trentellingsen

A Casual $40 Version of Gloomhaven Is Coming To Stores in 2020

5 points by trentellingsen - updated 3 days ago | 19 comments | report

nealkfrank 9 days ago | 2 points

I am definitely intrigued by this! I have been interested in the original but the size and weight and organization that it takes to play seems daunting...

sdirrane 9 days ago | 2 points

I agree, I'll be excited to see what this new one is all about.

trentellingsen 9 days ago | 1 point

It’s really intimidating to look at but it’s pretty nice and easy to learn from the rules.

nealkfrank 9 days ago | 2 points

I have seen some rules explanations and such and the rules seem intuitive, I have heard set up and tear down is a beast. 

trentellingsen 9 days ago | 1 point

It can be, but my wife and I have a good system now. It's a lot better with 2 people.

Skyw3rd 8 days ago | 2 points

Oh how I would like if someone put this kind of effort into a sci-fi or cyberpunk game.

philryuh 8 days ago | 1 point

How do you feel about the steampunk genre? Never played but I really enjoyed watching videos of Bioshock playthroughs. 

Skyw3rd 7 days ago | 1 point

It's fine, I just prefer cyberpunk. 

sdirrane 8 days ago | 1 point

Amen

Skyw3rd 7 days ago | 1 point

I like fantasy and all, but there's just SO much of it. Even KeyForge, which I thought would break the chain, but they still relied on fantasy tropes.

Skurvy5 7 days ago | 1 point

True that. Fantasy everywhere. 

sdirrane 7 days ago | 1 point

Totally!  I was really excited about Moonrakers, and honestly it looks right up my alley, but $70 after shipping to back a game that was basically all cards.  Woof.  I was so disappointed in the price point.

Skurvy5 7 days ago | 1 point

See my rule about never backing Kickstarters! Moonrakers looks interesting but unless it gets a retail version I’ll probably never acquire it. 

sdirrane 7 days ago | 1 point

Totally, I'm off the Kickstarter Bandwagon unless I really feel strongly about supporting a project.  I've been a bit disappointed in the Kickstarter exclusive content and stretch goals.  Most of the games I've backed would be just as good as the retail version.  I do really hope Moonrakers eventually gets a more cost affordable retail version.

Skurvy5 9 days ago | 2 points

I think both games sound awesome.

Marshwiggle92 3 days ago | 1 point

This has me excited. Maybe I'll finally give Gloomhaven a try with this. The size of the box for the "real" gloomhaven has always scared me off. 

menthabrw 7 days ago | 1 point

Founders of Gloomhaven
What about this game? I thought that supposed to be something like causal Gloomhaven :) I don t know the game though, onle heard about it.
$40 seems to be a good price, the main game you can get used for around $80, could be a good introduction and then step up for the main game.
The big Gloomhaven box also scares me, it s like the size of 3-4 normal sized game :o
Maybe once when I can sell my Alhambra Bigbox I ll have half the space :D

menthabrw 5 days ago | 2 points

I have sold it yesterday so it is a sign :D

Toadbreath 8 days ago | 1 point

If the price is reasonable and the story is solid, this sounds great. I’d like to understand a little better what the narrative hook is for Gloomhaven, though. Is it just dark fantasy for the sake of dark fantasy?

Linked Games