philryuh

Board Game Atlas Giveaway (Winner on October 23, 2019)

Onto the third round of our $60 board game giveaway! (Ends Wednesday on October 23, 2019 at 11:59 PM PST). Just as before, this is an entirely separate giveaway from the one on our social media.

You will get +1 entry every time you complete any of these actions to contribute to our community:

• Make a post on our forum or write an article
  • Comment or reply on posts/articles
  • Refer a friend using this link: https://www.boardgameatlas.com/signup?referral (send this link to your friends and have them input your username under the referral section)

Each contribution is 1 additional entry and there's no limit to your contributions so let's see how far we can go with this third round of giveaway!

You can see the full rules here.

Also, you can check out our past winners here:

Which game will you be getting if you won?

4 points by philryuh - updated 11 hours ago | 71 comments | report

sdirrane 4 days ago | 2 points

You know, I was looking at Mice and Mystics (if I'm lucky enough to win another time).  Has anyone here played it?  Thoughts?

Skurvy5 4 days ago | 2 points

I think this looks cool too. Would be a fun one to play with the kids. 

xldh 3 days ago | 1 point

I played it once several years back. It is a great game to introduce children (and even adults) to boardgaming and even to RPG's. It is a little on the light side but I would not mind having it in my collection to play with my kids from time to time.

sdirrane 3 days ago | 1 point

That's good to know.  I have a few games I play with my 7 year old and I want to keep getting her (and her little sisters when they are old enough) more into gaming.  I wonder if I could modify Imperial Assault to play well with kids and skip this one.  Especially since some of the reviews show it to be really heavy on the dice rolling.  I actually enjoy some dice rolling but not too much.  I really don't like games that are totally dependent on it (unless it's modified dice, ie 1775: Rebellion).

nealkfrank 3 days ago | 1 point

I have never heard of this! I’ll need to give it a look!

Skyw3rd 4 days ago | 1 point

I wanted to like Mice and Mystics so much. My kids and I loved the minis and the story, but playing it felt so random and if you fail you have to start the whole thing over again. Some scenarios are almost 2 hours depending on how focused you can be. I wanted to like it. In the end I decided against it.

sdirrane 3 days ago | 1 point

Have you played anything from Plaid Hat Games you enjoy?  I'm asking because I was also looking at Stuffed Fables and Tail Feathers

Skyw3rd 2 days ago | 1 point

Since Tail Feathers is a miniatures war game at it's core, I avoided it. Stuffed Fables didn't grab me. I'm really thinking of checking out Aftermath though. It seems like the best of both worlds and the next step for these type of games.

sdirrane 30 hours ago | 1 point

Aftermath does look intriguing.  But the price tag is high right now.  I’d probably have to wait for a bit after it’s release.

Skyw3rd 4 days ago | 1 point

This is my time. I can feel it.

Oh, was there a twitter contest too? I didn't see a tweet.    

I have been telling myself it’s my time the last two times lol

Fate 4 days ago | 1 point

I didn't know there is a Twitter contest too. Can you share the link please? Thanks

philryuh 4 days ago | 1 point

I actually haven't started it yet haha (the first round ended three days ago). The second round will actually be up tomorrow so I'll update this post to include the link and I'll PM you too as a reminder! :D

07zXug8x1kTpa2dd8aDQY4b0N 2 days ago | 1 point

There's a good chance that I'll want to get Outlive!

prozzden 2 days ago | 1 point

Clank or maybe one of the D&D dungeon crawl games I don't own yet. 

Woodyx 11 hours ago | 1 point

Clank in space is one of those games I would love to get to the table more than I do!  Highly recommend it.  The space has a modular board to allow for more differences with each replay.

HooperGirl 2 days ago | 1 point

Maybe Tiny Towns or Dinosaur Island

Captin_Derka 2 days ago | 1 point

Spirit Island

beastkillr 2 days ago | 1 point

Wingspan is a solid choice and one that is difficult to say no to.

OneCrazyCanuck 2 days ago | 1 point

I think I'd look at D&D's Tomb of Annihilation just to get something to get me into the spooky mood of the Halloween season! Thanks for the contest!

philryuh 2 days ago | 1 point

Enjoy! :)

And welcome to the forum! How did you find us?

OneCrazyCanuck 2 days ago | 1 point

I believe it was through an EverythingBoardGames link. Glad I found my way here!

