philryuh

Board Game Atlas Giveaway (Winner on October 23, 2019)

Onto the third round of our $60 board game giveaway! (Ends Wednesday on October 23, 2019 at 11:59 PM PST). Just as before, this is an entirely separate giveaway from the one on our social media.

You will get +1 entry every time you complete any of these actions to contribute to our community:

• Make a post on our forum or write an article
  • Comment or reply on posts/articles
  • Refer a friend using this link: https://www.boardgameatlas.com/signup?referral (send this link to your friends and have them input your username under the referral section)

Each contribution is 1 additional entry and there's no limit to your contributions so let's see how far we can go with this third round of giveaway!

You can see the full rules here.

Also, you can check out our past winners here:

Which game will you be getting if you won?

4 points by philryuh - updated 5 hours ago | 116 comments | report

Wayde Holland 7 days ago | 2 points

I'm hoping for Dinosaur Island. I've heard that it's quite the brain burner. If you've played it would you say this is true? Which game that you've played would you consider to be the heaviest? 

Irate 4 days ago | 1 point

It's a good time. The decision space shouldn't burn you out but you can have some interesting choices. I enjoy it. But if I want my head to hurt, I'll play Food Chain Magnate.

BenjaminK 5 days ago | 1 point

I wouldn't necessarily call Dinosaur Island a brain burner, but it is a lot of fun. Definitely worth getting. The heaviest game could be Gloomhaven. I hear it weighs 22 pounds! haha

nealkfrank 6 days ago | 1 point

I have not heard Dinosaur Island called a brain burner, I have heard it is fun and the playthroughs I have seen make it seem like a pretty thinky yet mellow game!

giraffeheid 4 days ago | 0 points

The game isn't generally considered that heavy because actions you make are direct. Buying a recipe gives you access to a dinosaur, paying for more security gets you more security.

The toughest part of Dinosaur Island is when you are trying to do 3 things on a turn and you have to math out how to do those things with your available turns. But this is true of any action selection game (e.g. worker placement).

The joy in Dinosaur Island is the theme and presentation. If you enjoy this theme then I imagine you will enjoy the game. If you are at all afraid it is too heavy, I would tell you that any difficulty you might have with the game will get ironed out with multiple plays.

prozzden 10 days ago | 2 points

Clank or maybe one of the D&D dungeon crawl games I don't own yet. 

Woodyx 8 days ago | 1 point

Clank in space is one of those games I would love to get to the table more than I do!  Highly recommend it.  The space has a modular board to allow for more differences with each replay.

sdirrane 11 days ago | 2 points

You know, I was looking at Mice and Mystics (if I'm lucky enough to win another time).  Has anyone here played it?  Thoughts?

Skurvy5 11 days ago | 2 points

I think this looks cool too. Would be a fun one to play with the kids. 

xldh 11 days ago | 1 point

I played it once several years back. It is a great game to introduce children (and even adults) to boardgaming and even to RPG's. It is a little on the light side but I would not mind having it in my collection to play with my kids from time to time.

sdirrane 10 days ago | 1 point

That's good to know.  I have a few games I play with my 7 year old and I want to keep getting her (and her little sisters when they are old enough) more into gaming.  I wonder if I could modify Imperial Assault to play well with kids and skip this one.  Especially since some of the reviews show it to be really heavy on the dice rolling.  I actually enjoy some dice rolling but not too much.  I really don't like games that are totally dependent on it (unless it's modified dice, ie 1775: Rebellion).

nealkfrank 11 days ago | 1 point

I have never heard of this! I’ll need to give it a look!

