Feedback Friday! (2020-02-14)

Supporter
BGA

For those who are new, this is a weekly post where you can share your praises/complaints/wish features for our forum, game pages, content, etc. So, have at it and let us know your thoughts!

Also, I read through everyone's inputs on last week's post about the forum structure. @trentellingsen and I will talk and see how we can improve the experience in the future.

As for me... I'd love to see a revamp of two main things:

1. Revamp the play log feature for ease of use and add interesting statistics to look at/share.
  2. Game page - first, adjust the design/layout to be more efficient use of space and to show better hierarchy of info. Especially from PC, I'd like to be able to see all of the crucial info in one screen without needing to scroll so much. When you search for a game, I'd like it to take you straight to the game's page when you click on the suggested game title. Also, a game page doesn't show all of the pictures that users have added and some of the buttons don't work for "scrolling" to see the rest of them. Add weight/complexity ratings for rules vs. gameplay, and make this info prominent. I'm sure there are more, but I'd just love to see a revamped game page that will make me go to BGG less for info.

Like| 27 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

9 months ago

No real feedback, I'm just here to say I appreciate that you guys are so receptive and actively looking for input from the users. Thanks for everything you guys do to make BGA the best it can be!

Supporter9 months ago

Hahaha thanks! Really appreciated. Hope to see lots of new changes this year that everyone can enjoy.

Supporter9 months ago

It would be cool to have a public log of "Most Played this Week", "...Month", "...Year" for the site as a whole.

Supporter9 months ago

I finally read through everyone's suggestions here. And I agree, it'd be cool to see what the community is up to!

Supporter9 months ago

I sent this via email a few days ago:

Feedback so far:1. The All Games > By Popularity page
  • There's no clear indication of how games are ranked on that list. 
  • I'm not sure the prices are necessary on that page. Again, I'd rather see clearly why it is ranked so highly than see how much it might cost to buy
2. Game search.
  • It seems like there are multiple listings for individual games and it isn't clear which one is the "right" one to click on. Also, I would assume multiple listings mess with the Popularity rankings as well.
  • Stockpile is a good example of this. I search for it and the game is listed twice and the forums and ratings don't appear to be linked.
3. Game pricing - I really really like the pricing comparisons in the side bar of a game's page. I'm not entirely sure you need pricing represented everywhere else a game is shown though.

Supporter9 months ago

I especially agree with #3. It's a bit of an old remnant at this point because BGA originally started off with a store/price comparison focus. We shifted our focus to building a community after seeing what was the bigger need/wish from people who'd give feedback. A lot of our non-forum pages need to catch up to reflect the new focus.

Supporter9 months ago

If you see a duplicate listing, there's a button in the toolbox on the right side of a game's page where you can submit a note about a duplicate game and we will get notified so we can go look at it ( I fixed Stockpile).

9 months ago

I concur on both accounts.  BGG has a trade options and boardgame co is great but it would be nice to have a trade area on BGA for keeping games in a constant status for trade or purchase.

Supporter9 months ago

Love #1 

9 months ago

I'd love for a way to upload rulebooks to the site. Right now it seems like it's only possible to host them elsewhere and put a link on the game page. 

Supporter9 months ago

In the toolbox section of the game pages there's an "Add File" link where you can upload rulebooks or anything else you like! I probably need to make it more visible though so people can see it since I've been asked to add the feature a few times.

9 months ago

Huh, I never noticed the link. I think because it's small text under a big link box. 

Supporter9 months ago

That's cool. I'll need to check it out. 

9 months ago

When I get a game I do almost always scroll through the "Files" section on BGG to see if someone's created something interesting, so this would be a welcome addition in my book.

9 months ago

Same with me. Player aids, faqs, etc...

9 months ago

Yep. Player aids have been lifesavers in my plays of #Dune

Supporter9 months ago

Great idea 

Supporter9 months ago

I've really been wishing for a weight feature for the game pages. But, I love what y'all are doing. 

9 months ago

I love the weight feature. Honestly the weight, best player count, and play time features are what I look at most on BGG.

9 months ago

I would love a weight/complexity feature, but I wish it were implemented differently than BGG. I would prefer a broader range of categories rather than a single complexity score. Ratings could include the following:

Ease/Difficulty in learning the game.

Ease/Difficulty in teaching the game.

Ease/Difficulty in actual gameplay.

Ease/Difficulty in mastering strategies.

Game audience: Is the game great for newbies, casual gamers, or experienced gamers (or some combination)? How easy or difficult would it be to adjust the rules complexity for different play styles, abilities, and/or ages?

I know it would be difficult to implement, but the current BGG weight rating is so subjective and confusing to me as some games are easy to teach and play but are difficult to master, and other games can easily be made more or less complex with a few simple rules changes. I realize that these new ratings would also be subjective, but I think they would give a better idea of what to expect.

Supporter9 months ago

Great suggestions. I own three games that are all within 0.1 rating away from one another and they're all very different in what feeds into its complexity.

9 months ago

Hmm that's a good point. There are some games I've played that have similar weights according to BGG, but in my experience are actually pretty different levels of difficulty when it comes to learning/playing. I do think there should at least be a distinction between ease of learning and complexity of strategy, because as you say, some games may be easy to learn the basic rules, but the strategies may not reveal themselves through simply learning the rules. Other games may take some more learning to grasp the rules, but once you have that down, the rest of the game is smooth sailing.

9 months ago

Exactly! I hope that the community can develop a better measurement system to help people decide whether a game will work for themselves and/or their gaming group.

9 months ago

Let's do it!

Supporter9 months ago

Best player count and weight are my favorite features for BGG. So so good. 

9 months ago

It's very helpful when deciding on a game. Of course having the user base that BGG has helps a lot, because you can get a large sample of people's views on a game. But BGA will get there!

Supporter9 months ago

It is getting there. 

Linked Topic