Top 100 Comparison BGA & r/boardgames & Boardgamegeek

Premium User
BGA

This proved to be fairly popular last time so I thought I'd do a quick list again comparing the top 100 games from board game atlas, r/boardgames on reddit, and board game geek. 

I haven't done a comparison between this month and last time I did it but I might work up to that eventually when I have time to automate it sufficiently.  If someone else has the time to do more with this data please feel free to do so and link me in so I can enjoy your work too!

Also, I know not everyone values top 100 lists and that's perfectly fine.  I'm not sending this out to tell you that you have to buy these games or enjoy them.

I think they are a good start for someone new to the hobby who doesn't know what they like yet.  Other than that it's a fun little amusement. :)

Without further ado:

Rank Board Game Atlas r/boardgames Boardgamegeek
1 Root Gloomhaven  Gloomhaven 
2 Gloomhaven Pandemic Legacy: Season 1  Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 
3 Scythe Brass: Birmingham  Brass: Birmingham 
4 Wingspan Spirit Island  Terraforming Mars 
5 Terraforming Mars Concordia  Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition 
6 Azul Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)  Through the Ages: A New 
7 Viticulture: Essential Edition Food Chain Magnate  Star Wars: Rebellion 
8 Spirit Island War of the Ring: Second Edition  Gaia Project 
9 Pandemic Gaia Project  Twilight Struggle 
10 Codenames Twilight Struggle  Great Western Trail 
11 7 Wonders Great Western Trail  War of the Ring: Second Edition 
12 7 Wonders Duel Through the Ages: A New Scythe 
13 Carcassonne A Feast for Odin  Spirit Island 
14 The Castles of Burgundy The Castles of Burgundy  The Castles of Burgundy 
15 Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 Terra Mystica  Terra Mystica 
16 Concordia Terraforming Mars  Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion 
17 Splendor Pax Pamir (Second Edition)  7 Wonders Duel 
18 Ticket To Ride Star Wars: Rebellion  Concordia 
19 Race for the Galaxy Keyflower  Brass: Lancashire 
20 Santorini Brass: Lancashire  Arkham Horror: The Card Game 
21 Brass: Birmingham Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 Wingspan 
22 Patchwork Arkham Horror: The Card Game  A Feast for Odin 
23 Catan 7 Wonders Duel  Viticulture Essential Edition 
24 Everdell Scythe  Orléans 
25 Jaipur Kingdom Death: Monster  Mage Knight Board Game 
26 Kingdomino Root  Puerto Rico 
27 Great Western Trail Agricola  Nemesis 
28 Love Letter Orl\u00e9ans  Caverna: The Cave Farmers 
29 Star Realms Viticulture Essential Edition  Food Chain Magnate 
30 King of Tokyo Agricola (Revised Edition)  The 7th Continent 
31 Lords of Waterdeep Crokinole  Root 
32 Architects of the West Kingdom Mage Knight Board Game  Agricola 
33 The Quacks of Quedlinburg Caverna: The Cave Farmers  Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 
34 Welcome to... Race for the Galaxy  Mansions of Madness: Second Edition 
35 Clans of Caledonia Android: Netrunner  Blood Rage 
36 Clank! A Deck-Building Adventure Mechs vs. Minions  Kingdom Death: Monster 
37 Blood Rage Clans of Caledonia  Everdell 
38 Small World Eclipse  Power Grid 
39 Puerto Rico Azul  Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar 
40 Forbidden Island Fields of Arle  Mechs vs. Minions 
41 Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game Le Havre  Star Wars: Imperial Assault 
42 Dominion: Second Edition Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar  Clans of Caledonia 
43 Five Tribes Power Grid  Through the Ages: A Story
44 Arkham Horror: The Card Game Lisboa  Maracaibo 
45 Orléans Roll for the Galaxy  Le Havre 
46 Sagrada Clank! Legacy: Acquisitions  Eclipse 
47 Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar Dominant Species  Azul 
48 Sushi Go! The Gallerist  Anachrony 
49 Lost Cities Codenames  Underwater Cities 
50 Roll For The Galaxy Indonesia  The Voyages of Marco Polo 
51 Ticket to Ride: Europe Blood Rage  The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine 
52 Coup Inis  Robinson Crusoe: Adventures
53 Raiders of the North Sea Patchwork  Too Many Bones 
54 Power Grid 1830: Railways & Robber Barons  Android: Netrunner 
55 Star Wars: Rebellion The Voyages of Marco Polo  Marvel Champions: The Card Game 
56 Sushi Go Party! Star Wars: Imperial Assault  The Gallerist 
57 Dixit Age of Steam  Race for the Galaxy 
58 Inis Wingspan  7 Wonders 
59 Robinson Crusoe: Adventures
 on the Cursed Island
The Great Zimbabwe  Fields of Arle 
60 Agricola (Revised Edition) Vinhos Deluxe Edition  Teotihuacan: City of Gods 
61 Hanabi Troyes  Dominant Species 
62 A Feast For Odin Pandemic: Iberia  Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure 
63 Terra Mystica Kemet  Five Tribes 
64 Cosmic Encounter Puerto Rico (with two expansions)  Lords of Waterdeep 
65 The Resistance Tigris & Euphrates  Keyflower 
66 Star Wars Imperial Assault Glory to Rome  Lisboa 
67 Twilight Struggle El Grande  Crokinole 
68 Takenoko Aeon's End: War Eternal  Aeon's End 
69 Stone Age Yokohama  Caylus 
70 Gaia Project The 7th Continent  Agricola (Revised Edition) 
71 Sheriff of Nottingham Decrypto  The Quacks of Quedlinburg 
72 Mysterium Five Tribes  El Grande 
73 Keyflower Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)  Twilight Imperium: Third Edition 
74 Betrayal at House on the Hill Galaxy Trucker: Anniversary Edition  On Mars 
75 Forbidden Desert Hansa Teutonica  Eldritch Horror 
76 Mage Knight Sidereal Confluence: Trading and  Architects of the West Kingdom 
77 Mansions of Madness: Second Edition Ticket to Ride: 10th Anniversary  Barrage 
78 The Mind Forbidden Stars  Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game 
79 Caverna: The Cave Farmers Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective:  Rising Sun 
80 Suburbia Aeon's End  Dominion: Intrigue 
81 Istanbul Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game  Troyes 
82 Champions of Midgard The Resistance: Avalon  Mombasa 
83 Deception: Murder in Hong Kong Cosmic Encounter  Clank! Legacy: Acquisitions 
84 Pax Pamir (Second Edition) Dominion: Intrigue  Paladins of the West Kingdom 
85 For Sale Robinson Crusoe: Adventures  Patchwork 
86 Food Chain Magnate Mansions of Madness: Second Edition  Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon 
87 Hive Underwater Cities  Russian Railroads 
88 Arboretum 7 Wonders  Raiders of the North Sea 
89 Skull Tichu  Codenames 
90 Onitama Teotihuacan: City of Gods  Tigris & Euphrates 
91 Century: Spice Road Istanbul  Roll for the Galaxy 
92 The Resistance: Avalon Grand Austria Hotel  Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective:
93 Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan  Trajan 
94 Teotihuacan: City of Gods Maracaibo  The Lord of the Rings: Journeys
95 Captain Sonar BattleCON: Devastation of Indines  Grand Austria Hotel 
96 One Night Ultimate Werewolf Mombasa  Dominion 
97 Magic: The Gathering Millennium Blades  Pandemic 
98 Bohnanza Marvel Champions: The Card Game  Pandemic: Iberia 
99 Galaxy Trucker Hive Pocket  Lorenzo il Magnifico 
100 Castles of Mad King Ludwig Ora et Labora  Champions of Midgard 

