What did you play this week? (1/25/2021)

(1/25/2021) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

LikeChristmas Like| 57 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

2 months ago

Pretty decent week of gaming because inline gaming picked up a little!

• #Too Many Bones Solo with Gasket and got my booty handed to me. I did build him well for the Tyrrant I was fighting! Fun concepts though that I can see being fun to play with!
  • #Carnegie on BGA twice. First game I did not know what I was doing at all...scored very poorly. Second game I understood more and made it more competitive. Lots of messing with people here!
  • #Russian Railroads on BGA. I have been enjoying this one quite a bit actually. Fun action chaining and reward systems here. 
  • #Fort @ 3-players. Really enjoyed this. I took the backpack strategy and rushed the game allowing me to win pretty handily!
  • #Hansa Teutonica: Big Box # 3-players X2 - This was a total win. Great game and quick turns make it super interesting. There is a kind of an overpowered strategy that came up but it will never happen again under my watch...

2 months ago

Also got an attempt on #Aeon's End: Legacy scenario 8 in and got crushed. It is not an easy scenario!!

Premium User2 months ago

We were on scenario 4.  Some mistakes were made but we really lost to a triple nemesis pull.  (One on the last turn then two in a row on the next turn.)

2 months ago

OOOOF That is the worst!!! It is really demoralizing when that happens!

Premium User2 months ago

I didn't feel too badly as we were hanging on by a thread and had some luck earlier on so in the end I didn't feel too hard done by.

2 months ago

Ya I feel that. I had a killer turn early on in our last game and then could not find the luck again!

Premium User2 months ago

re: Hansa Teutonica, if there's a legitimate way to stop the strategy, it doesn't sound overpowered to me...just a good strategy that opponents need to defend against

2 months ago

Oh ya I agree, the game is so new to us so we felt like it was OP but I am confident it can be combated. I am hoping to get another play in this weekend and will report back!

Premium User2 months ago

Cool!

Premium User2 months ago

I just placed an order #Hansa Teutonica: Big Box not too long ago. I'm really looking forward to giving it a try!

2 months ago

Oh you will enjoy it. From what I have been hearing it is not the best at 2-players but 3+ is real nice. 

Premium User2 months ago

Yeah I basically would be waiting until we can have a friend or 2 over. One in particular who plays games a little meaner than I usually do who I think would like this one quite a bit.

2 months ago

IT is worth the wait! I had a blast playing and am looking forward to more!

Premium User2 months ago

Awesome! My copy is still on hold at Miniature Market..they suckered me in with their recent sale combined with sending me a $5 off "we miss you" coupon LOL. I know what I want to add to finish the hold out but I'm just waiting until my BoxThrone shelves are closer to coming in so Sarah doesn't kill me..

2 months ago

Hahah they get you that way!! I wish I had that freedom lol

Premium User2 months ago

My group really enjoys Russian Railroads.  How is Hansa Teutonica?  I see it kicking around all the time but haven't given it a whirl yet.

2 months ago

RR has been really fun for me! I am curious if I would like it as a physical copy as much as I do on BGA. The turns are just really snappy. 

I loved Hansa. I think it is interesting leaching off people and just the simplicity of the actions with the complexity in strategy is really interesting! The last game we played seemed to have an overpowered strategy employed but we did not catch it in time or react to it soon enough to combat it unfortunately. we will see if it becomes broken. 

2 months ago

I got to play some games this week!

Played #Enchanted Forest with my kids. This is one I grew up with, so it holds a special place in my heart.

Taught my kids (ages 4 and 5) to play #Takenoko. My 4-year-old is, as one might expect, not good at focusing while playing games like this. However, I wanted to teach my 5-year-old to see if he could grasp it, and he did very well! A bit of coaching at the beginning, but he picked up on it quickly. 

Then last night my wife and I played #Survive: Escape From Atlantis with her parents. It devolved into madness quickly (as is common in this game) and was a lot of fun. I hadn't played this one in quite some time and man, I just love it so much. Love the chaos haha

Premium User2 months ago

Survive is a ton of fun if you have a group that gets in to it.  I don't know if I've ever won it but honestly, I have too much fun to really care.

2 months ago

Sersiously!  I've won maybe a few times, but I have so much fun every time I play it, win or lose. 

