Game You Only Play Because of the Theme

Supporter

So as I was playing #Star Wars Imperial Assault the other night and I got to thinking about how important Star Wars as a theme is to me.

It also made me realize that I probably wouldn't have picked up a game like IA if it had another theme (I know some people compare it to Descent).  So likely I would have never experienced or been drawn to a dungeon crawler if it hadn't been for the theme.

Anyone else have games they've only played because of the theme and may not otherwise have played it?

Like| 5 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Premium User2 months ago

I recently traded for#Rap Godz simply for the theme. Old school hip hop has always been my favorite genre so to see it in a board game it was an obvious decision.

2 months ago

#War of the Ring (Second Edition), I don't think I would have been nearly so excited to play it has it been generic fantasy or another theme entirely

Supporter2 months ago

I'd love to play this some day.

Supporter2 months ago

I don't. But, I can see that I might do something like you do with IA. But, the underlying game would need to be at least ok.

Owner2 months ago

The closest thing I can think of is #Disney Villainous. I would never have picked up a used copy of this had it not been about Disney, and it's because of that reason that I'll happily part with it if someone's interested in buying.

Other than that though, I think the more likely case to think about for me is--how many games in my collection would I have not bought if the production value had been a little less stellar of if it had been less good looking?

Linked Topic