philryuh

What are your Spiel/Kennerspiel des Jahres 2020 Predictions?

If this is your first time hearing of Spiel/Kennerspiel des Jahres, check out these articles:

From what I've seen, the nominations for the candidates will be announced in mid-May assuming there are no changes in schedule due to the pandemic.

So, which games do you think are likely to win? Here are some games I've heard mentioned by others with big potential, which I believe need to have been published 12 months before the award & have availability in Germany in time:

Spiel des Jahres ("Family" Game of the Year) Potential - Past winners include #Just One (2019), #Azul (2018), #Kingdomino (2017), #Codenames (2016), and more:

Kennerspiel des Jahres (Connoisseur-Enthusiast Game of the Year) Potential - Past winners in this category include the likes of #Wingspan (2019) and #The Quacks of Quedlinburg (2018):

Honestly, it's harder to think of these. Also, note that some of the games mentioned for Spiel/Kennerspiel potential might not even make the cut in terms of timeline. Anyway, it's your turn! Do you think any of these are potential nominees or winners? What other games do you predict will make the cut?

2 points by philryuh - updated 52 days ago | 16 comments | report | subscribe

Marshwiggle92 Supporter2 months ago | 3 points[-]

I don't know about the Kennerspiel. But I really expect #The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine to get the Spiel. I don't know know if it came out son enough to get it this year or if it had to wait until next year.... But I expect it to get it. 

philryuh Supporter2 months ago | 1 point[-]

It'll be interesting to see where it lands! I'm drafting up a quick article to show how the Spiel results can affect traffic to a game page (an article in the same vein as my SUSD article). I personally think it'll be Wavelength if it does qualify.

Marshwiggle92 Supporter2 months ago | 1 point[-]

Sounds like a fun read. 

nealkfrank 2 months ago | 2 points[-]

I will go Speil going to Wavelength. It is totally the type of game they love.

For Kennerspeil I think Res Arcana has the inside track. 

Wavelength fits right in with the past winners haha. I agree with you that I think it'll win it if it meets the requirements to be considered.

Have you had a chance to play Res Arcana yet?

nealkfrank 2 months ago | 1 point[-]

We will see! When do the nominations come out?

I have not! It is not a game that really appeals to me. I have done some research on it and it seems too light for my stylings. 

Let's see... I've seen May 18th mentioned by others, so I'll give everyone an update when I see it!

nealkfrank 2 months ago | 1 point[-]

Looking forward to it!

BenjaminK 2 months ago | 2 points[-]

I could see Cartographers taking it. It is a very good game.

It's interesting because from looking through past winners and nominees for Spiel/Kennerspiel, the only roll n write I could see was #That's Pretty Clever, which was nominated for Kennerspiel des Jahres 2018

bushtotalk 52 days ago | 1 point[-]

Has to be Wingspan *sarcasm*

The_EyE 53 days ago | 1 point[-]

Cool discussion. 

My prediction is The Crew, Draftosaurus, My City (or Little Town). 

Here is my geek list (sorry to link off site)

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/272534/spiel-des-jahres-and-kenner-predictions-2020

billsaints 2 months ago | 1 point[-]

Wavelength has no German release so can't be nominated.

The Crew is 100% KDJ. Far too complicated for the average gamer this is aimed at.

Hadara was recommended last year.

Isle of Cats also doesn't have a full German release.

All great game though :)

Well that's a shame.... :(

Which do you think has a strong potential for SDJ?

billsaints 2 months ago | 1 point[-]

I would guess that it'll be Cartographers and 2 hardly anyone has heard of. A lot of games comes out in German first and then into English and many of the nominations are from the Nurenburg fair that gets less English coverage.

The Crew will/may be nominated, but won't win the KDJ. Great game, but its very dependent on people being trick taking players, if they are not, or some are and others aren't the game can fall flat big time. The winner needs to be more accessible than that.

curriedfruit 2 months ago | 1 point[-]

As cute as #Point Salad is, I would be disappointed if it won the Spiel. It's a nice game, but it doesn't have the elegance and engaging game play of previous winners.