Feedback Friday! (2019-12-06)

Supporter
All feedback welcome :)

Got praises/complaints/wish features for our forum, game pages, content creation, etc? Let us know here.

In particular--with the new year coming up soon, what are some big features you'd like to see implemented in 2020? What are some milestones you'd like to see?

Here's mine:
  • Hit interview #50+--I'm currently at somewhere around #22
  • I'd like to get in a solid theme onto the website--a mascot, a shopkeeper for avatar library, forum bot, error page, etc where it will be like a world-building process playing off the idea of Atlas, exploration, maybe even a Kingdom Hearts-like idea of an explorer of different board game universes? As long as it doesn't come off as obnoxious/cliche'd
  • Catch up to Board Game Prices level of traffic by mid 2020 (organic traffic is basically the ones where people find you on google). We own BGP, so it's all good, but I'd like to see BGA catch up. BGP's organic numbers are currently about 10x BGA's
  • Special events--could be a charity/support program where BGA will donate games to communities, or when our revenue has gone way up, maybe it could even be us purchasing and giving away 100 copies of a game to support a particular designer. Ever since I started my interviews, I've been getting more and more of the desire to promote industry professionals. We could even try something like providing an all-expenses paid trip to have a designer come join me and Trent and spend some time to do a live interview, game playthrough, etc. It'd be nice if we could do something like that with a forum user too

Like| 24 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

11 months ago

Small Nitpicks:

• Vertically align logo, search box and sandwich menu when site first loads on mobile
  • Historically Low Prices and Kickstarter carousels have navigation arrows too close to the side of the screen on mobile

Features

• Add a game weight similar to bgg, but seperate it into rules complexity and gameplay depth 
  • Allow users to set rules complexity and gameplay depth when they log a play or add a game to their collection to help encourage and streamline contributions
  • Allow users to rate a player count when they log a play
  • Allow users to add a comment when they donate
  • Don't let me post until I verify my email, I have to rewrite this post :(

Supporter11 months ago

I've just pushed an update that doesn't let you comment or reply until you have verified your email since that seemed like the most urgent. I like all the other things you've suggested too! I'll see what I can bust through in the next few days.

11 months ago

If thinking about adding a "game weight" equivalent, be sure to take you time and give ample thought into what it could be. I like some of the suggestions of making the system more robust/transparent. Consider reaching out to some industry folks to see how they perceive their/others games. I personally feel the "weight" system is to ingrained in insider knowledge to be useful. So I feel it is a big opportunity to innovate on how games can be presented and even described.

Supporter11 months ago

I really would like to have some sort of complexity rating as well. 

Supporter11 months ago

Me too, the complexity ratings are the only reason I visit BGG these days. I tend to consider that quite a bit in my purchases

Supporter11 months ago

Especially for more common games it is quite helpful. 

Supporter11 months ago

Exactly what I was thinking. I would love to see a game weight scale on BGA.

Supporter11 months ago

I love these suggestions. I also second a more transparent weight/complexity rating system.

Supporter11 months ago

Great ideas :) Supporting and promoting talented designers sounds like a great idea :)

I d like to request a feature for forum posts and articles:
Now that the new subscribe option kicked in and is sending the notification for comments under the post.
Would you mind to add a feature as "Update post" that also send a notification for subscribers when the post is updated and keep "Submit" that does not send notification for subscribers for correcting typos?
This way subscribed user can be aware that the post is updated and there s some new info to look at.

Supporter11 months ago

This would be great especially with your posts! And good point about having those two options.

Supporter11 months ago

Yes ^^^

Supporter11 months ago

I just noticed the new Play Log option and it so much easier to use.  Great job and thanks!

Supporter11 months ago

Glad you like it! @trentellingsen is working on improving that feature even further and we should be able to see something cool in the next couple of weeks. I'd personally like an option to add a picture to the play log process and for it to be easily shareable with the What Did You Play This Week post

Supporter11 months ago

Yes!  That would be awesome.

Supporter11 months ago

I think BoardGamePrices with zero marketing would be over BGA right now either because of the domain.
But hopefully through BGP people will find out more about BGA and see how much more fun and fuctional this site is :)
( And I wish that the price matching feature of BGA will surpass BGP in the future or at least be maintained on the same high level :D)

Supporter11 months ago

The acquisition has led to great synergy because BGA and BGP have own their own strengths and we've been able to make full use of them to find great deals for people. It's great that the revenue from BGP is much more reliable than BGA's too. As for numbers, we're hoping to start facebook ads again for BGA once we feel good about how well we're able to retain our new visitors :)

Supporter11 months ago

Also, I like all of the ideas too!

Supporter11 months ago

I like all of those ideas Phil! Keep up the great work. 

Supporter11 months ago

Thanks Brian! Oh and by the way, looks like Spirit Island will arrive next Tuesday :D

Supporter11 months ago

Maybe a critics aggregate rating for games? With the traffic being what it is, most of the user ratings for games are pretty unreliable (sample size is too small)—it’s still something I find myself having to go to (that other website) for.

I’m really pulling for this site, by the way. I appreciate and admire y’all’s hard work. Also it works on my phone, which is huge, and the community is generally very friendly.

Supporter11 months ago

Makes BGG sound like Voldemort lol

I also visit BGG quite often just for the weight raiting and user rating too (the convenience part plays into it a lot since it's a quick google search). In the past feedback posts we've talked a bit about potentially setting up some sort of critic review system similar to Rotten Tomatoes. I like the nice balance between the "professionals" vs. the mass (not sure how this would play out for board games though). Overall, though, we'd like to establish a system with more transparency and credibility in the ratings, and have some sort of simple method to verify someone has played the game before rating it.

Edit: I'm glad you're enjoying yourself here! We'll try our best to make it worthwhile haha :D

Supporter11 months ago

Yeah! Something like Rotten Tomatoes. But I agree, it’d be hard to to straddle the line between professional critic reliability and user transparency.

Supporter11 months ago

• Being able to insert pictures from my computer directly into posts.
  • Good functionality for users selling used games. (with a cut going to you)

Those are the two off the top of my head.

Supporter11 months ago

Great to see you here again! If you mean being able to make image posts, we actually added that feature a while back. If you go here https://www.boardgameatlas.com/forum/post/new you will see options for a regular text only post, image post with description, link post, and a poll post with description.

The marketplace for users selling used games is in the works and I'm pretty sure @trentellingsen will make it happen by Q1 2020. Would love to see that happen especially now that many of us have gotten to know each other quite well over the last months haha

Linked Topic