Updates on Board Game Atlas
I've been a little quiet the past two days (well, more than usual) because Trent and I were going through some major changes.
Long story short, Trent entered a competition (pre COVID-19) to pitch about Board Game Atlas and it was announced two days ago that we won $120K competing against 6 other finalists. So after 1.5 years since launch, Trent and I finally got all of the investments needed for both of us to be working on this full-time without worrying about how we'll feed our families!
So what does that mean? I'll finally be able to afford #Too Many Bones for myself and get @nealkfrank a present! Ok, not really (I'm sorry Neal)... but we will have some good things coming for all of you.
Here are some thoughts/ideas I wanted to share after some major brainstorming session Trent and I had today:
Giveaways - You may have noticed that I haven't started the next round of our usual $60 board game giveaways. I'm in the process of changing up couple of things but I'm currently thinking of running 3 different types:
- Our usual $60 board game giveaways but as a gift card (every two weeks as usual)
- Partnered/sponsored Gleam giveaways working with publishers (whenever the opportunity rises)
- Plus some random giveaways every now and then that will target growing our YouTube channel and some specific articles/content that we'd like to promote
Contests/events - We're also wanting to hold monthly contests or events. We have some rough ideas here and there but we're still needing to brainstorm on this. And as always, we're always up for suggestions! Some rough ideas we have are:
- Game design competition - One event we've really wanted to do is to have a design event for people of color where we can offer a scholarship. We'd also like to hold one for any aspiring designers where we could have industry professionals on board to rate the designs (plus have "audience votes" from the community
- I'm even thinking of starting up random challenges like posting your best "shelfie," playing X number of games or games that have been sitting on your shelf, creating the best board game meme and see who gets the highest vote, etc.
Rewards - Besides giveaways, we've been wanting to create ways to reward everyone for their participation. For example, I want to get back to my drawing board and create some badges/icons that you can earn by unlocking some achievements. This could involve winning one of the random challenges mentioned above, or being a good conversation starter, someone who posts lots of great images, someone who posts lots of memes, someone who plays the most number of games, the person voted for the "best comment of the week/month," etc.
Content - I'll be focusing on long-form data driven articles and my interviews. Plus, we're thinking of doing some more stunts similar to the 24 hour marathon of #Welcome to... that Trent did a while back (remember, we still have #Monopoly: Longest Game Ever sitting on our shelf at the office).
Anyway, I'll leave it at this for now but just wanted to keep everyone in the loop! Thanks for continuing to support this community :D