Christmas Victory PointFire LikeLike| 38 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

5 months ago

BGA list seems to trend toward light-medium euro and more popular games overall. While I like some Star realms, sushi go, King of Tokyo once in a while, it's hard to see them in the top 100 boardgame overall. 

5 months ago

I definitely see where you're coming from. It really punctuates how difficult it is to have just one list fulfill the needs of a complex hobby. Games serve different purposes to different people. Not everyone has the time or energy for complex games and it may have nothing to do with how "experienced" someone is in the hobby. At the same time, it's a totally natural progression for hobbyists to move on to bigger and complex stuff, because you want to see the boundaries pushed for something you love.

Supporter5 months ago

Yes, I do feel like the BGA list very much trends a little lighter. And, quite frankly, I am a person that prefers heavier games. That being said, I don't mind having this list skew lighter. I keep a pretty sharp eye on the BGA list and on the BGG list. But, I only watch them for interests sake. I don't really base research or purchase decisions on them.

5 months ago

I don't buy game based on these list either, but I do enjoy seeing entries within top list that I haven't heard about or a bit more obscure so I can take a look at it. This however feel like a very safe recommendation list to me and I would want to see some more less known title

Not complaining though, just some observation. I wonder if the algorithm give some boost for games with more score recored though.

Premium User5 months ago

A “Top 100” is always going to be a pretty ethereal thing. I play a wide variety of games and I'm more than happy to give a top rating to a light game that does what a light game should really well. #Kingdomino, #Love Letter, and #Cockroach Poker being prime examples for me with #Take 5 coming on as well.

I’m personally ok with a list that fluctuates a bit more and hopefully reduces the problem of games being highly rated and never having their ratings updated over time when they may not be as good in comparison to other games anymore. We’ll see though. 

5 months ago

Yeah wholeheartly agree about the problem, but I'm not sure how to combat again that. Most people can't be bothered to rate the game, much less update the score after a while so it's hard to have a fluctuate ranking like that

Premium User5 months ago

My understanding is that BGA includes a metric around how frequently a game is being referenced.  I am not sure on the details but it should freshen the list up a bit.  Super well rated games will still be high on the list but as a game gets out of the zeitgeist I'm assuming it will be ranked somewhat lower.  

We'll see how it all goes!

