What did you play this week? (4/12/2021)

(4/12/2021) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

Like| 42 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

24 days ago

FINALLY got to play some real games this week. Definitely refreshed by that. 

• #Marvel Champions: The Card Game - Couple games of this. Still playing on a relatively easy mode and while learning all the heroes!
  • #Innovation - have been playing this a ton online but got an in-person game of this in as well!
  • #Keyflower - Gosh this game is good...very satisfying and a neat turn structure. For sure can be played in like an hour and a half with experienced players at 3-4 players. 
  • #Karuba - Continues to be the best game for a quick light experience with friends! I always crush at this lol
  • #Welcome to... - This was the last game with some friends on a fun night. I cannot seem to win this one anymore!

Premium User22 days ago

Keyflower is one of my favourites along with Marvel Champions (for different reasons of course).  Looks like a good week over all!

22 days ago

They both have some pretty snappy mechanics and decisions but yes very different games but I highly enjoy both!

Premium User24 days ago

Any plans to pick up expansions for Champions?

24 days ago

Oh definitely, Hulk just arrived and I pre-ordered Venom, and the Guardians Campaign is for sure calling my name eventually!

Premium User24 days ago

That's awesome!

24 days ago

for sure! It is fun being a part of an active LCG, though it is expensive...

Premium User24 days ago

Yes that's why I have a policy against it, haha. That game has made me think twice about it though, the way people talk about how much they enjoy it lol

24 days ago

Lol totally valid. I will say I can see it being an easy way to scratch an itch for getting a new game without getting a whole new game and just a deck!

Premium User24 days ago

Oh yeah I could see that! And since I'm guessing you mostly play it solo, there's not the hurdle of getting a group together to play it

Premium User24 days ago

I got one playthrough of #The Taverns of Tiefenthal with Becky and lost 103 to 126.  I was striving to see if I could get my Tavern marker all the way around the main board (I failed) but wanted to try that strategy.  As you can see, it is not the best strategy.  

After the game, Becky said, "I never really have a strategy when I play..."

So I'm either losing to a genius...or just plain suck :P 

Premium User24 days ago

Sounds like she's a "Taverns of Tiefenthal Shark" lol

Premium User24 days ago

lol, what may be true

23 days ago

Played #APEX Theropod Deck Building Game: Collected Edition solo a couple of times last week.  Man that game is kicking my butt solo but I finally won one on Sunday only to play later that afternoon and got humbled. 

Played it against a couple of friends on Monday night when one guy couldn't make our Pandemic Legacy game and game took roughly an hour per player, but that included teach and first play for everyone.  Game was starting to really move along towards the end and I think if we played again could easily get down to 30-45 min a player, which feels like a pretty good game length.  I did end up winning the 3 player game by a score of 40 - 32 - 0 (would have had 60 but didn't beat his boss so wasn't eligible for victory). 

Played our 6th game of #Clank! Legacy: Acquisitions Incorporated on Sunday night.  First game we had where one of us scored over 100 points and we had 3 of us do it.  I did a bunch of objective completing vs trying to get back to the HQ and that ended up costing me from "Winning" the game though I did get the Associate Spotlight for all of the objective completing I did.  While I'm excited to complete and play this, I'm not sure where it ranks among the legacy game experiences.  The downtime in the middle of a turn to read from the book of secerts, find stuff, add stuff, etc makes the game a little disjointed but its still a fun experience and can't wait to see where the story and our actions take us next.

Premium User22 days ago

Clank Legacy is the best legacy game experience I have had short of Gloomhaven.  And I would probably put it ahead of Gloomhaven if you are comparing 10 games of each to each other.  Just so much fun!

22 days ago

My Legacy experiences ranked.  I wouldn't consider Gloomhaven a legacy game as much as a campaign game and those i would rank differently.

1. #Pandemic Legacy: Season 0 - Only through June but by far my favorite of the 3.  I'm waiting for the big reveal in this one and hope it lives up to the first 2 seasons.  The Brothers Murph did all of Season 1 in a single seating and had Rob Daviau in their chat as they got to Sept.  Their reaction is pretty priceless. Lots of spoilers in the video if you haven't played and don't want any spoilers. 
  2. #Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 - The September reveal is still one of the biggest reactions and OMG moments in gaming.
  3. #Clank! Legacy: Acquisitions Incorporated - Only through 6 games.  Its going to be hard to top either of the first two at this point, but still a pretty fun experience.
  4. #Risk: Legacy X 2.  So great we did it twice.  I've gushed about this game a bunch on other forums. 
  5. #Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 - I know this one is pretty divisive about how people feel about it, but I really enjoyed the world exploration and flipping the concepts on its head for this game.  Still remember our first game in Dec and the excitement/anguish the game created. 
  6. #Charterstone - This game feel very very flat for the group that I played with.  We played 3 games and then quit.  I have no desire to ever go back to it.  Was really excited about the concept of it, but had  no emotional investment in the game at all. 

There are a bunch of other campaign and legacy games that I would be interested in playing but not sure I'd get them  played anytime soon given I'm patiently awaiting Frosthaven this fall for my Monday group to get lost within.  My Thursday group isn't conistent enough to make a legacy game something I'd consider there, though maybe with Covid hopefully coming to a close that will change. 

