Top Board Games of 2019 Holiday Season - Most Viewed vs. Most Ordered

Owner
Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Owner11 months ago

I'm a numbers guy. So I made a very big graph.

Thinking back, I'm not entirely sure it was worth the struggle putting all this data together, but hey, I'll be satisfied if there's at least one person who likes looking at stuff like this :)

Things to consider:

• The data for game pages viewed are all from Board Game Prices (which we acquired back in October).
  • The data for games ordered is from our Amazon analytics and leaves out purchases on non-Amazon stores. It combines BGA and BGP purchases, but probably 95% or more is all from BGP

Things I noticed:

• Wingspan takes the crown as always.
  • There are a number of popular (most viewed) game pages that have little to no orders - these are all of the Essen/new releases not yet available on Amazon, or games like Root that have limited availability.
  • Since it's the holiday season, most of the top purchased games are suitable for family gatherings. Some are also expensive/luxury items for a nice gift to someone/to yourself (e.g. Gloomhaven).
  • The latter half of games share a very high ratio of number of orders to number of views - these games aren't trending/hot but have great/decent ratings - Apples to Apples takes the cake with this one, where it's seen 12 orders but have practically zero views.

11 months ago

I love looking at graphs like this, so when I am able to view it I am sure I will appreciate your hard work haha

11 months ago

Gloomhaven still being big is nice, good for Isaac

Owner11 months ago

It really is. I do wonder what will be in store from Cephalofair in the post-Gloomhaven era

Supporter11 months ago

Cool I like the stats :) but I am also kind of a numbers guy. There are always some surprising games in these lists. Its good to browse and check the games I haven t heard about.

Supporter11 months ago

I too find these extremely interesting. Thanks for posting Phil!

Supporter11 months ago

This is intriguing. 
It is also intriguing that this is what you do for "fun" ;) 

Owner11 months ago

Haha nope, there are so many things I'd rather do but it's a nice break from only working on interviews :)

Supporter11 months ago

Pleased with the interviews you are getting lined up? 

Owner11 months ago

I currently have Vincent Dutrait and Xavier Collette (Abyss) so very satisfied! I'm in the middle of interviewing a person named Phillip Millman who is an admin and an active member of the Boardgame facebook group. It's outside of the usual group of interviewees but I think people will find it an interesting read haha

Supporter11 months ago

That sounds great. 

Supporter11 months ago

Very cool graph. 

11 months ago

That's pretty neat. Thanks for taking the time to do this! 

Owner11 months ago

You're welcome! Let me know if there's ever some interesting data you'd like me to dig into.

11 months ago

Is this viewable on a phone? I can’t seem to open it

Supporter11 months ago

I had a little boy of trouble with that as well. 

Supporter11 months ago

Considering that little boys can get into lots of trouble this was an amazing typo. 11/10. Would laugh again. 

Supporter11 months ago

Yeah.. I saw the typo, but I liked it so I left it. 

11 months ago

It was just low res for me

Owner11 months ago

Hmmm that's strange, it should open (the image may appear very low res depending on the phone).

Here's a quick rundown of only the top 10 games if it's not working for you right now:

Top 10 Viewed Game Pages:

1. Wingspan
  2. Root
  3. Nemesis
  4. Maracaibo
  5. Brass: Birmingham
  6. Quacks of Quedlinburg
  7. Tapestry
  8. The Taverns of Tiefenthal
  9. Marvel Champions
  10. Gloomhaven

Top 10 Most Ordered Games:

1. Wingspan
  2. Azul
  3. Gloomhaven
  4. Spirit Island
  5. Cartographers
  6. Horrified
  7. Castles of Burgundy (20th Anniversary Ed.)
  8. Wavelength
  9. Arkham Horror - The Card Game
  10. Wingspan European Expansion

11 months ago

Well, other than wingspan and gloomhaven haha

11 months ago

Thanks for putting those here. That’s kind of funny, the most viewed are the idealistic wish games. The other top 10 are the realistic options hahaha

Owner11 months ago

I know right? As much as I'd love the opportunity to play some of the trending games with my family, it just isn't ideal :\

11 months ago

Oh for sure. There may be a game I really want but I’d much rather have a game I could play with my groups or my wife.

Supporter11 months ago

That's exactly what I thought. 

11 months ago

Haha nice!

Premium User11 months ago

So nerdy!  I love it!  I didn't see ICE Cool 2 on there (My son got that for Christmas this year) but most of the games I bought for others or received myself are on this list.  Thanks for posting this :)

Owner11 months ago

Glad you enjoyed it! ICECOOL is one that I've always thought of getting for my family once my son gets older.

11 months ago

Also do you recommend one over the other?

11 months ago

Side question: what’s the biggest difference between ice cool 1 & 2? Considering buying one of them!