5 months ago

Ratings on here are a lot different, didn't expect that

Premium User5 months ago

There are a few reasons:

1) The r/boardgames ratings come from those users BGG ratings.  So the BGG environment is going to influence them.

2) BGA adds in a factor that is somehow related to how much a game is mentioned/commented on/etc.  So it will tend to have more movement and be more popularized.

3) Different site with different people, different culture, and not holding years of ratings data right now.

it is pretty cool to see the differences!

5 months ago

Oh that's cool, I gotta start using the # more then for the good ones

Premium User5 months ago

It's worth checking them out.  Everyone has their own likes so a top 100 list is a decent place to start investigating.

5 months ago

The Dice tower did a series of video's a couple of years ago that were "10 games better than X" where X was classic games like Clue, Monolopy, Sorry, etc.  I watched those as I was getting into the hobby.  It was nice to know what type of games gave you similiar experiences to games I already knew.  There is a lot on these lists that I wouldn't recommend a new gamer jump into or purchase right away, especially towards the top of the lists.  Given the expensiveness and expansiness of the hobby a little knowledge can help keep people interested and excited.

Premium User5 months ago

That is a good point.  Although I still think it's an ok list to start from.  But perhaps we need a "top 10 steps up from monopoly" list.  :)

5 months ago

Interesting that the top of the reddit and BGG list are pretty similar while BGA is very different.  I'm assuming that it's because its a different and newer community.  BGG has always been biased towards the heavy games. 

Premium User5 months ago

That and the reddit results are pulled from the reddit users BGG ratings. I almost didn’t include it but they are different enough that I think it sort of gives a middle ground almost. 

BGG has a bunch of older ratings and I would guess the users skew older.

Reddit users will be influenced by BGG for sure but likely skews youngerthan BGG.

BGA is just a new thing entirely so who knows where it lands right now?

5 months ago

Ah, I haven't spent any time on r/boardgames so don't know anything about it.  But yeah, stands to reason that they would be very similar. 

Premium User5 months ago

It’s a decent community that has grown a lot over the last few years.  I tend to prefer th BGA community now but they often have interesting posts and topics as well. 

Premium User5 months ago

Can't say I'm surprised to see #Root get the top spot on BGA..

5 months ago

I think it's good fun, but I think the problems might show once all players have had some experience with the game. I think once everyone knows how to play their character well then it becomes whoever survives rather that who wins.

Premium User5 months ago

You see that actually makes it sound interesting to me but confirms I would never actually get to play it haha

Premium User5 months ago

My impression is that the real game begins once all the players have experience and knows how all of the different sides work.  

I can tell you that I played it twice and both times the game ended quickly because people didn't properly balance against one side or the other.  

Premium User5 months ago

Yeah I've heard that to happen. If you aren't attacking the right characters or something to that effect, the person playing them could just run away with the game unnoticed.

Premium User5 months ago

Yup.  First game no one went after the cats...cats steamrolled.

Next game everyone nailed the cats...left the Eyrie alone.  Birds won handily.

I think the players have to know all of the rolls reasonably well and then the game becomes interesting.  

5 months ago

I've heard people start to dislike it once they discover the real game and it takes away from what they enjoyed about it.

Premium User5 months ago

I could see that.  It's a war game in a board game's body so if you go in expecting one and get the other it would be disappointing.

Premium User5 months ago

It does seem to be really popular!  I have played it a couple of times and in the steam version as well. 

For my group we don’t play the same game many times which I think is needed to really see root shine. 

Premium User5 months ago

I just know it wouldn't work for me either mostly because Sarah wouldn't like it. It would require me to either bring it with me to our meetup group or hope that we eventually have enough people over where we could play without her. But I wouldn't want that either. Of course I still haven't played so I don't even know if I would like it

Owner5 months ago

Thanks for doing this again! Sure seems like not many new games manage to break into the Top 100 on any of these lists. For our list, it really does flucuate a lot and I hope it'll find its ground as more users join. 

One thing is that it's so hard to capture the "correct" Top 100 that represents a good average of everyone in the community. For ours, I can see why so many of those lighter games are ranking quite high, but it doesn't seem to reflect what is most "popular". For the other lists, there's a little too much spotlight on the heavy games. How do we find the right balance? Ours will also fluctuate quite a bit whenever we have a large group of new users importing their BGG data.

Supporter5 months ago

I don't know how many games are a "lot." But, I do think that even BGG has a decent amount of new games in the top 100. For 2020, we already see 2 games in the top 100. The highest of those is #Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion at number 16. For 2020 we see 9 games in the top 100. The highest of those is #Wingspan at number 21. And in a week I expect we will see at least one other game from 2019 in the top 100.

I know there are differences of opinion on this. But, to my way of thinking..... for a Top 100 of All Time to have over 10% of games be less than two years old is pretty decent rate of new games entering. Especially considering that advantage that established older titles have on bgg.

Premium User5 months ago

I think 10% is pretty good as well.  I think how many are "enough" is really subjective.  

If it's top 100 right now then 10% is fine.  If it's top 100 of all time then 10% a year seems like a lot to me.  

All pretty subjective.