This site prioritizes game information. Would you like to keep that way or would you want to priortize game prices? Prioritize PricesPrioritize Information

(Change this option in the future in the Account dropdown)

What's your opinion of house rules? Do you play with any that actually work?

I tend to defer to the designer and assume that the rules are the product of a lot of testing by people who are smarter than me... but we have made a few exceptions

Sometimes we like to play with hidden information made public. In #Fort we like to have the made up rules public, so the other person can strategise around it. We plan to do the same in #Pax Pamir (Second Edition)

In #Spyfall, because it's so hard for new spies to remember what locations are available, we added a house rule that halfway through the game we pause the timer and each pass the locations around, making sure to look at it intently, just to give the spy a chance. Otherwise they have to conspicuously lean towards the location booklet which would just give them away.

In #Now Boarding we decided the 2p set up is too easy, so we've handicapped ourselves by removing a plane upgrade.

How about you?

Like| 87 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Supporter2 months ago

Often we play #Carcassonne wtih a "hand" of three tiles instead drawing and placing. This really deepens Carcassone which can be nice. Also, in Carcassone, the rules say that you draw your tile at the beginning of your turn. We always draw our tiles at the end of our turn. That way we have everybody elses turn to try to plan where to put it.

House rules in general..... The more varied the group the more important it is to follow the "real" rules. However, the more intimate the group, the more you can do you. This hobby is supposed to be fun, if there is a rule nobody likes, or a tweak that makes it more fun for everyone....That is just fine.

Premium User2 months ago

That sounds like an excellent idea ! Do you just draw the 3 tiles and choose one? Or do you have a market of tiles available? That might add to it even more.

Supporter2 months ago

I have tried having a market available. I didn't like it. I felt like it took the game to far into AP territory. And it made it into something, that I didn't think it wanted to be.

The way I generally play is, that at the beginning of the game, each player draws three tiles. Then, every turn, the player plays one and then draws one. But, he does not discard the other two tiles, they stay in his/her hand. Therefore, the player has a "hand" of three tiles to choose from each turn. This guarantees that the player has some limited choice, and opens up greater possibilties for planning. But, it retains much of the tactical nature of the game. 

Premium User2 months ago

That makes sense..I could see the hand of 3 causing a little bit of AP though if people are super into maximizing points. Sounds a bit like #Bandido the way you play. I'll have to play it again fairly soon, it's been neglected recently.

Supporter2 months ago

It very much could. And I never teach the game that way, or play it that way with people that are Too ap prone. 

Premium User2 months ago

Makes a lot of sense. I try to avoid playing with people like that as much as possible anyway lol

Supporter2 months ago

I don't try to avoid playing games with such people. But, I do avoid playing some games with such people.

Premium User2 months ago

There are a few in my group who just take forever regardless of the game so my view is a little biased.

Supporter2 months ago

I hear that. I try not to worry about it too much. I just try not to be the person with AP.

Premium User2 months ago

Yeah same here. Never like to bring down anyone's experiences.

2 months ago

Sorry that's me >.> That's why I'm a big fan of the turn-based games on BGA.  No one can tell I'm taking the calculator out to plan out exactly how much money I'm going to need to do all the things I want to do this round in #Clans of Caledonia

Premium User2 months ago

Hold on about to go cancel my game of #In the Year of the Dragon with you :P

But seriously that's fine I just prefer if it doesn't take people 10 min to math it all out every turn. To me it's kind of like play the game and if you don't make ideal moves that's cool, don't sweat it. It's all for fun anyway! I think sometimes with my fiancée in particular, she tries to figure optimal moves like that out because she doesn't want to lose to me lol.

Also, how do you like #Clans of Caledonia? I've never played nor looked at it but it's been suggested to me here and under the "games people like" section of many a game I enjoy on BGG. Maybe we should play that too!

2 months ago

Yeah I try to reign it in when I'm playing in person games but in turn-based all bets are off haha.  And I think I may have seriously messed up this game of #In the Year of the Dragon already.  There's really no room for error. But at least next time I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing. 

I think #Clans of Caledonia is going to be one of my favorites.  Its one of the games I always have going on BGA.  The economic angle is really interesting, trying to produce the right goods and manipulate the market stuff.  There are also many paths to victory and enough variation where each game you have to approach a little differently because of your unique player power.  Plus its mostly an independant type game where you're figuring out how to best use your own resources but you're also competing for space some and you can use neighbors to get cheaper stuff sometimes.  So there's just enough player interaction to make it challenging but not annoying.  I definitely recommend it!

Premium User2 months ago

I'm glad you feel the same way I do in#In the Year of the Dragon! I was just telling my fiancée I think I messed up already haha. It seems like you have to make perfect moves all the time so I'm with you there!

Everyone's love of Clans just has piqued my interest. Guess I should learn how to play and give it a try over there. I generally like games with limited interaction so I'm sure it would be great for me!

2 months ago

Right?  I feel like you're going to have to take some hits unless you're insanely good or lucky so you just have to decide which of them are going to hurt the least.

Premium User2 months ago

Yeah it for sure doesn't seem like you can keep all the people you recruited. I wish I kind of realized that sooner then I could have changed my strategy up a bit. Oh well we can always try again haha

2 months ago

Yes, definitely next time.  This one will be the practice game haha

Premium User2 months ago

Glad to hear that haha. I can't let this be my only play 

2 months ago

I was seriously considering getting Clans and the metal coins for Christmas... so close, but I ended up deciding to ask for some other games instead... BGA also got me into liking clans too!

Premium User2 months ago

👀what other games? Do tell!

2 months ago

Premium User2 months ago

You don't even remember them all? Bruuuuhhh how are you even a gamer? 

2 months ago

I know I hate myself sometimes

2 months ago

Haha jk 

I think the other ones might be#Nusfjordor viticulture 

Premium User2 months ago

Oh now you remember? LOL

Thosea are solid picks though. Gotta throw #Nusfjord on my wishlist. Thanks for the reminder.

2 months ago

One of my friends has a copy and we played once but it was only once I got to play repeatedly on BGA when I really started to appreciate it. 

Also, love metal coins as well =) 

2 months ago

either that or iron clays for money is the best!

Yeah i cant wait to play a physical copy of Clans!

2 months ago

The only game I've ever played with those was #Brass: Birmingham and they were a joy to use.  What other games have them?