Skyw3rd 11 days ago | 1 point

I wanted to like Mice and Mystics so much. My kids and I loved the minis and the story, but playing it felt so random and if you fail you have to start the whole thing over again. Some scenarios are almost 2 hours depending on how focused you can be. I wanted to like it. In the end I decided against it.

sdirrane 10 days ago | 1 point

Have you played anything from Plaid Hat Games you enjoy?  I'm asking because I was also looking at Stuffed Fables and Tail Feathers

Skyw3rd 9 days ago | 1 point

Since Tail Feathers is a miniatures war game at it's core, I avoided it. Stuffed Fables didn't grab me. I'm really thinking of checking out Aftermath though. It seems like the best of both worlds and the next step for these type of games.

sdirrane 8 days ago | 1 point

Aftermath does look intriguing.  But the price tag is high right now.  I’d probably have to wait for a bit after it’s release.

sdirrane 12 days ago | 2 points

Woot, woot.  Looking to make a come back this giveaway after being denied back to back championships.  Ha.

BenjaminK 12 days ago | 1 point

The race is on! :) 

sdirrane 12 days ago | 1 point

Will the Wingspan Expansion be available if you win back to back?  If not you should just wait for a later contest ;)

That's a good question. maybe I'll go dark for this giveaway...just in case :)

philryuh 12 days ago | 1 point

You know Ben, since you got Wingspan, if you haven't had a chance to read this yet, here was an interview I did with the artists. It was neat playing the game after the interview and having all these new revelations on how they got connected with Stonemaier Games, how long they took on certain cards, etc!

https://www.boardgameatlas.com/forum/XTO9WbDBqe/how-the-best-board-game-of-2019-wingspan-reunited-two-high-school-friends-interview

Skurvy5 11 days ago | 1 point

Thanks for the share. This was a great article. 

philryuh 10 days ago | 1 point

I actually have read that! I think I read it right after it went live. Very cool stuff. I think I'll read it again before we play our brand new copy so I can give some further insight to my wife (and others) while we play. Whenever we watch Star Wars, she always waits for the random facts that literally nobody knows about but me and a handful of others. So she's used to it haha

If three consecutive wins ever happens, I'm going to create a virtual trophy for that person lol. Maybe I should make one for one time winners too (like... "achievement" icons that will show up on your profile or something?)

I'd love to see some kind of extra icon.  Sort of like they have badges on Facebook (yes I'm old enough to still use Facebook).

Alright, I'll draw up some of these once I get through most of my interviews :)

As a fellow winner I totally agree. We need to feel even more special! /s

BenjaminK 5 days ago | 1 point

I heartily agree. I feel special, yes, but I want to feel really special hahaha

Come on guys!! Share the love!!

OneCrazyCanuck 10 days ago | 1 point

I think I'd look at D&D's Tomb of Annihilation just to get something to get me into the spooky mood of the Halloween season! Thanks for the contest!

philryuh 10 days ago | 1 point

Enjoy! :)

And welcome to the forum! How did you find us?

OneCrazyCanuck 10 days ago | 1 point

I believe it was through an EverythingBoardGames link. Glad I found my way here!

Gordo81 2 days ago | 1 point

My kids would love to have a copy of Minecraft builders and biomes

philryuh 41 hours ago | 1 point

Well, now you're in the running so good luck!

camustafa 2 days ago | 1 point

There are so many to choose from! But I never win these things so I think I will defer picking one. :)

I can relate, I've never won anything either haha. Actually, I won this contest at my full-time job where we filled out our guesses for our co-worker's upcoming newborn (guess on the gender, time of birth, weight, height, etc.). I ended up winning because I actually guessed the exact time (hour, minute, AM/PM). No prize or anything though, just the honors lol

demersadam 3 days ago | 1 point

Spirit Island!

Seems to be mentioned quite a bit on this thread alone!

theDL 3 days ago | 1 point

I have been eyeing Everdell! Anyone have any thoughts on it?

WTPhug 3 days ago | 1 point

philryuh 3 days ago | 1 point

Looking at your list, you'd be able to get a few of those together for a total of $60! :)

WTPhug 3 days ago | 1 point

Or I could spend it all on Wingspan. :)

When Ben (u/BenjaminK) selected Wingspan for his prize I bought it immediately in case it went out of stock again lol. Great game!

threadlock 3 days ago | 1 point

Probably My Little Scythe to play with my kids.

