philryuh

Top 50 Most Visited Game Pages on BGA in 2019

BGA

As promised, here are the top 50 most visited game pages on BGA in 2019! It took a lot longer than I thought to prepare this but I hope it's interesting to some of you! :)

It's late so I don't have much brain power left, but here are some of my thoughts:

• Stonemaier Games still remains the powerhouse with three of their games in the top 5
  • Uhh... I had never heard of Muffin Time until now--have I been living in a cave? (Kickstarter ended with around $1.4M?)
  • Catan is still going strong
  • Codenames barely made the cut! Honestly expected it to have placed higher
  • Good to see some of my favorite games at the top (Root, Viticulture)

What are your thoughts on the results?

3 points by philryuh - updated 39 days ago | 20 comments | report | subscribe

rancidmike Supporter39 days ago | 1 point[-]

I wonder if this coincides with print runs, or kickstarter, or expansions? Also i think we need to hire some private investigators to get to the bottom of this muffin time mystery

BenjaminK 40 days ago | 1 point[-]

I'm pretty sure Spirit Island is up that high because of me haha I've been looking at that game quite a bit! 

And yeah, Muffin Time? Never heard of it until now! 

To be honest, I'm not surprised with the spread (except for Muffin Time). Seems about right from the amount of chatter these games get on the socials and their overall popularity. Also Seafall. From what I understand, nobody really likes that game. I was able to playtest it a bunch before its release and I really liked the six or so games of it I played. So who knows what's up with that game haha

JamesReid860 Supporter41 days ago | 1 point[-]

This is fascinating! I hadn’t heard of Muffin Time either? It’s interesting to see how many of the games in the top half are older games. I might have thought more of the hotness would be up higher. 

menthabrw Supporter42 days ago | 1 point[-]

I was waiting for some info like this. Interesting statistics :)
Muffin Time strucked me too, never heard of it untill now :D
Maybe Nemesis is the othe surprise on this list for me.

Marshwiggle92 Supporter41 days ago | 1 point[-]

I too had never heard of or. Haven't looked it up yet either. 

So we all didn’t contribute to Muffin Time being on the list haha

I guess not. 

Skurvy5 Supporter42 days ago | 1 point[-]

That’s a great top 50 games of all time list right there. 

Skurvy5 Supporter42 days ago | 1 point[-]

But it needs more Imperial Assault!

philryuh Supporter41 days ago | 1 point[-]

Just looked it up. Imperial Assault's page got..... 68 views! If you keep up talking about Imperial Assault, maybe it'll make a combeback next year (at that point, maybe you'd be an ambassador for the game hired by FFG lol)

Marshwiggle92 Supporter42 days ago | 1 point[-]

Very very interesting. It is cool how an older game like Agricola Revised Edition is a little higher than Codenames or Aeon's End

Marshwiggle92 Supporter42 days ago | 1 point[-]

Of course there are a bunch of older games that are much higher than codenames.

Catan,

Mage Knight,

War of the Ring,

Concordia,

Dominion,

Carcassone,

Pandemic,

etc.....

I am curious to see how peoples buying/playing habits are. Are people buying mostly new games are mostly games that are a year or more old?

What are people playing? Is it only the new hotness, or are they playing a lot of older games?

philryuh Supporter41 days ago | 1 point[-]

Ok now I'm curious as well, will see if I can snag some of that data after getting access to our amazon affiliate sales history.

Oh please don't go too much trouble, but I am curious. 

Occasionally I’ll get a new game (usually as part of a competition) but more often the games that I get are a year or more old. 

that sounds about right.

It just makes more sense for me. Either they are a bit cheaper by then or I can get them in trade from others who got it quick and didn't like it or are on to the next new thing. 

not only that, but you can make a more informed choice.

Exactly. The other thing that I've noticed is that there are often component issues or mistypes that are fixed later. So then the copy I get usually has had those issues fixed. 

Very good point.