Feedback Friday! (2020-07-31)

Supporter

For those who are new, this is a weekly post where you can share your feedback on all things related to Board Game Atlas. You can also find more information in this article where I walk through the various features on BGA.

Have a great weekend and I hope you fit in some gaming time :)

20 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

8 days ago

Another idea - maybe you can do a challenge for people to use the "Learning Complexity/Strategy Complexity" ratings. I think that's such a cool feature, and I see people rating games, but very few ratings on that feature. Or maybe it just needs better visibility?

Supporter6 days ago

Yes, it would definitely be good to encourage everyone to get to their reviews/ratings of games. I know that I have tons of them to get to lol...

For one weekly challenge, I actually had an idea that I'm not sure how many people will participate in. I was thinking the other day about how trick shots (e.g. Dude Perfect) are quite popular on YouTube, and wanted to do a board game edition of it. So starting today, Trent and I are going to record shots of us doing board game trick shots and on the week this gets published, I was thinking maybe I should have everyone here try to submit a challenge of their own too :D

(For example, I'd toss and stack each "floor" at a time and get the player token to land on the third level for #Santorini)

OHH and by the way, check out this page: https://www.boardgameatlas.com/search/?name=oceans. This is what you'd see if you searched for Oceans and pressed enter without selecting one of the autocomplete options.

6 days ago

Haha, that could be a fun challenge! Are you hoping people will all post videos of their trick shots?

And the new search looks awesome! The forum posts are basically all me, lol. North Star should hire me lol

7 days ago

Good thoughts, I wonder if that could be because they feel more objective. Like my rating of a game is very personal so I can't really be wrong but the complexity of a game (even though it shouldn't necessarily) appears to be a more measurable quality of a game?

7 days ago

Could be! It should be the same, which is why there's a vote on it, but I can see how it might feel like a more objective measure

7 days ago

For sure, people will experience complexity and ease of learn differently, it is entirely subjective. Just I can imagine it being a thing people feel less confident in expressing. That or it's just not so interesting to them as giving an overall rating.

8 days ago

, I think it could be beneficial to have the active Weekly Challenge either stickied or in the sidebar (like the post for the giveaway announcement), so that people who missed the original post or are new to the forums can know what's going on a little more easily.

Supporter8 days ago

Great feedback! Trent and I talked about it just now after seeing your comment. We're thinking of redoing the giveaway "card" on the side and have it display all of the current active giveaways (Fort gleam giveaway, our regular one based on contributions, and the weekly challenge.) We might also create a dedicated giveaway page where it will curate all giveaways (not just the ones run by us)

8 days ago

Sounds like a good plan!

Supporter10 days ago

I have really been enjoying the community. And I feel like the changes y'all have made to the site have really improved it.

The one small complaint I have may not even be your fault. Most of my interactions with the forum is through my phone. And, strangely enough, when I try to swipe to type on my keyboard it often doubles the word. For instance, if I try to write "cares" it will generally come out as carescares. This is the only site that it does this for me. And it doesn't do it for every word. Anyways, I don't know if if that is anything that can be changed on your end, or, if it is a problem on mine..... But I thought I would mention it. 

Supporter10 days ago

Thanks Chris! Appreciate the feedback and thanks for the bug report. I remember seeing that from time to time, but I rarely interact on the forum through mobile so I miss out on finding (or remembering) most of them. We'll take a look at it this week.

Hope you enjoy this week's challenge!

Supporter9 days ago

Thanks, I expect I will.

11 days ago

Just wanted to feedback how much I have been enjoying the weekly challenges: they have been great motivator to write up reviews on specific games. Especially the shelf of shame, managed to get a few knocked of there this week 😊

Also, the changes to the comment/article boxes are great and the pop ups when you hover over a game/username are a lot of fun

Supporter10 days ago

Thanks Rob and it's been great seeing your write-ups :)

I still failed to get to #Agricola (Revised Edition) for this challenge lol

I look forward to seeing your top "x" lists this week!!

7 days ago

It has been really fun writing them! And it takes pressure off my partner to listen to all my board game rantings XD

Supporter9 days ago

Ah, well, you can try that again this week.

7 days ago

Haha, you could do a 'Top 1 game I didn't play last week'

Supporter7 days ago

great idea.

Supporter6 days ago

I wanted to give another shout out on the great job ya'll are doing.  And I want to thank Phil for working hard with my giveaway gift card.

6 days ago

I second this! Phil has been very generous with his time!

Linked Topic