Nice! How old are your kids? Which games have been a hit with them? I'm also curious what's been the most complex game they've ever played (I have a 15 month old son haha)

threadlock 5 hours ago | 1 point

My kids ages are 3, 5, 10, and 11.  The older kids are starting to get into family-weight games like Ticket To Ride, Dice Throne, and CLANK! but my 5-year-old is the true gamer at heart.  I've had good success with Stuffed Fables, Carcassonne, Spirits of the Wild, Incan Gold, Ticket To Ride: First Journey, Drop It!, and 5-Minute Marvel with all except my 3-year-old.

bushtotalk 3 days ago | 1 point

I would definitely have to use it to get Concordia!

ashrael 3 days ago | 1 point

Era: Medieval Age looks like a fun world-building game

Dralemaker 4 days ago | 1 point

Spirit Island, but a year ago I would have been torn between Kemet or Cyclades in that price range!

Did you end up getting your hands on Kemet or Cyclades since then?

Dralemaker 39 hours ago | 1 point

I still havn't, no.  School has put fun on hold for the most part, but I've also found that I'd rather play coop games and they're much easier to get to the table rhan pvp games.  

What about you, have you tried Kemet/Cyclades/Spirit Island?

dchedz 4 days ago | 1 point

Dynasty Invasion for Rising Sun

halucinagenia 4 days ago | 1 point

We have just acquired 32 new games which we pick up in a month, we got so many off our wishlist. I would probably go with Viticulture, we have played it a ton already with a friends copy but it’s just such a great game.

Viticulture's been getting more and more plays in our group. The friend who owns it recently got Tuscany so I'm looking forward to the changes!

singhalex 4 days ago | 1 point

Maracaibo or Cooper Island

Irate 4 days ago | 1 point

Here's to hoping some of my games drop by 5-10 on my wishlist xD

5-10? As in in terms of its price? lol

Irate 3 days ago | 1 point

Yes! Haha

rlupino 4 days ago | 1 point

Mystery House or Clank Acquisitions would both be excellent.  Looking forward to more content on the site.

Welcome to the forum! What type of content have you liked here so far?

rlupino 3 days ago | 1 point

I like the front page with all the game info catagorized by price or trending.  It's a great way to see what's going on in the marketplace at a glance.  Also the articles have been good as well.  Enjoying the site. 

Woodyx 8 days ago | 1 point

Haven't played wingspan yet but think that needs to change just because of all the comments.  Currently, I'm thinking of getting scythe to gift to a friend because he has been wanting it so bad.  Although if I won I would have to go more into my wishlist because it's hard to pass up an opportunity to refine your collection a little better.  😁

philryuh 7 days ago | 1 point

I enjoyed my plays of Wingspan so far. I think it does a great job for what it was meant to be, a fairly lightweight and relaxing engine-building that's heavy on theme and has great components to play with. Good luck! :)

07zXug8x1kTpa2dd8aDQY4b0N 9 days ago | 1 point

There's a good chance that I'll want to get Outlive!

Post apocalyptic settings are always interesting to me in whatever the form haha

HooperGirl 10 days ago | 1 point

Maybe Tiny Towns or Dinosaur Island

Well, if you go with Tiny Towns, you'll be able to add another to complete the $60 value haha

Captin_Derka 10 days ago | 1 point

Spirit Island

Have you had a chance to play it yet? How do you like it vs. Pandemic?

Captin_Derka 3 days ago | 1 point

I haven’t gotten to play it yet, but I’ve heard it’s great for 2 players. My wife is my primary gaming partner, so I mostly look for games that work well at low player counts. We love pandemic and just started legacy season 1.

beastkillr 10 days ago | 1 point

Wingspan is a solid choice and one that is difficult to say no to.

It's certainly the most mentioned even within this thread. Having played it multiple times, I can see why though. A very well crafted game!

Here’s hoping! Good luck everyone! I have my eyes on either Great Western Trail or Brass: Birmingham!!

Skyw3rd 11 days ago | 1 point

This is my time. I can feel it.

Oh, was there a twitter contest too? I didn't see a tweet.    

