1775: Rebellion (First Impression, kind of).

Supporter

Turns out sometimes you do get a second chance at a first impression.

I enjoyed the few times I played #1775: Rebellion when I first picked it up 4 years ago.  I think at the time I was trying to get into too many new games and was looking for more complexity in games.  It's definitely a light war game.

However, I was able to try out the Introductory Scenario again today with my daughter (she just finished her American Revolution History Lesson), and it was a lot of fun.  Granted the introductory scenario is very simple and lacks a lot of the great historical cards that can be played, but it's a great way to get your feet wet.

This is definitely a game I will be getting to the table again with my daughter but also with my gaming group.  It honestly was a lot better even this time than I remember when I played it all the way out.  I do think it'd be a lot of fun 2 v 2 but works well 1 v 1 as well.

I know that #878: Vikings - Invasions of England has been in discussion a lot recently and this is partially it's predecessor so I think I can say that those looking at 878 would enjoy it if they pick it up.

PS - The United States was on the wrong side of history this time, haha.

Like| 30 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Supporter5 months ago

What was it this second time around that made it feel so much better?

Supporter5 months ago

I think when I first played it I had a lot of new games because I had just gotten into the hobby and those games took center stage.  Also, it's rare for me to have 4 players.  Technically you can play at 3P but it would be awkward and I almost never have 2P game nights.

So it ended up sitting in exile for a while.  But it really is a nice quick and light war game.  There is dice rolling but the rolls are based on the units historically, and there are rolls that can come up that allow you to make a decision on what to do with your troops so it's not as bad or random as a normal D6 like Risk.

Playing the historically based cards is also really satisfying.

Short answer, I think I was into games with more complexity when I first got into the hobby but this is a great game for war strategizing with an easy set of rules.

Supporter5 months ago

Got it. Very cool! I’m not a big war gamer in this sense but a game like this that has the flavor but a simpler rules set could be a good one for someone like me to find out if its a genre I’d like. 

Supporter5 months ago

I haven't played a lot of war gaming so I'd have to do more research but considering I like combat and negative player interaction I'm sure I'd like them.  I do usually like more than just moving troops and battling usually though.

Supporter5 months ago

Yeah i usually like those games if there is more of an economy that you need to engage with to back up your troops and attacking

Supporter5 months ago

I think being able to find a way to incorporate more would be really awesome, particularly in this game.  Like @Courageous Bob was saying, adding some of the outside factors would be really interesting.

A simple finance variant could be fun.  For instance, each turn you can put out 4 groups of troops (with any troops that fled during the last battle as well).  Perhaps there could be an economic variant where you have a certain amount of cash and you need to spend cash to put those new troops out (with a max of 4, keeping the fled troops free because you've already paid for them).  As the game progresses you could run out of money limiting your access to troops.  Perhaps you can skip a recruiting stage to earn money to use on your next turn.  I think this would cause the game to get a bit longer but could be fun.  It would also add to the end game requirement of playing truce cards.  One army from either side of the war must play a truce card to end the game, once both do then there is one round left.  I may hold back if I'm in an economically poor position for my final turn and try to drag the war out hoping that I can find a windfall somewhere.

There could be variant cards added that allow you to grown your economy as well as a one time bonus.  Maybe a John Adams card could be played to give you additional funds for the American for instance.

Supporter5 months ago

This sounds like fun variant though I don’t know enough about the game. The other variant that could work for many war games is that you need to run supply lines behind your soldiers to one or more food stockpiles. So as you advance, you need to simultaneously extend your supply lines or risk a less effective fighting force (less combat or defense strength). This would also allow the other player(s) to also target supply lines to cut them off or re-route them to their own forces. 

Supporter5 months ago

This is also a fun idea!

Supporter5 months ago

Maybe we need to design something ? Haha

Supporter5 months ago

I think someone when I first started being active in the forum was trying to put together a game design with input from the community.

Supporter5 months ago

cool!

5 months ago

That could be cool, and make sending a massive army smashing into the enemy risk as if it get cut off it is easy pickings

5 months ago

That said, sending massive armies smashing into the enemy is a lot of fun, so I would maybe do it anyway!

Supporter5 months ago

Well now you’d have to make sure to eliminate enough of your enemy so that coming for your supply lines not as helpful. But this combined with terrain rules could protect those lines. 

Supporter5 months ago

I'm officially working on an Economic/Garrison Variant.  I'll share it when I finish.

Supporter5 months ago

Sweet!

5 months ago

Nice! I am glad you got to play it with her :) I will be really interested to know how she responds to the historical teaching aspect we discussed a while back, do let me know. 

And yes, just waiting for the opportunity to get 878 for less than all the money in the world, but there is no rush as at the moment I wouldn't be able to play it much anyway 😅

I wonder if once she is familiar with the game/events you could modify it slightly to include some kind of political aspect to round out the story? Like rallying local support for either cause in America, courting the French for the US and convincing parliament it is worth still worth fighting for the English?

Supporter5 months ago

Yeah, it will take time to get through all the aspects of the game.  Yesterday I focused on the different troops (British - Army, Loyalist Militia and Hessians) (Americans - Continental Army, Patriot Militia, and French).

I also briefly spoke about how the dice were made (but I'll do that in more detail later).  

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the game from looking into 878 (I would imagine there are some similarities), but there are three "scenarios" that come built into the game for different types of play.  But also, the Event cards in the deck do a lot of what you are describing.  Even the end game is triggered by Truce cards being played. 

It would be interesting to figure out a way to have an outside factor (Parliament or Congress) influence if you played the Truce card or not once you have it in your hand.  You could probably simulate that if you have 2 players on each side and give one player the role of government.

5 months ago

Yeah, I know a lot of the cards refer to events or themes during the war, I guess I was thinking of slightly more in depth system, kind of amassing political power that can give you an edge/bonuses, just to show how significant politics is in a war not just military might. Like French support being vital to the revolutionary's and British sympathy and American loyalism hampering both sides respectively. It is may e too light a wargame but I just thought as a teaching tool it could be useful to prevent too narrow a view

Supporter5 months ago

Now I'm full on trying to create an Economic Variant for this game.

Supporter5 months ago

I agree it would be cool to add that I just don't know how it would work.  I do like variants though.  Overall I'd say it's more of a military history with some other little tidbits thrown in.  I think the best way to get what you're looking for is to have someone play the role of the governments of each side in the war and not be directly involved in the military aspect.  Could be fun.

5 months ago

That could work, maybe reducing the number of French and Hessian soldiers (starting with none) and as the government players hit objectives/so much influence they can bring in these troops and control them so them can have a little influence on the combat (as that is fun) but otherwise they are producing cool effects/supporting the military campaign in less direct ways (producing troops, building forts/defences, demoralising the enemy)

Supporter5 months ago

Really cool idea.

5 months ago

That is a great story! How old is your daughter?

Supporter5 months ago

She's 7.  She has played Root and some other lower complexity games.  I do think she will need a teammate the next time we play though.  I think understanding where to move her units and how best to take areas is a bit beyond where she is at strategically.

5 months ago

7 and she's played Root? Wow! You've got yourself a great gamer in the making, haha

Supporter5 months ago

That's the hope. She played as the Marquise 3 times and then we played as the Eyrie against the Marquise Both once.

One thing that helps with getting her to understand how to play is by telling her what I'm trying to do and ask her how she thinks she should respond.

Supporter5 months ago

One day, she'll give you the greatest backstab ever and you'll be so proud lol

Supporter5 months ago

Oh my gosh, that is going to be one great day.  I can't wait.  You know I love my backstabbing in board games.

5 months ago

That's awesome. Good luck!