This site prioritizes game information. Would you like to keep that way or would you want to priortize game prices? Prioritize PricesPrioritize Information

(Change this option in the future in the Account dropdown)

Feedback Friday (2020-12-18)

Owner

For those who are new, this is where you can share your feedback on all things related to Board Game Atlas. You can also find more information in this article where I walk through the various features on BGA.

This week, I mostly wanted to ask how you feel about the recent updates for the following pages:

• Home
  • Discover
  • Deals

One thought I have is that there's a need to differentiate between the Home and Discover page. With the recent updates, they're too similar. and I want to add in features in the future to make Discover a page that's more catered to your own preferences. It could give you recommendations based on your Lists, friends you've followed, reviewers you tend to like, etc. Basically, features fitting of the title "Discover".

The Deals page got a similar treatment today and received a visual overhaul. We tried to retain the practicality of the original Deals page by minimizing the height of the "banner" section. Currently, you'll get a quick snippet of the top four games in the deals section similar to how it was in the original. We're hoping that this will be a better experience since it's about the same amount of scrolling to do (maybe even less) but it's easier to see what the game's about based on the larger cover images.

For the Kickstarter page, we plan to add in additional sections to round out the experience. It will feature not just the currently active Kickstarters, but also feature the best Kickstarters of the current year, and the best of all time.

Later, as we have more forum activity, we might even consider featuring the Forum section at the bottom of Deals and Kickstarter pages, where it will show forum posts with related tags like "Deals," or ones tagged with "Crowdfunding" will show on the Kickstarter page.

There are plenty more thoughts to share, but I'll end at this for now. Let us know what you think!

Christmas LoveLike| 12 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

28 days ago

With the deals page, how does the system decide which four games to show?

Owner27 days ago

Hmmm I believe it just randomly selects a number of games from the full list? will have the answer to that one

27 days ago

Gotcha, similar to the discover page. I wonder if on the deals page it's worth showing the price even on the mini-lists, to lure people in?

28 days ago

Loving the updates, sites looking really nice. Hopefully you guys can mesh it all together more.

Owner27 days ago

Thanks! Ugh there are just so many things we want to go through lol. I guess it's better than feeling like there's nothing we can do 😆it's been helpful getting so many detailed feedback from everyone.

Edit: Oops, I thought I was replying to Marshwiggle's comment at first.

26 days ago

It's okay I can be the Chris you want me to be

Supporter30 days ago

I agree that the discover and the home pages are both pretty similar. But, they both look worlds better then the old iterations did.

Mostly I want to thank both and . for all the work that they have been pouring into this site. I joined some over a year ago, and the amount of change is unreal.

Owner27 days ago

Wow, crazy to think that we've already known each other for that long hahaha, it's awesome.

When we finally get to the "Review" page for each of the game pages, I want to make one that will have some of these things:

• In addition to showing all users' reviews, it should display a breakdown of the game's metrics (rules complexity, strategy complexity, as well as other ratings that we've been discussing about through past feedback posts, especially the ones that mentioned)
  • Allowing users to mark other users' reviews/ratings as "helpful" or not. The more helpful ones will get bumped up or you'll be able to sort in order of helpfulness
  • I'd also like to display top forum posts by reviewers in a style that will make it more likely for users to click through to their content. Just want to give content creators more love for what they're doing and for supporting us by sharing their content

Supporter27 days ago

Yes it is crazy.

I really like those ideas. I am also eagerly waiting for a 10 point waiting system....LOL

27 days ago

I love all of these ideas! Can't wait to see what 2021 brings for BGA :)

Premium User30 days ago

I will admit that when I first logged in and saw the new homepage, I thought I had gone to the Discover page instead. Both look great but yeah very similar lol

Owner27 days ago

Hahaha yeah, still a lot of work to be done there 😆

Linked Topic