Last 5, Top 5 (March 2020)

Owner

It's been a while since the last one so I'm completely borrowing @BenjaminK's popular post topic.

We're almost done with the first quarter of 2020! What were the last five games you played, and how would you rank them against each other? (I'll share mine in the morning--it's 1 am here and I need more time to think)

Like| 76 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

8 months ago

I'm terrible at ranking games.  I could make this list each of the next three days and it would probably be different each time.  Anyway, here goes...

#Xia: Legends of a Drift System - This was actually the least exciting game of Xia I've played.  Neither of us could get anything going and it was just a grind.  I still enjoyed it though.

#Dominion - Taught this to my daughter and, along with my wife, played a couple games of this staple in our collection.  Always fun.

#Puerto Rico - This was my 2nd time playing PR and my first in 8 years.  Great game that I expect to get a lot more table time now.

#The Godfather: Corleone's Empire - First time playing.  It's a very in your face, cutthroat game, at least at 2 players.  That's not a complaint though.  We enjoyed it a lot.

#Galaxy Trucker - This is one of those games that I really don't care about winning.  In fact, it often seems to be more fun when everything goes wrong and your ship gets blown to hell.

Supporter8 months ago

Here are mine:

1. #Root

2. #Terraforming Mars

3. #Star Wars: Outer Rim

4. #Ticket To Ride

5. #Clue Game

Quite a mix of games. I played Ticket to Ride and Clue with my family and the rest solo. I’m not sure if anyone else has said this yet, but Root is fantastic. Does anyone here like Root? I feel like I’m the only one talking about it.

Owner8 months ago

I'm still curious where Root stands in your top 5 now o_  o

Supporter8 months ago

Definitely. I’ve got two posts in the hopper that I’m working on. One or both should answer your question. 

Owner8 months ago

Woahhh how times have changed. Where would you place Root now in your top 5? Glad it's working out for you and I was hoping everyone who wanted to get Root (after all of the talk that goes around here) wouldn't be disappointed. Also, you've played as the Cats and the WA so far. Have you given the Birds and the Vagabond a go yet?

8 months ago

I think I've heard of Root. Possibly from you. I hear it's good. I also hear that I need to get that played solo! Was your Root solo or with others?

Supporter8 months ago

Solo, naturally. 

8 months ago

Seems like that's how most of our games get played these days haha

Supporter8 months ago

Even before all the COVID-19 stuff. 

8 months ago

haha Fair enough.

Owner8 months ago

Choosing between #2 and #3 was the most difficult.

1. #Tuscany: Essential Edition - Haven't been overthrown yet and we still have more content/modules to get to.

2. #Clans of Caledonia - Still very fun but I'd say it scratches a very different itch than all others in this list. Definitely requires the most amount of planning and brain power, but in a good way.

3. #Architects of the West Kingdom - Okay, I was actually tempted to place this in #2. I think it would deserve that spot (maybe even #1) if I were to weigh in just the pure amount of fun I had playing it solo. I like it more than my #1 and #2 if I were to consider solo only, but I still have to see how my second play of 2p game with my wife will go.

4. #Camel Up (second edition) - Light, casual, chaotic fun with the family. Best family game I own so far in terms of pure fun. #Just One is another one but we haven't played that recently.

5. #Atlantis Rising (second edition) - It's a great co-op but it's harder to see plays these days because my wife's been so busy getting her YouTube channel started. Even if she weren't busy, I could see it losing out to my top games in getting to the table. And my bet is that if #Root co-op play goes well, we'll prefer that over Atlantis Rising for co-op experience.

Supporter8 months ago

Some great games here Phil. I’m surprised to see Atlantis rank at the bottom, although when compared to the other 4 games it’s a bit easier to see why. 

Owner8 months ago

I know right? Tough competition. I still like the game and it will probably see more plays in the future because I appreciate the tension it creates. But, when it comes to survival games, I think I prefer ones where each player moves around a single character on a map. For now, it definitely places below Camel Up in terms of pure fun factor. If I were to judge based on solo play, I'd currently place Architects at #1.

Supporter8 months ago

Good job solo play! And good job Architects. 

8 months ago

My in-laws ordered #Viticulture: Essential Edition for me as a late Christmas gift - I'm excited to receive it and play it! Though I don't know how long it will be now that Amazon is delaying "non-essential" item shipments, haha. Anyway, I'm sure we'll love it, and I'm sure we'll eventually get Tuscany as well!

Supporter8 months ago

This is amazing! My in-laws don’t support my addictions. 

