Top 5 games that I like but am really bad at
Is it a short list because I am awesome at games or just dislike any game I lose? Who knows!
5) #Istanbul - I really enjoyed the couple of times I have played this game, it is a really clever mechanic, however, I think both times I have tried to play too 'neatly'. I try to make everything add up nicely and be efficient, which unfortunately means I haven't been flexible enough to grab the opportunites that the board presents or the limitations other player create. As such, while what I collect is usually pretty efficient, other players have rushed to victory while I am still busy constructing my grand plan
4) #Flick Em Up! - I only played this once, and while I had an absolute blast I was hilariously terrible, my bullets just couldn't hit and I mostly just ran into things. However, when i played #Catacombs 3rd Edition not too long ago, I was considerably more successful so hopefully if I come across those dexterous cowboys again I might fair better.
3) #Colt Express - Not sure what went wrong with this game, but I ended up broke and full of bullets. That said I think it is a brilliant design and would happily sit down to get shot up any time. The turn-based action planning that everyone can see but struggles to remember is excellent, the slight asymmetry is great and the semi-coop aspect when the sheriff is involved as a whole new layer as you are basically trying to convince everyone else to deal with him while stealing all the money for yourself.
2) #Onitama - I so want to be good at this game, I think the mechanic of passing you movement card to your opponent after you use it is great as it gives you (theoretical) a lot of control over how they play. However, my brain just can't hold enough of the variables in it to plan more than one or two turns ahead so inevitably I do something very dumb but only realise after it is far too late.
1) #Perudo - Another mystery, I have played this game so many times as it is one we often broke out at university and I think I have probably only won it once or twice at most. Calculating the odds is no problem for me and usually I am pretty good at bluffing games but for some reason I tend to crash out hard and early in this game. Still it is a elegantly simple game, that is easy to transport and is pub safe as the components can be washed easily.