What did you play this week? (2/22/2021)

(2/22/2021) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

Like| 71 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Premium User7 days ago

Continued our trend of playing some of our newer games with a game of #Glen More II: Chronicles. Picked this up with my giveaway winnings and couldn't be happier with my decision. A really fun puzzle that feels like we're just beginning to explore with all the chronicles content included. Helps that Sarah really enjoyed it too. I've been on a roll finding games she likes again.

Got beat in another game of #The Castles of Burgundy on Yucata with . No surprises there lol.

With all my new games, we've been looking at how we can cut some games out from the collection. Played #Fabled Fruit for the first time in nearly a year. We'd like to get through all the cards before we get rid of this one and we're nearly there - I think we just put out card 50 of 59 so we should just need a few more sessions now to wrap it up. 

Finished up the week with a favorite of ours in #Wingspan with the #Wingspan: Oceania Expansion. I had pretty good luck with the cards being exactly what I was looking for, so I beat Sarah by 20 points. This just adds to her suspicion that when I win, I win big and when she wins it's a much closer game haha.

Premium User4 days ago

Is it really suspicion if it's true...

Premium User4 days ago

You know..that's a good point...lol

7 days ago

Nice! Seems like a solid week. I was initially interested in Glenmore but have fizzled out a bit but might need to look into it some more!

Premium User7 days ago

It's definitely a fun one for sure. Feels a lot lighter to me than the 3.05 weight rating BGG has on it which is pretty cool too because I think we could even play it with non-gamers.

7 days ago

That is definitely interesting. I bet the weight comes from the different chronicles as you add those. 

Premium User7 days ago

Interesting thought. Could very well be! Some of the components for those look interesting. 

7 days ago

I do think it is interesting that they make you sort everything after you open the box! I am so used to legacy games that hide all that from you!

Premium User7 days ago

Granted I didn't read any of the rules for any of them but it's kinda similar in that I have no idea what any of them do. Some are just more tiles which I'm sure is more of the same as the base game. One in particular is just a mountain piece that feels really out of place with the rest of the components haha. But yeah this comes with a QR code that links to a how to unbox video!

Premium User7 days ago

ooo #Glen More II: Chronicles! Tell me more!

Premium User7 days ago

<insert vague recollection of the game> LOL

In all seriousness, it's a pretty neat game trying where you try to combo stuff together which of course I am into. With 2 players there's a die that moves around the board taking away tiles too which can be brutal when you get an unlucky roll. I'd imagine that's how it would feel with more players as well. Makes me want to try it with more!

Premium User7 days ago

Haha, sounds like fun. How confrontational is it? Should I consider it for me and my wife? I don't love the giant box, but I do love games that my wife likes, haha

Premium User7 days ago

The box is pretty massive haha. I would say there's no direct confrontation. Sure someone could take a tile you want, but there are so many options available it's hard to be completely shut out of an action. Plus at least in our game I felt like we were going for different enough things where we weren't getting in each other's way.

That all being said, at the end of each stack of tiles, there's a scoring round where you're comparing how many of 4 different things you have compared to who has the fewest. The difference between you and the person with the fewest will determine how many points you get. So you're absolutely directly competing for those things, I just happen to think there's enough to go around to make it not that big of a difference. Sarah ended up beating me by 3 points.

Premium User6 days ago

Hmm...it sounds like a possibility. Maybe I'll show her a video about it and see what she thinks (but not for a couple of months at least).

Premium User7 days ago

Shoulda said..her winning probably helped her like it..but it definitely feels like a game that wives would approve of haha

7 days ago

Birthday weekend so I got a lot of games played.

On Saturday hosted another gaming marathon

1. 2 Games of #Mechs vs. Minions @ 3 player.  Did the first two scenarios.  Won both but it was pretty close both times.  I am really enjoying this game.  For the 2nd game we ended up with almost 90 minions on the board for the last turn, which was awesome.    Minions, minions everywhere
  2. 1 Game of #Beyond the Sun @ 3 player.  Two of us had played previously and 1 new player.  Scores were a lot tighter this time around then the first time I played.  I came in 2nd by 1 point. 
  3. 1 Game of #Rajas of the Ganges  @ 3 player.  I ran away with this by really pushing my fame track.  Was new to one player who could/should have pushed his money track a lot harder than he did.  He was big into one of the market types. 
  4. 1 game of #Sagrada @ 2 players.  I won by 4 points.  Really enjoy for a quick light game to end the night.

On Sunday went to visit my family to celebrate and played a bunch of family/party games

1. 1 Game of #Just One @ 9 players.  A couple of people rotated in/out but had a blast.  Trying to get my mom to guess Magnets with only a single clue (pole) was fun.  Lots of laughter around this one. 
  2. 3 games of #Point Salad, 1 game at 4, 2 games at 5 players.  Had a bunch of fun with this.  Taught to most of the players.  Watching my sister lightly smack her husband for forcing her to take an onion with the last card and losing 6 points was hilarious.  It also cost her the win (96 to 92 points)
  3. 1 Game of #Bohnanza @ 5 players was lots of fun as well.  Nice playing with my nephews and brothers. 

6 days ago

That's a lot of fun for a birthday weekend!  Happy Birthday!

6 days ago

Thanks for the bday wishes. 

Premium User7 days ago

Mechs vs Minions is a great experience.  I love how each game it starts off with "how the heck are we going to do that?" and ends with "Yeeha!  Killed 20 minions that turn!"

Beyond the sun is on my list of games to probably purchase some point soon.  (Assuming it's in stock when I have some fun money to spend.)  No solo mode is the only thing that sucks for it right now.

Just one is a great party/family game!  Never played with 9 but that must have been hilarious!

7 days ago

Our first game of Mechs i spent like 2 full turns running into one of the walls, never had a chance to rotate.  That was kinda funny in a frustrating kinda way.  Did better the 2nd game.  Both games ended up being pretty close and I can't wait to get it to the table again.

Premium User7 days ago

I was quite impressed by how balanced it was usually.  I have played it 17ish times now and maybe once or twice has it snowballed out of control to victory or loss.

The first round or two is bound to be less than optimal.  You are always looking for one move and one turn if you can get it but it's not always possible.  I played a lot of 4 player games and there was always one player that ended up a bit behind at the start.  But it was usually funny and they caught up later on.

6 days ago

I ran into the walls on like turns 4 and 5...I took damage at one point that turned me into the wall and then we had 2 rounds of cards that came out without any rotate cards to chose from.  It was pretty hilarious and I'm just glad the other two were able to push/tow the bomb to where it needed to go.

Premium User6 days ago

Don't forget you can toss commands to heal damage.

6 days ago

Oh I did but I didnt have any turn cards, just straight ahead movement cards.  I tossed the damage card too soon, needed to rotate around.  

Premium User6 days ago

Sounds like you got caught in one of those games where nothing goes right.  It's pretty rare I think.

Premium User7 days ago

That sounds like an awesome gaming marathon! Happy birthday!

7 days ago

Thanks .  Pretty awesome weekend of gaming

Premium User7 days ago

Do you have a favorite from those you played this weekend?

7 days ago

Not really.  I think its possible with a couple more plays that Mechs ends up being my favorite but I really enjoyed all of the games.  I really like RotG as well but I had the most experience with the game which led to the easyish win.  Not a problem with the game but more with players not knowing strategy or pushing a potentially winning strategy. 

I love Bohnanza for the fun negations that occur within the game and watching my son regularly give away cards for free - and he usually wins - so it works for him.  Just One and Point Salad are really enjoyable games that are easy to play and teach and allow people to hang out and chat while still playing the game which is something I enjoy/want when hanging out with family.