Woodyx 11 hours ago | 1 point

Haven't played wingspan yet but think that needs to change just because of all the comments.  Currently, I'm thinking of getting scythe to gift to a friend because he has been wanting it so bad.  Although if I won I would have to go more into my wishlist because it's hard to pass up an opportunity to refine your collection a little better.  😁

Here’s hoping! Good luck everyone! I have my eyes on either Great Western Trail or Brass: Birmingham!!

phiyo 4 days ago | 1 point

Definitely Wingspan

Welcome!! What entices you about Wingspan? The components? The gameplay? All of the above?

Skurvy5 4 days ago | 1 point

Welcome to the forums! Why would you pick Wingspan?

Because I've been telling her how good of a game it is but still haven't gotten a copy of it. Hahaha

Nice! Good enough reason!

Well now you're in the running! Remember that you'll get more entries for each post on the forum or article pages, or for each comment/reply :)

How did you find us by the way?

Scythe and Wingspan!!! 

Have you been able to play either of those?

Also welcome :)

Fate 14 hours ago | 1 point

I have played it once at my friend place. It's an interesting game. Love the concept of it.  How about you?

nealkfrank 13 hours ago | 1 point

I have played both! Very different games, but both very high quality production Value for sure. Wingspan is definitely easier to pick up. 

Wingspan and Scythe have been mentioned a few times now, makes sense haha.

Welcome to the forum! How did you find us?

Found you guys on Facebook group!

Reading other people posts...Now I know what you mean with the huge aMount of people hoping to get wingspan or scythe...All the best everyone! 

MattHoevenaars 4 days ago | 1 point

This would be a great birthday gift :)

xldh 3 days ago | 2 points

Why thank you for thinking of me. My birthday is tomorrow.

MattHoevenaars 3 days ago | 1 point

Happy birthday!!

Which game would you get? :D

Welcome to the forum by the way!

MattHoevenaars 4 days ago | 1 point

Hmmm, there are so many I would love. Terraforming Mars, Scythe, Everdell, Pandemic Legacy, Near & Far are a handful. Thanks!

Great choices! Have you been able to play any of these?

MattHoevenaars 3 days ago | 1 point

I've only played Scythe. I've tried a couple of the others on Tabletopia.

All of those are phenomenal choices!

sdirrane 4 days ago | 1 point

Love me some Scythe

I am in! Looking to avenge my defeat as a back to back champion. If I win this time I’ll be after Star Wars Outer Rim! Good luck to everyone!

But I’m going to avenge my defeat... let the games begin! :)

Man the luckiest Gamer win!

Woot, woot.  Looking to make a come back this giveaway after being denied back to back championships.  Ha.

BenjaminK 4 days ago | 1 point

The race is on! :) 

Will the Wingspan Expansion be available if you win back to back?  If not you should just wait for a later contest ;)

That's a good question. maybe I'll go dark for this giveaway...just in case :)

You know Ben, since you got Wingspan, if you haven't had a chance to read this yet, here was an interview I did with the artists. It was neat playing the game after the interview and having all these new revelations on how they got connected with Stonemaier Games, how long they took on certain cards, etc!

https://www.boardgameatlas.com/forum/XTO9WbDBqe/how-the-best-board-game-of-2019-wingspan-reunited-two-high-school-friends-interview

Thanks for the share. This was a great article. 

philryuh 3 days ago | 1 point

I actually have read that! I think I read it right after it went live. Very cool stuff. I think I'll read it again before we play our brand new copy so I can give some further insight to my wife (and others) while we play. Whenever we watch Star Wars, she always waits for the random facts that literally nobody knows about but me and a handful of others. So she's used to it haha

If three consecutive wins ever happens, I'm going to create a virtual trophy for that person lol. Maybe I should make one for one time winners too (like... "achievement" icons that will show up on your profile or something?)

I'd love to see some kind of extra icon.  Sort of like they have badges on Facebook (yes I'm old enough to still use Facebook).

Alright, I'll draw up some of these once I get through most of my interviews :)

As a fellow winner I totally agree. We need to feel even more special! /s

Come on guys!! Share the love!!

menthabrw 4 days ago | 1 point

Articles should worth more points, no? That s a lot more work than a forum post/reply :)

Maybe get an additional entry for every 3-4 comments you receive on an article of forum post you start??

That's true, I'll think about this! Which game are you after?

A written article on this site should be worth more but a linked article to a different site should probably still count the same. 

menthabrw 4 days ago | 1 point

I think the top of my wishlist are: Concordia Venus, Wingspan and Scythe: Rise of Fenris

Ooo Concordia Venus. That’s a good choice. So many games, so little time. 

Marshwiggle92 4 days ago | 1 point

Spirit Island or wingspan. So many games I want.  

Good selection. Ben won the last round and when he picked Wingspan I immediately bought it before it goes out of stock lol

Edit: Welcome to the forum by the way! :)