What did you play this week? (10/5/2020)

(10/5/2020) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

Like| 34 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

57 days ago

This has been #Root Week for me. I finally got my own copy and I recently received #Root: The Clockwork Expansion in a math trade. I didn't waste any time jumping in!

#Root x8 (4 players x1 | 2 players x1 | 1 player x6 / 13 total plays) - Needless to say, I've been enjoying the expansion. Typed up a session report here.

#Modern Art x1 (4 players / 6 total plays) - This is THE auction game for me right now. Such a sharp design. I'd love to give #Ra a shot down the line. I'm curious as to which I'd prefer.

#Fort x1 (4 players / 1 total play) - Interesting first play. Not sure how I feel. I really had to supervise the other players and make sure they were understanding the game, so I didn't really have the bandwidth to focus on my own game #TeacherProblems. I hope to get a second game in soon.

57 days ago

Holy cow, 8 plays of Root??

57 days ago

Yep! But, I had some free time and six of the plays were solo, so that definitely padded the stats haha.

Premium User56 days ago

Now I don't feel so bad playing #The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine on board game arena about that many times yesterday haha

58 days ago

Not much happening this week, just one game of #The Quacks of Quedlinburg last night! This next week should be a little more active though especially with #Pax Pamir (Second Edition) being shipped and arriving this week!

58 days ago

Oh nice! How long ago did you back it? Do you think you'll play solo right away, or will you try to get in a multiplayer game soon?

58 days ago

I backed it literally the first day on kickstarter that it was announced...it has been a long time coming! The game should arrive on Wednesday and my friend and I have a scheduled session on Thursday :)

58 days ago

That's awesome. I look forward to hearing how it goes :)

58 days ago

I am pumped out of my mind, it has been a long time coming and I will for sure do a post-game write up on my experience. The wife is out of town this weekend as well so there will be many games being played!

58 days ago

Haha, love those weekends where you get to just go ham with gaming

58 days ago

I have not heard that term in a long time lol. I will definitely go ham this weekend!

58 days ago

lol, go ham!

Premium User57 days ago

Just thinking about Napoleon Dynamite and him yelling "eat the ham!"

51 days ago

This weekend was basically nothing but #Pipeline. My wife and I started with a learning game Friday night, which I won. Then we played 6 games between Saturday and Sunday, and I lost every game by an increasing amount of points maxing out at a 500 point differential until the last game when it was pretty close. I think it's a very fun game, but one of those 6 was so frustrating. I think I was unknowingly doing a very similar thing as she was, and my plans were ruined basically every other turn.  It also feels hard to learn how to play well.  I think there are a lot of suboptimal plays available, and it's really easy to not recognize the best play.  Overall though, we both enjoyed the games.

Other than that, we got in a 4 player game of #The Quacks of Quedlinburg. Always fun.

Owner56 days ago

I played #The Quest for El Dorado two-handed last night so that Trent and I can compare this vs. Clank! in the future. Great game and I can finally say that I've played a game by Reiner Knizia :)

58 days ago

Only one game this week: #Root w/4 players. I played as the Vagabond for the 3rd time. We had 2 first time players, who played as the Cats and the Birds. They did pretty well I thought! There was some learning along the way, but that's fine. The guy who owns the game played as the Lizard Cult, which seems like a really interesting faction, but I don't think he played them that well. He was at 0 points for quite a long time, and came in dead last.

I ended up winning, I think mostly because people left me completely to my own devices, haha. I've now somehow won 3 of the 4 times I've played Root, which I don't think is a true indication of my skill, just that we're all still kind of learning the game and I've just been the one who ended up winning.

50 days ago

Did a full day of gaming on Saturday.  Got almost 11 hours in as I had a friend visit who has heard of a lot of discussion about some of these games but had never played any before.  He really enjoyed everything we played.

54 days ago

#Downforce: Wild Ride Expansion with my two boys.  I ended up winning as they spent as much time trying to prevent the other from winning that I actually snuck in for the win. 

#Battleships with my youngest.  I hung on for the win in this one.  Came down to the wire.

Then had my normal Thursday game night and played 2 games of #Sagrada winning one/losing one.  Followed up with a game of #Arboretum for the first time in years.  Man I forgot just how much of a brain burner that game is.

