... It took me over 24 hours to pick in the GAW I just won.

Well what did you pick??

I haven't heard back from Phil yet, so I will wait to reveal until I have my choice confirmed...... I will probably write a post about what I picked and why, suffice to say that it represents a genre I don't feel like is represented in my collection.

Smaggler 10 days ago | 1 point[-]

Have you chosen as yet?  I find a lot of your game choices align with some of my interests.

Marshwiggle92 Supporter10 days ago | 1 point[-]

If you want a long answer, I wrote a post about it. Here it at https://www.boardgameatlas.com/forum/OK6FtLZT8D/my-choice-of-prize

If you want the short answer I ended up choosing #1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties

👍

Skyw3rd 13 days ago | 1 point[-]

I'm thinking of just spending some of my stay at home time adding things to games to get entries. I recently did it for games like #Roll Player and its expansions as well as #Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale and #Lockup: A Roll Player Tale. I usually don't have too much to say, but helping build out entries could be nice.  

Good deal. 

Linked Topic