8 months ago

Haha! When they saw it was about making wine they said they wanted to come over and play it and drink some wine, lol

Supporter8 months ago

lol! Good for them. 

8 months ago

Yep and I'm down to teach them, but I know for a fact this will be the heaviest game they've ever played by a long shot.

Supporter8 months ago

The theme and the mechanics should help quite a bit. 

8 months ago

Yeah that's what I've read. I hope it goes well! Though maybe I'll have to limit the wine drinking until after I'm done teaching, lol!

Owner8 months ago

I remember you mentioning that in a DM (I think I forgot to reply to that part though). Your in-laws are awesome! lol. I hope you and your wife will love it. Based on the games you like, I feel like it will go well. 

By the way, how does your wife typically feel about worker placement games where the action you want gets blocked off? There are fairly decent workarounds in #Viticulture: Essential Edition but I'm curious! (and besides, throwing in Tuscany adds so many options to find alternative routes toward what you're building).

8 months ago

Well that happens in #Everdelland she doesn't seem to mind too much. In that game it's hard to know what the other player is going for, so you can't really do it on purpose. I'm not sure how it is in Viticulture.

Owner8 months ago

I'd say it's quite tame. You will be set back sometimes by your opponent's action but you just have to be willing to be flexible and consider other options. It's mostly a matter of managing your Grande worker (you can place this worker in an already occupied area) or investing a bit on visitor cards that will allow you to bypass having to place a worker in a particular action space to complete that action. And again, Tuscany will do you wonders to mitigate bad luck in your card draws and to help jump start your engine. Also comes with great modules to drastically expand the replay value.

8 months ago

That sounds great! Have you played with any of the other expansions? #Viticulture: Moor Visitors Expansion or #Viticulture: Visit from the Rhine Valley? I think one of them is made specifically to reduce the luck factor.

Supporter8 months ago

I can't recommend Rhine Valley enough, if you are starting with one Expansion for VEE it has to be this.  It fits into the overall Engine Building aspect of the game so nicely.  It allows you to win almost solely by filling your wine orders.  For me there is nothing more fulfilling in VEE than discarding a filled wine order and taking the wine out of your cellar.  It feels like you've made some wine enthusiasts very happy.

@philryuh I'm strongly considering using some of my savings from Board Game purchases this year to buy some bling.  Raiders really has me sold on Metal Coins.  I don't know that I'd spend much on screen printed Meeples.  But I really really want #Scythe and #Viticulture: Essential Edition coins.

Owner8 months ago

That'd be fun for sure. I'm also pretty sold on getting metal coins at some point. I've also entertained the idea of getting #Scythe coins and using them for all of my games, but I'll likely get bothered by the inconsistency in theme/color :(

When I suggested that idea to my wife, that was the first thing she mentioned as well so we think alike lol. But.... how will I afford metal coins for Clans, Viticulture, AND Architects? I doubt there'd be a generic brand that I'd be satisfied with haha xD

She seemed to like the coins for #Clans of Caledonia as well but she was especially pleased by this: https://www.topshelfgamer.com/collections/clans-of-caledonia/products/deluxe-token-bundle-compatible-with-clans-of-caledonia. Looks like resin pieces for the resource tokens (not the ones on the player board)

8 months ago

You recommend that one over Tuscany?

Owner8 months ago

I haven't but I've heard great things for #Viticulture: Visit from the Rhine Valley from @sdirrane if you want to put more emphasis on the engine-building aspect of Viticulture/focusing on wine production/fulfillment. This is because the base deck sometimes rewards victory points to players in a rather random way that can feel out of theme and detracting from focusing on wine making. My wife and I haven't gotten it yet but we still enjoy the game with the base deck. But considering how much of a hit this game is for us, I'm sure we'll get the deck, metal coins, and maybe even upgrade the workers to custom ones at some point xD

The Tuscany expansion is great for mitigating luck in your bad card draws if you're failing to draw the right vine cards or wine order cards. The new board has an action space that allows you to trade resources in a 1:1 fashion (between "resources" like cards in your hand, money/lyra, grape tokens, etc) so it gives you a way to be flexible.

Oh, and you get access to more action spaces in each action area when you're playing at higher player counts (e.g. planting vines area will open up to allow 2 or 3). At that point it becomes more of a competition for placing your workers on the action spaces that reward bonuses rather than completely getting blocked off from an action.

8 months ago

Yeah I like what they did with the bonus action spaces - makes for good competition but still seems like most of the time you'll be able to do most of what you want to do.

And Tuscany sounds awesome! I'm sure we'll get it a few months down the road.