Those of you who know me are aware that, like Chris @Marshwiggle92, I am a solo gamer. For us gamers with a strong solo focus there is no greater resource than the annual list from the 1 Player Guild on BGG. Each year when the new list comes out there are 200 games that solo gamers love that inspire other solo gamers to open their wallets and check out some new games.
Chris had a great post earlier this week that went through the games on the Top 200 that he has played. His post inspired me to do my own breakdown and analysis of the games in my collection that are on this list.
I own a wopping 26 games on this list and I am itching to get more! Let's jump in!
144. #Clank! A Deck-Building Adventure I have to admit that I've only played this game once. I enjoyed it, but it got pushed to the back of my board game shelf and it's languished back there. I resolve to get this out and play it more!
132. #Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 This one is unplayed in my collection. I can't decide if I should play it solo or wait until I can play with a group. I'm sure I would love playing it solo, but do I want to horde that experience for myself or share it with some friends? Regardless, it seems like an amazing game and I look forward to enjoying it someday.
131. #The City of Kings This is a very recent addition to my collection and I did a review post for it. I quite enjoyed my time with this and I look forward to many more plays of this one. Definitely a more puzzle-style game than a pure dungeon crawler, with worker placement type mechanics thrown in. A great game and I'm surprised to find it so low on this list.
126. #Star Wars: Outer Rim A good-to-great game that desperately needs more content. Being a FFG product one would think content is en route. Despite this, it is a great multiplayer game and a fun solo experience. Another game that I think should be higher up.
99. #Star Wars Imperial Assault This game is incredible. Multiplayer and solo. Definitely needs to be WAY higher. Really captures that essential Star Wars-ness and slams it into a board game. Another FFG product with tons and tons of extra content to purchase. Which I have almost collected. Scary.
97. #7 Wonders Duel This game is rising up rapdily due to a recently released official solo mode from the publisher. The AI opponent looks really clever and I need this one to hit my table soon. The 2 player game is fantastic and the addition of an official solo mode seems great.
86. #Imperial Settlers: Empires of the North Another game climbing up the ladder - and for good reason. A cool take on the Imperial Settlers game with pre-built decks leading to really interesting play and a cool rondel mechanism to boot.
67. #Root Yet another game climbing up - most likely due to the release of the #Root: The Clockwork Expansion that adds official versions of the very popular fan-made AI bots. This game is a great solo play and comes close to capturing the feel of a multiplayer game of Root.
65. #Baseball Highlights: 2045 I won this game from a contest and to be honest I stuck it on my shelf and kind of forgot about it. I need to play it as it seems quite cool.
48. #Everdell This game is talked about all the time on these forums - and for good reason! It's a great game with amazing components. Fun gameplay that doesn't take too long.
44. #Maracaibo Huge riser and will continue to climb next year. I predict that this one will be in the Top 25 soon. I've barely played one game of this but it's definitely incredible. Look for me to publish a review for this one soon.
34. #Paladins of the West Kingdom Mmm now this is a crunchy, delicious solo game. Honestly not at all different from the multiplayer version. The interconnected tracks, the constant struggle to maximize your turns. This game is wonderful, brain-burning, pure fun.
31. #Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game One of the first games I brought to my game group. It's a good game but honestly I think it's a bit overrated now. I would imagine this will continue to slide slowly down the list as newer games begin to overtake this.
30. #Race for the Galaxy I own this but have not played it. I bought it for my game group but they just aren't ready for it yet. I would like to grab the expansion that makes solo play possible. It's on the list.
25. #Pandemic A fun game but one that I don't really want to solo. I don't think it should be this high. It's fun to play with newer gamers though.
24. #Underwater Cities Another game that is super incredible. You only get 30 actions in the entire game and you have so much to accomplish each game. @3MBG did an awesome review of this one and he is absolutely right about it.
15. #Nemo's War (Second Edition) Oooo talk about a thematic adventure style game. I've played this one exactly once and it was a great time. The theme and story-telling just drip from this game. A pure solo game too - not one that's been desgined for multiplayer and then has an afterthought solo mode. Look for my first impressions review for this one at some point.
14. #A Feast For Odin I have this one with the expansion and it is amazing. The solo mode is so clever with it's system of you playing two colors and blocking your own action selection. It's a delicious solo game. Can't recommend this one enough.
13. #Wingspan The newest game in my collection! I've played once and loved it. Not sure where it falls on my rankings (Right now I wouldn't put it in front of the two prior games on this list) but it deserves all of the hype and more. Lovely art. Lovely components. Satisfying gameplay. A good solo game.
12. #Gaia Project Wow I love this game. I need to play it more. The huge variety in factions is incredible. The variable setup is amazing. The gameplay is so tight and delicious. AND it features one the absolute BEST AI systems I have ever played. Truly an amazing accomplishment.
8. #Scythe I played this one a bunch after Christmas last year. It's a great game with an incredible AI opponent. The #Scythe: The Rise of Fenris expansion is incredible and really adds a significant amount to the game. Honestly I would rank it around 20-15 so it is a little overrated as a solo game but it is fantastic.
7. #Gloomhaven This game is amazing. Stunning. The amount of agonizing decisions you make each scenario is incredible. The thrill of uncovering new content is so satisfying and playing solo allows you to experience the game at your own pace without waiting for others to find time to play it. I calculated one time that if I were to wait for my group to play this it would take us 7 years to play all the scenarios. Thats a lot of content. I think this one should be ranked second on this list.
6. #Arkham Horror: The Card Game A game that I picked up and am all excited to play... until I learned that the core set is really just a tutorial for the rest of the game. AND that to play one of the campaigns you have to buy this many different packs. It really dampened my interest in the game and I have yet to dive into it.
5. #Aeon's End: Legacy Wow I am 3/4 of the way through my playthrough of this one and it is incredible. I can definitey see what all the fuss is about with this one. I don't know if I would place it ahead of the other games but its quite good. The legacy aspect is really fun in this one too.
3. #Terraforming Mars There are so many good solo games! This one is incredible. Sure, the art on the cards is hit-or-miss but wow the theme is incredible. The gameplay is amazing and satisfying. Each game plays out totally differently. And your engine and tableau is so unique each playthrough. If you haven't played this one and you are just a tiny bit interested in the theme - try it. You won't regret it.
2. #Mage Knight: Ultimate Edition I'm still angry that this game isn't ranked number one overall. This is a beast of a solo game. There are so many scenarios to explore. So many cards to add to your deck. So much adventure to be had. It has bad rulebooks. The miniatures are kind of mushy and blah. But the art is good. And the gameplay is absolutely sublime. And that core gameplay overrides all of it's warts and it's why it's the best solo game of all time.
1. #Spirit Island One of only two games that I've ever sold from my collection. On paper I should love this game. But despite multiple tries I just couldn't get into it. I can understand what people see in it. But it just didn't click with me for a solo game. Maybe it would've been better multiplayer but my group just isn't to the point where this is an option to play.
What games do I want to add to my collection?
Only a few...or a dozen... or more.
To name just a few. Hopefully I'll be able to add at least one of these to my collection during the Christmas season.
What do you all think of my solo collection? What is it missing? Any thoughts on the games that I listed there that I'd like to add next?