Reporting in after our second play!
My wife found this game so delightful after our first play that she's been down to play whenever there's time. We played on Friday night and managed to play a slightly faster game than the first one (our first game lasted a little longer than 2 hours which included rule explanation and we even had to reduce the end goal VP to be 10 instead of the usual 20. The second game took a little less than 2 hours but we managed to stick with the 20 VP goal, so I'd say that's a big improvement). Here are some more highlights:
- We didn't have Alexa choose the music this time, instead we tried out the Melodice link on the BGA game page!
- Last time, I intentionally didn't go for some action spaces every now and then whenever I thought she'd really need it for that season (see my previous post to know why I should've minded my own business lol). This time, I played normally.
- The first 3-5 years went by super fast and it was mostly our "engine-building" phase with the majority of the actions happening in the Summer and retiring our workers early.
- We had a very different approach--I built almost all of my structures by the fourth year or so and was prepped to start making some good quality wine. My wife focused on maxing out the number of her workers (hence the attached image) and had 2-3 workers more than me depending on her choice of her wake-up time in Spring.
- The years after that had each of us scoring VP's left and right through fulfilling orders and using visitor cards. There were numerous years when my wife had a big smile of satisfaction on her face as she dominated the board with her massive "army" as soon as I was done for the season.
- My goodness, I've always had bad vine card draws in my past plays, but for the first time ever, my vineyard flourished with red grapes.
- I managed to fulfill (I think) my first ever order that had a crystal wine. Also felt proud of my wife who ended up fulfilling 3-4 orders and one of them requiring a blush wine too :)
- The game came down to the wire once again and I ended up winning with 25-23! We're definitely getting Tuscany soon.