I have been telling myself it’s my time the last two times lol

philryuh 4 days ago | 1 point

Honestly, when I thought about the timing of making the announcement about the acquisition, the first thought I had was "oh no.. Neal's odds are gonna drop even more" xD

nealkfrank 4 days ago | 1 point

Hahahaha I appreciate the thought! I’ll be ok if nothing comes through, i have thoroughly enjoyed my time here regardless!

Well, here's to hoping when Sunday comes around! Trent has this little program in place where he'll start the winner selection and it does a bit of beep beep boop and displays the winner after a 3 second countdown. I'd be ecstatic if your name came up xD

nealkfrank 3 days ago | 1 point

Hahaha I am flattered by the support! Here’s hoping!

Fate 11 days ago | 1 point

I didn't know there is a Twitter contest too. Can you share the link please? Thanks

philryuh 11 days ago | 1 point

I actually haven't started it yet haha (the first round ended three days ago). The second round will actually be up tomorrow so I'll update this post to include the link and I'll PM you too as a reminder! :D

phiyo 12 days ago | 1 point

Definitely Wingspan

Welcome!! What entices you about Wingspan? The components? The gameplay? All of the above?

Welcome to the forums! Why would you pick Wingspan?

Because I've been telling her how good of a game it is but still haven't gotten a copy of it. Hahaha

Nice! Good enough reason!

philryuh 11 days ago | 1 point

Well now you're in the running! Remember that you'll get more entries for each post on the forum or article pages, or for each comment/reply :)

How did you find us by the way?

Fate 12 days ago | 1 point

Scythe and Wingspan!!! 

Have you been able to play either of those?

Fate 8 days ago | 1 point

I have played it once at my friend place. It's an interesting game. Love the concept of it.  How about you?

nealkfrank 8 days ago | 1 point

I have played both! Very different games, but both very high quality production Value for sure. Wingspan is definitely easier to pick up. 

Also welcome :)

Wingspan and Scythe have been mentioned a few times now, makes sense haha.

Welcome to the forum! How did you find us?

Found you guys on Facebook group!

Reading other people posts...Now I know what you mean with the huge aMount of people hoping to get wingspan or scythe...All the best everyone! 

MattHoevenaars 12 days ago | 1 point

This would be a great birthday gift :)

xldh 11 days ago | 2 points

Why thank you for thinking of me. My birthday is tomorrow.

MattHoevenaars 10 days ago | 1 point

Happy birthday!!

Which game would you get? :D

Welcome to the forum by the way!

MattHoevenaars 12 days ago | 1 point

Hmmm, there are so many I would love. Terraforming Mars, Scythe, Everdell, Pandemic Legacy, Near & Far are a handful. Thanks!

Great choices! Have you been able to play any of these?

MattHoevenaars 10 days ago | 1 point

I've only played Scythe. I've tried a couple of the others on Tabletopia.

All of those are phenomenal choices!

Love me some Scythe

Skurvy5 12 days ago | 1 point

I am in! Looking to avenge my defeat as a back to back champion. If I win this time I’ll be after Star Wars Outer Rim! Good luck to everyone!

But I’m going to avenge my defeat... let the games begin! :)

Skurvy5 12 days ago | 1 point

Man the luckiest Gamer win!

menthabrw 12 days ago | 1 point

Articles should worth more points, no? That s a lot more work than a forum post/reply :)

Maybe get an additional entry for every 3-4 comments you receive on an article of forum post you start??

That's true, I'll think about this! Which game are you after?

A written article on this site should be worth more but a linked article to a different site should probably still count the same. 

menthabrw 12 days ago | 1 point

I think the top of my wishlist are: Concordia Venus, Wingspan and Scythe: Rise of Fenris

Ooo Concordia Venus. That’s a good choice. So many games, so little time. 

Marshwiggle92 12 days ago | 1 point

Spirit Island or wingspan. So many games I want.  

Good selection. Ben won the last round and when he picked Wingspan I immediately bought it before it goes out of stock lol

Edit: Welcome to the forum by the way! :)