What did you play this week? (9/28/2020)

(9/28/2020) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

Like| 95 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

55 days ago

Pretty decent week!

• #Too Many Bones - first time playing this multiplayer, and we got our butts handed to us. We made a pretty poor decision early on to go for Trove Loot instead of Training points...still a really fun experience!
  • #Barrage - solo play and it has the makings of a really nice addition to my collection. Meaty decisions, lots of interaction while also potentially ruining your own plans. Love it. I will try and do a write up once I get a second play of this in solo. 

51 days ago

What's the solo mode like? Is it an automata?

50 days ago

Ya its an automa, basically a deck of tiles with one side going through the different action options, and the other defining priorities. It is definitely interesting! Not the most intuitive but it is a complex game so it would be hard to make a super simple automa. 

54 days ago

Nice! Were you playing TMB with your wife?

Any idea when you'll get to play Barrage multiplayer?

54 days ago

Not yet, I played with and another guy. I will try and get her on it, but we are both focused on Aeons End when we play games together right now!

I typically am able to get a game night in every other thursday so maybe next thursday for multiplayer Barrage!

54 days ago

Nice!

55 days ago

Can't wait for the Barrage write up! Will you only be playing solo for now?

54 days ago

I have at least one other guy wanting to play so hopefully we will be able to get a game in soon! I am planning on getting another solo game of it in soon though too. I missed some income for the Automa and I think I built out its structures sub-optimally for it as well, so I feel like I kinda nerfed it inadvertently. 

54 days ago

Missing things is way too easy for me in games nowadays lol

54 days ago

I think that is what happens when you wade into the heavier games waters!

Supporter55 days ago

Did you get to open the trove loot tho? Some are pretty hard to open. 

55 days ago

neither of us were able to open our trove loot...it was a regrettable decision lol. I also think I got the lock picking process wrong...

Supporter54 days ago

It happens. Yeah the lockpicking rules are a bit tricky. Glad you played multiplayer. its a lot of fun.

54 days ago

I am planning on finding a video to learn from for this. I went over the rules in the rulebook and the player sheet but still felt like I missed something...

53 days ago

A good week for gaming - 

#Race for the Galaxy x3 (4 players x1 | 2 players x2) - Just got my hands on this game and I am excited to keep plumbing its depths. Inject those combos straight into my veins.

#The Isle of Cats x1 (3 players) - Hits that sweet spot between complexity and accessibility. Really enjoy this one. It helps that I seem to be quite good at it.

#Inis x1 (4 players) - It's been two months since my last play of Inis and for that I repent. What a wonderful, tense, tactical bit of Celtic goodness.

#Root x 1 (5 players) - This game has been steadily growing on me over five plays. I've started to appreciate the narrative this game develops. Just got the Clockwork Expansion in a trade and I'm excited to play this one solo.

#Orléans x1 (3 players) - Still not sure where I stand on this one. I definitely enjoy it, but I'm a tad concerned about its replay value. 

#Codenames x1 (6 players) - Never a game I actively seek out, but one I always enjoy. So well designed and endlessly replayable.

#Snake Oil x1 (6 players) - An old favorite for when we just want to laugh and break out our improv chops. 

51 days ago

I have a complicated relationship with #Orléans too. The first time I played, I lost the entire baggy of chits in a pub. So determined was I to not squander the purchase that I ended up spending £45 on replacement tokens, only to play the game once or twice more and decide that the set-up isn't worth it and that I'm not a huge fan of tracks-on-tracks-on-tracks type games.

50 days ago

I think I enjoy the tracks in the game for the most part. My concern is mostly with strategic variance. I don't see this as a game with multiple paths to victory and that could be the nail in the coffin.

53 days ago

Lot's of great games for you! I agree on #Orléans replayability. It's gotten a little too samey for me over time. I've heard the #Orléans: Trade & Intrigue expansion helps out a lot in that regard. Not sure how I feel about purchasing an expansion to make a good game great but it is on my wishlist. If you remotely enjoy the base game though, I'd recommend trying out #Altiplano, a game by the same designer. Althouth fairly similar, there are a few differences that in my opinion increase the replay value immensely. Altiplano is a bit heavier due to the action selection mechanism, but it brings with it some thinkier decisons and careful planning. Definitely worth checking out 

53 days ago

I've looked at Altiplano more than once. The possibility of more replayability is enough to make me seek it out. Buying expansions to fix the base game doesn't sit well with me either.

For further plays of #Orléans, I think I will implement the place tile veto that the advanced rules suggest. It would force changes in strategic variance. The jury is definitely still out on my final verdict for the game. 

53 days ago

I sometimes forget that I found Altiplano on a 75% off table at my FLGS and not everyone has gotten that lucky lol. It was a no brainer pick up for me.

I've surprisingly never heard of that variant despite it very clearly being in the rulebook lol. Might have to give that a shot.

53 days ago

Wow this is a really good! Week! I'm keen to try Isle of Cats at more players - so far I've only played at 2.

And MAN I would love to try Inis. I feel like it could go over well with my group, as well.

53 days ago

I've found Isle of Cats to be just as good at each player count. It scales wonderfully. It's almost equally as good solo. Such a neat design!

And Inis is great. It's not often you get a dudes-on-a-map game that scales as well as this one. I've yet to play it at two, but I've heard that works as well. Such a great use of card drafting and tactical play. It's also easily the most beautifully illustrated game I own.

53 days ago

Awesome, yeah I think I saw something about a reprint happening soon, so I'll have to try to get in on that at some point.

53 days ago

Yeah, looks like the reprint is slated for late October or so. They're also reprinting the expansion, which I will be promptly nabbing the first chance I get.

53 days ago

Nice, yeah I've read that the expansion solves the apparent kingmaking issue that sometimes arises in the game. If I'm able to pick this up at some point I'll try to get the expansion as well.

53 days ago

In reality, anyone can implement the "We Need A King!" module that comes with the expansion. It isn't component dependent. I have actually used it in a few four-player games. Usually, the groups I play with don't need this implemented and we are able to finish a four-player game in under two hours. I would also say that the "kingmaking issue" is overstated and, when it is present, is actually a characteristic of the game and not a flaw. The game is literally themed around vying for the throne of this new land. There will be times when you've squandered your chances, yet still have a hand in who takes the crown.

I mostly want the expansion for the added 5th player components and the island tiles. Both would add even more to an already rich experience.  

53 days ago

Interesting. Thanks for your perspective!

Supporter54 days ago

I got to play #Dominion: Second Edition with in preperation for a video and it was so fun! I'm glad he enjoyed it more than his first experience.

53 days ago

Glad he liked it and loved reading his mini review. What's your stance on Dominion? Is it in your top 5 like it is for me?

Supporter53 days ago

It has been for a long time but it's moved down now. I don't even keep my copy at home anymore. I might consider it top 10 but maybe not. We'll have to see when and I end up doing a more official top 10 video. I would say that I'm always down to play if friends want to though since it's so easy to jump into.