Premium User22 days ago

We played through Pandemic Season 1.  It was good but I think the issue for me is that I'm just not a huge Pandemic fan.  14 games of it and I had enough.  But that's just me of course!

I haven't tried Risk or Charterstone at all.  I've heard that Risk really makes Risk more enjoyable.  Charterstone generally has meh ratings.

I have Frosthaven coming too!  Pretty excited about it.

Premium User24 days ago

Played just a few games this week.

#Fabled Fruit - Finally made our way through the full deck! Really have enjoyed our 20+ plays getting to this point, but it's time to try and sell or trade it away. It was on our 10 x 5 challenge, so Sarah has decided to pick another game to replace the remaining 2 plays as we only got to play this 3 times. She went with #7 Wonders Duel!

#Downforce - Got in another game on BGA with the usual suspects - and . Used the powers this time around which I totally didn't realize you were bidding for too. I don't know if this will ever make it into my collection, but GameNerdz certainly tried tempting me making it their deal of the day at some point this week.

#Spirit Island - Got tired of looking at the #Spirit Island: Branch & Claw expansion still in shrink (it's only been that way for a couple weeks lol), so I gave it a shot. I played with the Blitz scenario and got totally overwhelmed by the invaders pretty early on and couldn't do a whole lot to stop them. I enjoy playing this solo, but every time I come away feeling like I want to get it to the table with more people. If only Sarah liked it more...

#The Castles of Burgundy - Finished up a game with and on Yucata. One of my favorite games that I don't foresee myself ever not enjoying.

Premium User22 days ago

Spirit Island is great and the Castles of Burgundy is always a good time.  Sounds like a good week!

Premium User22 days ago

Totally forgot about #The Quacks of Quedlinburg because I didn't log it! Fixed it now..can't let any of those 10 x 5 challenge plays slip my mind :P

23 days ago

It was nice to win Castles of Burgundy, especially after my first play with the group resulted in a pretty distant last place.  Nice to know that I can play that game well ;)  I have a group that loves Downforce and we will play 4 or 5 tracks at a time.  The BGA implementation is good but there is something satistifying about playing that live. 

Premium User22 days ago

Yeah I'm feeling similarly after this last game since the rest of you were all in the 200s. Gotta redeem myself this game haha

Partner21 days ago

Great win! We were neck and neck the entire game - I just love the puzzles that CoB give you every game!

Premium User24 days ago

Had a pretty good week of gaming!

• #War Chest 2x @ 2p, 1x @ 4p. I ordered a custom neoprene mat for this game, and got to break it in last week! One day I had my friend come over to try it out and we played at 2 players. We played once with the Nobility Expansion and once with the Siege expansion. Then on Friday I had more people over and we got to play a 4 player game!
  • #Innovation 1x @ 2p. Ny second time playing in person. I didn't enjoy it as much this time. I literally never had any chance of winning this game, as I never got any cards that allowed me to score points or draw cards consistently or anything. Oh well.
  • #The Adventure Zone: Bureau of Balance Game @ 3p. My brother in law kick-started this so we tried it. It's not my style of game, and after we finished it, even my he said it wasn't a very good game, haha.
  • #Munchkin @ 5p. Yep, played this, because several of my friends love it. The gameplay doesn't interest me, but screwing my friends over in a light hearted game is always a good time. Not a great game but I still had fun with it.
  • #Santorini 3x @ 2p. My brother in law asked to learn this and we played 3 times in a row. Once without powers and twice with. He commented how much he liked it, so I'm sure we'll be playing more in the future.

24 days ago

You almost need to play Innovation ina tournament style I have learned. The game is really swingy so best of three can help with that!

Premium User24 days ago

Hmm I could see that. Unfortunately after that play I was happy to put the game away lol. Plus it was bed time anyway haha

Premium User24 days ago

Sounds like an enjoyable week.  I enjoy Santorini and Munchkin is fun enough if you play with people who are relaxed about the game and just sort of let it flow.  But yeah, it's more about the people than the game a lot of the time.

Premium User24 days ago

Yep, and really, playing games is mostly about the people, anyway. If you're having fun at the table, it doesn't matter as much what's actually on the table.

21 days ago

Continued our (slow) but still going play-through of #My City. This is still such a fun experience. We're about half-way through the campaign (Episode 4/8) and each new addition is an interesting twist to what you are doing. Can't wait to play this through, but I'm not in a rush to finish it, due to how much we are enjoying it. 

Many many plays of #Nidavellir ever since it's been online on the (other) BGA. This is so fast, so fun and I try to explore different paths each time I play. 

Revisited #The Voyages of Marco Polo after trading it for #Marco Polo II: In the Service of the Khan. Even though I like the open-ness of the successor, the original is one of my favourite games. It's so clean and tight. The character powers are much more interesting and crazy. I played a breezy (despite being tense) game with the Mercator who just leeches off other player's visits to the market.

Lastly to round-off the online plays. Played my first game of #Mystic Vale and I'm surprised I hadn't tried this earlier. The push-your-luck mechanic coupled with the card crafting is really well done.