Board Game Atlas Giveaway (Winner on August 2, 2020)

Supporter
Here's the info for the next round of giveaway! The prize will be a $60 gift card from a board game store of your choice. This is different from our usual prize where the winner selected a board game up to $60 in value.

Starts: Monday, July 20
Ends: Sunday, August 2

You will get +1 entry every time you complete any of these actions to contribute to our community:
  • Make a post on our forum or write an article
  • Comment or reply on posts/articles
  • Add/edit info on a game page
Each contribution is 1 additional entry and there's no limit to your contributions.

And as always, which game would you get if you were to win? If it were me, I'd fund it toward #Too Many Bones :)

Like| 97 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

4 months ago

I like the different structure of the giveaway here, and I'll be honest, I wouldn't typically post. But since that's the idea, let's start a fun discussion!

I'm a solo gamer, primarily. Last night I tried my luck against the Mechanical Marquise in Root and got my FACE SMASHED. What was the last solo game that you played? Did you win? Was it fun? Would you recommend it?

Excited to hear what everyone says!

Jeremy

3 months ago

I soloed #On Mars after buying it, mostly to help me learn the rules. I like the built-in variety of "difficulty levels" you can attempt as you get better at the game. Needless to say, since it was my first play I did not defeat Lacerda (the Bot's name) on the easiest difficulty level. Having said that…

Did I have fun? Would I recommend it solo? Will I solo it again? YES.

(#On Mars is really giving #Great Western Trail a run for its money as my favorite game of all time.)

3 months ago

I'm interested in On Mars. The retail price point scared me away a little bit even though I routinely drop more than that on KS. If it's worth it, though, especially for solo, I'm in!

3 months ago

Unfortunately (for your wallet), I definitely think #On Mars is worth it. (Do bear in mind, I'm very partial to Ian's stunning artwork and graphic design, and I love the theme as well… so those things certainly affect my opinion. But the gameplay is incredible and certainly doesn't take a back seat.)

Watch a solo playthrough and see what you think! It sure is a big, heavy box full of fun! 😄

Supporter3 months ago

I played Harbour recently solo. I won and it was enjoyable. Not typically a solo gamer 

3 months ago

Haven't played Harbour but I've heard good things. Is the solo mode it's own thing or like a beat-your-score type of setup?

Supporter4 months ago

The only solo games I really play are roll and writes. The last two I played were #Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale and #Welcome to.... I played a lot of #Root but not solo like my friend @philryuh has done. Did you play the updated solo or the original? I hear there's a 2.0 or something that makes gameplay a lot more fun for it.

4 months ago

The original solo from the Riverfolk expansion. I did a good amount of reading afterward though and it looks like 2.0 is much more balanced (read: easier). I'm also very curious about all this Better Bot Project stuff on BGG, and I ordered the Clockwork Expansion to really get serious.

I can see this game being so much fun with a big group, so if I can simulate that, I think it might really pop.

I haven't played many Roll & Write games but it's a category I'm interested in for sure. I backed Railroad Ink and I'm pretty optimistic about that. I feel like it could be an area that I could maybe use to get my wife to the table, which would be the holy grail for me, haha!

Supporter3 months ago

Clockwork is the way to go :)

Nice!! I've only played using the PnP files but it would be nice if I had the official boards haha. I look forward to hearing an update on your experience with it.

3 months ago

I bought the CWE because I wanted to support Leder and because I'm a completionist and want everything in that box, but it does kinda seem like it's redundant. I think all of the bots (which are sourced from the Better Bot Project as is) have been updated since the release, so the PnP files are the most current anyway.

I've been playing with printed copies of the most recent player boards for the bots, and the original ones for myself. Works really well! Each one has a learning curve, of course.

Supporter4 months ago

It's certainly a great thing when I can get my wife to play. After about a year of intermitant games that generally did well and some didn't I figure out what her preferences were and now we can play about once a week! #Gloomhaven ended up being the unlock to get her really hooked ;)

4 months ago

I'm pretty sure Gloomhaven would make my wife vomit immediately, so let's just say I envy you there. We do ok with things like Azul every now and again, but that's about as deep as it gets.

More power to you!

On to try Root against the Mechanical Marquise v2. I'm pretty convinced v1 is not winnable except with EXTREME luck. At least playing as the Eyrie, anyway.

4 months ago

Hey, guess what I got for my birthday, guys?!?!  STONE AGE!!!! hahahahaha  Now if I could only get my game mojo back.  I haven't played much since the pandemic hit bc my only playmate is my husband and I have been spending more time at my art table making mail art.

Anyway, if I won, I'm not sure what I would get.  Maybe WIngspan.

3 months ago

Wingspan is a lot like Agricola in my opinion...so don't get Winspan if you didn't like Agricola (unless you REALLY REALLY love birds, haha)

I say that because Agricola has the maximization factor. You have to maximize EVERY single turn, or your opponent will beat you...depending on who you play of course. I played my brother all the time in Agricola, and he has a very analytical mind and the only way to beat him was literally to not make a mistake the whole game, haha :)

Wingspan is the same. I like to think analytically too (I'm a math major in college right now) but I had a headache after playing the game the first time. Don't let this scare you - many people love it. But I just think it's not for everyone!

Supporter3 months ago

It's finally happened!!! Congrats lol

You could buy #Wingspan for $48 right now at Bed Bath and Beyond by signing up for their newsletter and getting a discount. But seeing how patient you've been with #Stone Age, I have a feeling you won't go for it but just in case xD

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/wingspan-2nd-edition-board-game/5436640?opbthead=true&ta=typeahead&keyword=wingspan

4 months ago

Excellent! That is very exciting! Hopefully you can carve out some time to get a play in! I have heard good things :) 

I kinda forgot what it was like to play games with people, so when I got back to it it was very refreshing, so I highly encourage you to break out of the funk!

4 months ago

That image reminded me that I'd probably invest the money in Pax Pamir. Still haven't played it but I love it for the visual appeal alone already.

Supporter4 months ago

It's a great one and it's suchhhhh a looker :)

Are there games in your collection that you got after getting hooked by the visuals?

3 months ago

I bought Captain Sonar and Colt Express based on the visuals :) The 3D trains and artwork of Colt Express hooked me quick, and the Battleship look of Captain Sonar made me want to get that as well. Of course, the gameplay of those games is what really caused me to buy it, but the visuals are what caught my attention as well!

4 months ago

Right there with you with the TMB funding lol. 

Supporter3 months ago

Fun! I'd probably get Champions of Midgard

3 months ago

We enjoy playing BoardGames, are top game played is Wingspan.

3 months ago

Nice! Would love to win those $60! :)

3 months ago

So many games to choose from! I'd probably start small with Ecosystem, and then go for a larger game!

Supporter3 months ago

#Too Many Bones for sure! Also up there might be #Everdell.

3 months ago

I'd like to get #The 7th Continent as I usually play solo and I love the theme.

3 months ago

I would get #Spirit Island

Supporter3 months ago

Great choice. 

4 months ago

I'd use it to grab those Flashpoint datapacks and art sleeves

4 months ago

1830. I'm a tax accountant that works in financial securities trading. I genuinely enjoy the concept of setting par value, making movements within a company, expanding track, and then selling it all and getting out. Im unsure how I'm going to get a new copy in the US though.