What did you play this week? (10/19/2020)

(10/19/2020) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

Like| 70 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Supporter35 days ago

had the best type of gaming this weekend: unexpected! Family stopped by and we played some games

• #Codenames: Duet - still haven't won, it's so difficult
  • #Tiny Towns - Still having fun with this game, haven't even considered buying the expansions.
  • #For Sale - Still debating on the Kickstarter for this. It's one of the games I play the most that I down own
  • #The Agents - Finally got this to the table, not bad, need a few more plays
  • #Blurt!
  • #Dragon's Gold

and I wached the kids play:

33 days ago

Nice! I've not come across #The Agents before, what about it works and what do you think the optimum number of players would be?

Supporter33 days ago

I think three players is the way to go. Any more than that and it's hard to affect the people not sitting next to you. I love the kind of push and pull, and deciding if you want to give yourself points, but give your opponent an ability, or vice versa. It kind of feels like a good game that could be great, but I've only played once.

35 days ago

Tiny Towns is so great! And I agree about the expansions - they don't interest me at all.

How is Pentago? I saw it at a thrift store once and declined to pick it up because I knew nothing about it and the box was bigger than I wanted to go for a blind purchase, haha.

Supporter34 days ago

Pentago is just a more difficult/complicated 5 in a row game. We moved the kids to it as soon a possible after Connect 4. The box is also much bigger than it need to be.

34 days ago

Lot's of great games here! I also don't own #For Sale despite having played it quite a bit. Wasn't aware there was a kickstarter, is it for an updated version?

Supporter34 days ago

Yeah, there's an expansion that add a 3rd round. And a car version that includes the expansion. And the part that interest me the most: Metal coins

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eaglegryphon/for-sale-autorama-and-for-sale-advisors-expansion?ref=user_menu

Supporter34 days ago

According to what I understand, there is a two part two kickstarter running.

The #For Sale part of the kickstarter is for the first expansion for #For Sale. I think that it is great that a game over 20 years old is getting its first expansion. According to BGG this is the largest amount of time elapsed between the initial printing of a game and the printing of the its first expansion.

The second part of the kickstarter is a straight reskin of #For Sale. It is called #For Sale Autorama. I believe that everything is maybe the same except for the art.

34 days ago

It's happening now? Do you happen to have a link to it? I couldn't find anything when I looked quick last night.

34 days ago

Awesome, thanks! $29 doesn't seem that bad!

Supporter34 days ago

No it doesn't. 

35 days ago

Pains me to say it...I got zero board games in this week...

Supporter35 days ago

It happens!  Nothing wrong with having a break and taking care of real life or enjoying another hobby for a while.

35 days ago

Ya life definitely took over, busier season with work and family and other obligations (all good things!). 

33 days ago

What is it you do for work?

33 days ago

I work as an Admissions Counselor and Recruiter, October and November is when a lot of high schoolers are applying for schools and learning about college so it is game time for me!

34 days ago

Yikes..what are you doing on this forum? ;P

Supporter34 days ago

I would just guess that he is here coping.

34 days ago

A little piece of me died this week lol. 

34 days ago

Dying Inside GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

33 days ago

Ha!

35 days ago

We were camping in our RV in at Crystal Springs in AR with my brother and his family.  There we played:

#In the Year of the Dragon which I think I may have played once before as it seemed familiar.  This is an action and resource management game with events occuring at the end of each round you can plan for.  Good and bad consequences impact your player area depending on your ability to plan accordingly.  Lots of player interaction required to game plan well with turn order being a significant factor.

#The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine was brought by my brother who haden't had the chance to play it and neither had I.  We played through the first 5-6 missions learning the game as we went.  I wasn't sure how I would like this game but after playing through a few scenarios I am excited to play this one again and love the complexity involved for a fairly simply designed game.  

#Viticulture: Essential Edition was our final game.  Becky bailed on us so we played three players which I don;t think I have played before at that player count.  I lost by two but love this game and look forward to playing again (I hve it set up for solo at my house now).  

34 days ago

Love The Crew and need to give Viticulture a try one of these days

Supporter35 days ago

In the Year of the Dragon is a game I keep seeing around but have never tried.  I'm intrigued by it.

I felt the same way about the Crew.  Initially skeptical but after a few plays really enjoyed it.  I even picked up a copy for myself.  It might be a game my wife will try.

Viticulture is a great game.  I own it and Tuscany (both essential editions) and I never see them leaving my collection.

33 days ago

The crew is definitely one I think my family would enjoy, we all love card games and these feels like a good step up from them.

35 days ago

Ah man, it's been too long since we played Viticulture. Maybe that's what I'll suggest next time my wife and I play a game.

35 days ago

Slow week, then a big weekend!

• #Fort @ 2p on TTS. This was our second time playing, so we were more familiar with the game. We were able to play more quickly, and we both scored better than in our first game. I ended up winning by a narrow margin (2 or 3 points)
  • #Root @ 4p - last time I played this and talked about it with my wife, she expressed interest in trying it out, so I set up a game with my friend who owns it and his girlfriend. With 2 first-timers, the level of play wasn't super high, but I think the ladies did alright for their first games. My wife played the cats, and afterward she said she really didn't know what was going on most of the time and would need to get more familiar with the game to be able to tell if she likes it.
  • #Santorini 3x @ 2p - played with my buddy who loves the game as much as I do. I took 2 of 3. Played twice with regular god powers from the base game, and once with the hero powers from the #Santorini: Golden Fleece expansion.
  • #Sentient @ 2p - finally got to play this with someone! We both really enjoyed it. This is a puzzley game - kinda relaxing to me. We both had fun even helping each other out lol.
  • #Wingspan @ 4p - got to introduce my brother in law to this game and he SMOKED US. He got two birds with the "move to another habitat" ability and was just able to max out his turns almost every time toward the end of the game lol. It was pretty cool TBH. I came in dead last.
  • #Oceans @ 4p - I kind of wiped the floor with my friends (and my wife). I hope I didn't turn them off to the game lol. I set up a big old filter feeder with a whale cleaner, and both had traits to speed up the aging, so in the 2nd half of the game, I was scoring 11 points each turn. They didn't do enough to stop me, and no one ever caught up.

34 days ago

I've heard a few reviewers say #Oceans can have a little bit of a runaway leader problem when you play with newer or inexperienced players. Do you find that to be the case usually or was this a one off for you?

34 days ago

Well we didn't actually have any new players this time, but I'd say it's probably true. The strategies aren't obvious, in my opinion. I actually like that, because it means there's just more game to discover, but yeah that does mean that first timers won't necessarily be on even footing. I know that there were ways my opponents could have made it harder for me, but they were more focused on their own engines.

34 days ago

My bad, I interpreted your saying you hoped you didn't turn them off to the game as if they were new. I could see being far too invested in trying to do whatever you're trying to accomplish that you don't pay any attention to your opponents though. I really wanna try this out lol