philryuh

Feedback Friday! (2019-12-13)

BGA
Got praises/complaints/wish features for our forum, game pages, content creation, etc? Let us know here.

The question I want to throw out for this week is: Whether big or small, what are some changes you'd like to see that will enhance the user experience? Here's mine:
  • When in dark mode, there are several visual issues with copy pasting in the comment/post description section. Backspacing on the beginning of a line that has something pasting in gets highlighted in white. Sometimes, I've seen text coming in black. I can't think of all of the different combinations at the moment that makes it bug out, but I made a long forum post recently and it was just filled with scattered portions of text coming in highlighted, in black font, etc. Again nothing big, but it dampens the user experience.
  • Another complaint related to dark mode--there are buttons that essentially disappear/impossible to see because the button color blends in with the background (e.g. the button that you can click on to bring in the option to add the game to one of your lists).
  • After the font color switch, there are some areas where the text doesn't get highlighted when you hover over it (e.g. the "topics" and the flairs area on the left of the forum)
  • I would've complained about the doubling up of notifications that occur (e.g. when you receive a reply to your comment in a forum post that you're subscribed to AND that person has @'d you) but I believe Trent already resolved this issue so that we don't bombard Jamey with a bunch of notifications.
  • I use the article post feature quite often, and it can get really REALLY buggy for inserted images and captions, where clicking on an inserted image will sometimes make it jump around to different spots in the page or make it disappear--have you run into these issues yet @indigopotter?
  • In the "List" page, you can see the preview of a game that you're trying to add to one of your lists (owned, wishlist, etc). The preview image comes in way too big.
  • This is more of a wish/question for everyone--I wish we had a more "practical" set of game recommendations based on certain parameters instead of just the "Mechanics" options on the top bar. To explain what I mean--when I go around the different communities, the same questions tend to get thrown around when people are looking for recommendations. Not that it's a bad thing, and I actually enjoy seeing people's recommendations and their personal take/experience with those games, but I'd personally like to see something along the lines of "Date Night," "College Party," "Office Lunch Time with Co-Workers," etc. Of course, setting the parameters for these types of topics would require a lot of generalization, but I feel like it would be more fun to go through the games that come up. Maybe it'd be more appropriate to create a forum topic for each of these? I honestly don't know, but just sharing my own experience where I feel like I'm visiting our game pages way less often these days.
Oh and as a reminder, the current giveaway round is ending on Monday the 16th!

3 points by philryuh - updated 32 days ago | 22 comments | report | subscribe

indigopotter Supporter42 days ago | 3 points[-]

For the lunch break, date night, etc categories, it made me think of the categories on BGP

https://www.boardgameprices.com/categories/lunchbreakboardgames

https://www.boardgameprices.com/categories/stockingstuffersandchristmasgames

Perhaps the function helps/gives ideas. 

philryuh Supporter42 days ago | 1 point[-]

Yes, those are good examples! How are they selected? (is it by you or is it based on some sort of parameters?)

It's certainly not necessary to have it on BGA as well, but it's just my personal opinion that it would be a fun addition to encourage looking up games here.

indigopotter Supporter42 days ago | 1 point[-]

Calvin and I make them. There's a page where we make the category (the end of the URL) and then we can add to/take away games, and add them to the front page/take them away. 

Marshwiggle92 Supporter42 days ago | 2 points[-]

I too had noticed that  annoying bug about highlighting. I didn't connect it too dark mode, because I have esclusively used dark mode since it has come out.

I sorta like your last suggestion.

Also, high praise for how you handled the kerfuffle with the last GAW. That was awfully decent of ya'll to go ahead and award a second prize, even though the kerfuffle wasn't really your fault.

Looks like Trent will be able to get to it next week. And thanks, I'm so glad you pointed it out that time hahaha. Sure it costs money but I really enjoy giving out the games--plus, we got two great festive pictures from @Skurvy5 and @nealkfrank :)

Marshwiggle92 Supporter42 days ago | 1 point[-]

No problem. I hope I handled it OK. 

Yes--it was clear that you were being considerate of us in how you handled it!

trentellingsen Supporter42 days ago | 2 points[-]

@philryuh yes I fixed the double notification issue and I fixed the add to list buttons to be more visible in dark mode. I see the bug where copy pasting is strange but it looks like it will may be difficult to fix so it might take until next week. Just remind me if I haven't gotten to it, haha.

Sounds good, thanks!

JamesReid860 Supporter41 days ago | 1 point[-]

Thanks for all that you guys do! My question is is there anything that can be done to make the site more user friendly on mobile devices? 

I like the idea of having those catagories for sorting games into. The issue is that many games could be in multiple catagories so its not as simple as sorting them out. 
Other sub-catagories that could be useful while we're building toward this^ could be: A. game length B. Player count C. Size of rule book in pages (actually this would be interesting to be able to sort games by). D. Video tutorial availabe

philryuh Supporter35 days ago | 1 point[-]

Realized I never answered this! So when you mention making it more mobile friendly, what are some big items you're wanting to see?

JamesReid860 Supporter32 days ago | 1 point[-]

Also maybe if searching for games was a bit simpler to make it easier but on the phone.

JamesReid860 Supporter32 days ago | 1 point[-]

I think it would be nice if the conversation thread could be collapsed. With long conversations, since each new response shifts to the right, eventually you cannot respond easily on the phone because the response screen is shifted all the way to the right.

trentellingsen Supporter32 days ago | 1 point[-]

That’s a good point. You can collapse the conversations so that they’re hidden but to your point, it’d be a nice thing to be able to read comments still even if threads get really deep

philryuh Supporter32 days ago | 1 point[-]

One thing that helps with this (possibly) is clicking on that "minus" symbol next to the number of upvotes next to a user's response. This will collapse all of the comments in that thread/tree of comments

rancidmike Supporter41 days ago | 1 point[-]

I'm having trouble figuring out how to pull up drafts I've saved for articles. This might be a "me" problem more than anything, though.

rancidmike Supporter41 days ago | 2 points[-]

Nope, literally just figured it out.

philryuh Supporter41 days ago | 1 point[-]

Yesssss, I'm looking forward to reading your article. Any hints on the article title? :D

rancidmike Supporter41 days ago | 1 point[-]

Still mulling it over :) not even sure that I’ll end up publishing it so we’ll see

indigopotter Supporter42 days ago | 1 point[-]

Yes, when I'm writing an article, the images will often jump around or disappear. 

philryuh Supporter42 days ago | 2 points[-]

I've used the article feature often enough to know the workarounds but it sure can slow up the process sometimes haha. I wonder how it's been for @ithayla

ithayla 42 days ago | 1 point[-]

I've not encountered that issue on Chrome.

Linked Topic