This site prioritizes game information. Would you like to keep that way or would you want to priortize game prices? Prioritize PricesPrioritize Information

(Change this option in the future in the Account dropdown)

Feedback Friday! (2020-04-17)

Owner
BGA

For those who are new, this is a weekly post where you can share your praises/complaints/wish features for our forum, game pages, content, etc. You can also find more information in this article where I walk through the various features on BGA.

For this week, let's talk about some feature updates. @trentellingsen has completely revamped the look and functionality of the game pages and will be moving on from this once the price-related bugs have been sorted out. Besides little items here and there, is there a major feature you'd love to see added to the game page?

Also, Trent will be moving onto the play logging feature very soon. What would you want to see in your ideal play logging process? What are some features you'd love to see that seem out of the box but may be cool to have? Would you want to be able to easily share this data with other users on BGA or with others in social media? Let us know in the comments!

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend!

Like| 25 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

9 months ago

I just thought of something. I would love for there to be a way to order lists, specifically the wishlist. That way I could see what's at the top of my wishlist. BGG has a 1-5 value, which would work, or a manual sort option would be nice too. I'd just like to have some way to order it.

Owner9 months ago

I've been wanting this for a while too! I definitely have several games that I filed into the wishlist long time ago that are buried but are still my #1 priorities.

9 months ago

Any chance of getting this as a feature any time soon?

Owner9 months ago

This seems like something that we could do. There's so many ways to sort that I could potentially build. Some I'd like to consider are

• Sort by your own rating
  • Flagging games (like with a star or something just like in email)
  • Sort by notes (so you can basically create your own system)

Those are my quick thoughts but this will be a feature set coming either in about 3 weeks or if I get board working on the main projects (Currently price upgrades then next play logs).

9 months ago

Those would work. For a wishlist specifically, presumably you wouldn't have a rating for the game yet, so that may not work for that. I know for my own wishlist purposes, I'd want a little more granular control than a simple binary flag. Something like a tier or actual manual sorting are what I'd prefer for a wishlist. So I guess sorting by notes would work, though that may not be the most intuitive for some users.

Supporter9 months ago

I wish for the same thing. 

Owner9 months ago

Personally, all I'd want/need is being able to easily change the order of the games myself so that it's clear to see the order of priority. Is that what you mean by "sort by your own rating"?

Owner9 months ago

The problem I'd see is that any time you want to sort large lists into very specific orders, it quickly becomes difficult to manage from a user interface perspective. 

Supporter9 months ago

I'm loving all the updates! Thanks! 

Supporter9 months ago

As for game page updates... I'd like BGA to create a new rating system for games that will be the definitive rating system and fixes any issues with BGG's rating system. ;-) haha!

Owner9 months ago

Lol. Ok, what are the problems you have with the current rating system on BGG & BGA? It's good to have some sort of starting point and hopefully others can chip in on this too :D

Supporter8 months ago

Lol this is more of a joke. I hear other gamers complain about it

9 months ago

I would like an easy way to sync my played games here with BGG, so when I update here, it updates there, or vice versa.  I've imported my games played when I was new here, but that's been a long time and I should re-update my BGA played log. 

Would there be a way to get stats based on games I played? I mean this much in the way you can find info on BGG, such as what games were played in which month, how many times, etc. Nothing too fancy, but I do go back and look at those on occasion.

Owner9 months ago

Now that Trent is winding down on game page updates, he'll be going all in on play log related features starting this week. So you can expect him to roll out a bunch of cool stuff including some nice visual presentation of your data & stats. As for syncing, is that already in place @trentellingsen or is it one of the items you'll be getting to?

Owner9 months ago

Syncing is only working for game lists so far, as part of the play log feature I'll make sure anything you log on BGG will sync to BGA. However, BGG does not have a secure way to log into their website with their API. Which means that Any app or website that lets you log in to BGG is a potential security issue since you don't know how they store the info. I'm not going to make a way to sync BGA plays with BGG even if it is technically feasible, unless they upgrade to OAuth 2.0 like we have for our API.

9 months ago

Very cool. Trent is a machine! I look forward to seeing what else he has in store!

Supporter9 months ago

I think there should be more podcasts! 😉

Owner9 months ago

What should we talk about? :D

Supporter9 months ago

Could finally do that segment where we have kids judge a game based on its cover 

Supporter9 months ago

Top 10 somethings, deep dive on a mechanic, in depth look at a game...

Supporter9 months ago

I would still like to see the logged plays feature visible on the main game page. For example, if I go to the popular games page, I see #Spirit Island is the first game on the list. I wish one of the fields would tell me that I have 8, or 15, or 97, whatever the case may be, plays. 

About logging plays. One thing I wish for is is a challenge tool. Something like a ___X___ challenge. You could fill in how many games you want to play, how many times, and in what amount of time. Than you logged plays would automatically also go to your challenge as well. 

Owner9 months ago

Showing your logged plays on the game page is one of the items that Trent still needs to get to. I'm sure it'll be an easy add especially since he'll be going all-in on play log related features.

Setting up a way to create custom challenges would be cool! I'd also like a way to put together a visual representation of your "Top 9" games on a 3x3 grid that you can update from time to time. I think all of these features would be a nice addition to make your profile page feel more personalized. And it would be fun to share these in our forum easily.

Supporter9 months ago

I really do like the option of showing your top nine. 

Supporter9 months ago

I love the idea of setting up a challenge for yourself.  

Supporter9 months ago

Good ideas Chris! I’m really new to logging plays so I don’t really know how to offer constructive feedback on how to improve it. 

Linked Topic