First Thoughts After Playing with Oceania Expansion
We are currently camped about an hour outside of Big Bend National Park in Texas. It's a different part of Texas. Becky and I pulled out Wingspan to play in the trailer and got to try out all the new birds and boards. In brief:
1. Nectar is great and works well with the game. It seemed like rolling a rat was much harder if you had a hunter bird.
2. While the no bird egg action is nerfed, both the no bird food and no bird draw cards action are better. All three starting actions give you the option of discarding something to gain a second food/egg/card.. I think this speeds up the engine building aspect of the game. Also, if you fill your board up (or a row rather) the actions are more innately powerful and you don't have to discard anything to take 4 of that action.
3. I really like the birds in Oceania. The yello power birds are a nice add (end game triggers) and the other birds have intriguing powers. The wild wingspan for flightless birds is quite helpful when you need it.
4. The bonus cards are nice but not overpowered. I really focused on mine thinking that getting 14 points would possibly get me a win. Becky focused on her bird powers and she pulled it out 128/124. We did use our normal house rules, but I believe we are going to try the next game using game only rules after this last playthrough. It seems like the game is a bit more balanced toward letting you get your engine going with this expansion.
5. It won't fit in the box anymore. I ended up taking out the tray holder and laying the cards sideways on top of the boards in the box. I still got everythink to fit but not as nicely as I would like. We play this game so much I really want to be able to pull it out of one box.
If you've had a chance to play I'd ;ove to hear what you think!