I really like Expansions, when I feel like they add something new to the game (a slight change, a need to look at it differently from a strategic standpoint for example). Here are the expansions I have that I like the most...
5. #Raiders of the North Sea: Hall of Heroes Expansion - I really like Raiders, but this expansion really helps it shine. Without it, I could see the game getting dry quicky. I like that this Expansion allows you to try to find a different way to win besides gathering resources and raiding. The last time I played I focused mostly on Raiding, but the person who came in second focused on picking up the quests and using those to make offerings. They only lost by 2 and they only raided once or twice the whole game.
4. #Viticulture: Visit from the Rhine Valley - I could almost say 3 and 4 are on the same level. I love this expansion because it doesn't just add more to the game but actually changes the way you need to play. Unlike the original Viticulture cards this allows you to focus on the engine building of your winery, which is the most fulfilling (pun intended) aspect of the game.
3. #Tuscany: Essential Edition - While I like the area control aspect of this board, I realy like how the wake up chart changes and how there are more spots to build your engine. I particularlly like the spot that allows you the opportunity to mitigate one of the aspects of the base game that can really be frustrating (bad card draws). I would never play with the base board (unless I'm teaching the game).
2. #Root: The Underworld Expansion - I know some may look at my top 2 and say it's "cheating" because they are from the same game, but they are quite different. I really like the new deck in this and I love that it adds more variety with more boards. I also like both of the new factions (even though I've yet to play the Corvid Conspiracy). I love most of all that it give you a faction that can potentially allow you to not use the Marquise de Cat.
1. #Root: The Riverfolk Expansion - This one gets a slight edge because I love the factions that come with it. The Lizard Cult is my favorite, but I really liked the Riverfolk the one time I played them (and that was on TTS). I really can't wait to play the Riverfolk in real life.
Honorable Mentions: #Star Wars Imperial Assault: Heart of the Empire, #Scythe: Invaders from Afar Expansion (I should mention that I like this expansion when I want to play with 6 - 7 players, otherwise I don't care for these factions and typically they are not used in a game of 5 or less).
What do you like about Expansions? What are you favorites?