54 days ago

#Downforce: Wild Ride Expansion with my two boys.  I ended up winning as they spent as much time trying to prevent the other from winning that I actually snuck in for the win. 

#Battleships with my youngest.  I hung on for the win in this one.  Came down to the wire.

57 days ago

Played #Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island with 4 players last night.  We actually won, I was kinda surprised but its easier than the solo mode (or we screwed up a rule or two). 

Finished the evening with 3 games of #The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine  We completed 2 scenarios last night. 

Premium User54 days ago

I've been playing a lot of The Crew on board game arena. It's super addicting

54 days ago

Didn't realize BGA had "The Crew" on Beta.  Will definitly check it out.

Premium User53 days ago

Yeah I heard it was on there and have been playing all week. Up to I think 13 games now lol

50 days ago

Played some on Friday on BGA.  Started 2 campaigns on level 1 and then started a campain on level 20 (wanted to get to a level i hadn't played before).  Took 6 tries to pass level 21 with 5 people, that's a tough level.

Premium User50 days ago

I've never played with more than 4 even on BGA. 5 sounds really tough in general 

50 days ago

I think 4 is the sweet spot for the game.  The difficulty is at a level where you're not always going to win but not as tough as a 5 player game.  The 5 player game is really tough, especially at some of the higher scenario counts where you need to make 5+ requirements since it means you can only have 3 tricks where someone isn't completing a requirement. 

Played in person last night and we did scenarios 16 - 18 on first try and then took 3 tries to complete 19 and we still haven't :(  That's been the hardest one for us so far.

Premium User49 days ago

I couldn't even tell you the highest scenario we reached. The last couple games I played there were 3 of us and I believe we started at scenario 20 and maybe got to 23 before I had to stop playing. I could see where the cards that have to be won could also make it extremely difficult. For instance if only one color came up for scenarios with 4+ tricks it could be tough.

Premium User57 days ago

Played a lot of new to me games this week.

Started off the week with #The Gallerist. You can read my first impressions here. I played again yesterday morning and it went much smoother at least for me. My fiance got a little frustrated specifically when she wanted to perform an action she could not and immediately decided she doesn't like the game lol. I'm sure we'll play it again - it will just take some time to get it back on the table.

Then we played #Res Arcana. I grabbed this online from Target when they were having a 10% off sale. Added up with some other discounts from my Target Circle account and some gift cards I had saved up, I was able to snag it for around $19! This was actually recommended to me after I posted my Top 25. I ended up losing in the end but the game did not disappoint. Looking forward to playing this more.

Ended the week with my future in-laws playing a trio of games - #Similo which continues to be a hit with them, #A Fake Artist Goes to New York which my future sister in law described as Werewolf but with drawing lol, and #Speculation. Speculation didn't go over as well as I had hoped (I bought it thinking they would enjoy it based on other games they like), but that's usually how new games tend to go for them.

Overall a pretty good week!

Supporter58 days ago

Pretty good week for games this week!

• #The Isle of Cats (TTS, Multiplayer): First time playing it.  It's a fun little game!  Has enough depth to keep it interesting but at a pretty quick game time.  
  • #Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale (TTS, Multiplayer): One of my favourites.  I love making maps!  I might have had one of my best games ever as well despite us having a lot of ambushes come up.
  • #Watergate (TTS, Multiplayer) x2: First time playing for me.  I liked it!  Definitely the tension of push/pull between the different things each side is trying to achieve is great and both of our games came down to the wire.
  • #Marvel Champions: The Card Game (TTS, Multiplayer): I got a bit of play in at the first SHUX and was intrigued.  Finally getting a full game in was great.  I could definitely see potentially getting in to this one.  I love the secret identity/super hero flipping and the different characters and decks definitely have different feels to them.
  • #Tekhenu: Obelisk of the Sun (Physical, Solo): Really wanted to give this another shot!  I realized about an hour in to the game that I was screwing up the rules enough that I had to restart.  Got it right on the restart and had a really good game!  I was behind all game, sometimes by quite a bit but I managed to pull together some big decrees in the last turn to rocket ahead to a win!

57 days ago

#Tekhenu: Obelisk of the Sun definitely intrigues me, but the board looks a bit busy for my tastes.