Premium User2 months ago

Got lots of fun plays this week:

• #Marvel Champions: The Card Game (Physical, Solo): Did some deck construction with Black Panther against the Green Goblin.  I pulled off a pretty handy win.  I think it's time to cycle through the heroes against Klaw for the next while.  I am really enjoying thiis game!
  • #Gùgōng (Tabletopia, Multiplayer): Second time playing this.  The first time was quite a long time ago.  This time I felt like I had more capability to create and follow a plan.  I won't say this is a top ten or even twenty game for me but the card swapping mechanism is interesting and adds a little something different to the game.  I probably wouldn't suggest it but I would play it if suggested.
  • #Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game (with all expansions) (TTS, Multiplayer): After a couple of rounds of #Civilization: A New Dawn we wanted to go back to the original.  Man, just something about this version that really does it for me.  It has a lot more going on than A New Dawn.  A New Dawn smooths out the detailed edges for a more focused, shorter, and easier to teach game  But that granularity brings some amazing gameplay and moments to the table.  With 4 of us having played it quite a few times it still takes longer but not too long and the strategies get more in depth and interesting.
  • #Aeon's End: Legacy (TTS, Multiplayer): Mission 4 for us.  I have reached the conclusion that it's a pretty basic deck building game and I wouldn't buy the regular game but the legacy element makes it interesting enough that I'll enjoy playing the campaign and then probably have enough of it.
  • #Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale (Physical, Solo): I love this game.  It's easy to pop down and play a quick game and you get to build a map which I always enjoy. :)  The different scoring mechanisms keep it interesting game to game and I have kickstarted the expansion stuff to add more variety.  I see this one being played for a long time to come.

Good week!

2 months ago

IRL:
Little slow this week... Played a game of #Adventure Land with the wife and my youngest on Tuesday. Fun game - wish the expansion was available! Then #Pax Pamir (Second Edition) with the boys last night. I won on the second failed dominance check... Can't let someone hog those purple cards! :)

Digital:
Good night with the Allegany Boardgaming Society! #Paris Connection just came out on Board Game Arena, so I learned that in preparation and we played a couple of games. I love cube rails! Then our usual round of #Codenames before another new to BGA game - #No Thanks!. We love these mean little fillers. :) Then we rounded off the night, as we often do, with a couple games of #Flaming Pyramids.

Miniatures:
For the second weekend in a row, I actually played some #Frostgrave: Second Edition! I've been reading and building and painting so long that this feels like a real accomplishment! :D

We played the "Living Museum" scenario, and my son definitely came out on top. The statues guarding the treasure made the middle of the board a slaughterhouse, so he used Telekinesis to pull treasures out of there. My archers whiffed on some big rolls, and my spellcasters didn't accomplish much either. The boy came away with four treasures to my one.

Can't wait to play some more! Next order of business is a playmat, so that our dude aren't running across our kitchen table. :)

Premium User2 months ago

Ooh, nice terrain!  I love painting miniatures as well and I have done some terrain but not anything to put down on a table.  I like it!

How is adventure land?  My local board game store (when I was at the office) had two or three copies that sat there for years.  They were selling them half price and they never moved.  Is it better than what my gut was telling me about it?

2 months ago

It's a good family game. Nothing super complex, but there are choices and interaction. The different scenarios add more replayability - we've only played the first one so far.

Premium User2 months ago

We got four players to the table for a game of #Obsession saturday evening.  We noted that with four players the rooms come close to running out and meeples have to be brabbe quick if you want more than just footmen.  One player (the winner) went heavy and hard on the sporting estate upgrades and even though only one courtship card was for sporting events he still ended up winning pretty handily.  I am curious in future games if this will prove to be an unbalanced edge to the person who gets the most sporting tiles.

#Dice Forge made it to the table for a four player family game last week and appearently our cat loves the dice as well.  We lost one that was dragged away by the cat.  Two days later we found where he was hidding it.  Stupid cat.

I struggled through two solo games of #Clans of Caledonia using Clan Ferguson.  I did pretty terribly.  71 and 79...so I guess my clan got wiped out you could say.  Getting enough settlements to grab the end-game score of 18 points was challenging and I think I focused too much on the early goals instead of building more.  

Premium User2 months ago

How's the game length at 4 players for #Obsession?

Premium User2 months ago

I would say it felt just about right. Probably about the same as Wingspan though two of the players were new to the game so perhaps slightly shorter. I think we played about 2 hours and 15 minutes or close to it.

Premium User2 months ago

Nice! So a pretty reasonable expectation would be about 30 minutes per player, it sounds like?

Premium User2 months ago

Yeah, that sounds about right.