This site prioritizes game information. Would you like to keep that way or would you want to priortize game prices? Prioritize PricesPrioritize Information

(Change this option in the future in the Account dropdown)

What did you play this week? (1/11/2021)

(1/11/2021) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

Christmas LikeLike| 65 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Partner4 days ago

I'm still waiting on my copy of #Dune: Imperium to be delivered from Fed Ex Limbo, so we played a 4p game of it on TTS. I'm biased toward most deck builders already, but wow, I really enjoyed my first play. 

Also, got in some plays of #Carpe Diem the new edition from Ravensburger. Classic, clean artwork and graphic design. Much lighter in depth than Trajan or Forum Trajanum, right in my wheelhouse. My wife's verdict this weekend? Thumbs up, wants to keep playing it. 

Premium User4 days ago

Dune Imperium is looking better and better to me.  I'm always loathe to play something on TTS if no one in our group owns it but since I can't buy it for a reasonable price right now we might just have to give it a shot anyway!

Partner4 days ago

Same here, I like playing games on TTS that I own and I have the rules right next to me! But, some of the TTS builds are publisher supported -- like the Restoration Games official one of UnMatched. That's an easy sell!  Plus, I've bought games that I've played online later so its great marketing (Lost Ruins of Arnak most recently.) 

Premium User4 days ago

Oh for sure!  Official mods aren't an issue at all.

4 days ago

Nice! I've played D:I only once at multiplayer, but I can't wait to play it again.

4 days ago

Got in a good number of games this weekend, and it was a it unusual in that I played TWO solo games!

• #Dune: Imperium: 1x solo - will be glad to see this. I want to play another solo game before I really give any opinions on it, though, as I was just figuring out how the solo mode worked. My initial impressions are that the AI opponents are SUPER easy to manage, and suprisingly effective at thwarting my plans. I can definitely see this being a game that people really enjoy for the solo mode. I'll try to play another game this week now that I know how to set up and play, and then I can comment on how long that all takes and give a more informed opinion on gameplay.
  • #Kingdomino: 1x @ 2p - we went to our favorite coffee shop and sat outside and played this on Saturday morning. Always a nice time.
  • #Everdell: 1x @ 2p - we played with most of the modules from #Everdell: Bellfaire Expansion. We always enjoy this game a lot.
  • #Baseball Highlights: 2045: 1x solo - Thank you ! I tried the solo mode to learn the rules, and I really enjoyed it. Little did I know, I misinterpreted one of the setup instructions and played on the hardest difficulty possible, haha. Next time I won't be doing that. Stay tuned for more on this game...
  • #War Chest: 1x @ 4p - I love this game, as some may remember. A couple of friends came over Sunday for some gaming. One only had an hour or so, so we did this game first since we were all familiar and all really enjoy it. My time didn't end up winning, but it was a ton of fun as always.
  • #Root: 1x @ 3p - I played as the Marquise de Cats, the guy who owns it played as the Lizard Cult, and the third guy played as the Underground Duchy. For us who don't own the game, it was each of our first times with those factions, so the owner beat us pretty handily. He also didn't do a great job of explaining how his faction works, so we didn't really know how to stop him until close to the end of the game, when it was too late to make a difference, haha.
  • #The Grimm Forest: 1x @ 2p - One of my friends brought this over. WOW this game has off the charts components. It's quite a simple game, but the components are absolutely gorgeous. In my opinion, it's a bit over-produced, but hey, it's not my money (or my shelf space - the box is also massive). The gameplay is fun! I definitely think it would be better at 3 or 4 than it is at 2, but I enjoyed it. It's quick turns, and not a long game either, so I'd play again, especially with more players.
  • #Baseball Highlights: 2045: 1x @ 2p - Thank you ! Haha, I decided to make a separate list entry for the 2 player game. I had been itching to get this played with another player, so I requested to get it played and he agreed. MAN I really enjoyed it. The theme is so great - it does feel like you're simulating a baseball game, but just the highlights! The decisions of what player to use when feel very strategic. You want to sequence your hits together to be able to maximize them and score the most runs, but you also don't know what cards your opponent has in hand to be able to stop some of those hits. Except after the first buy round, you actually DO know one or two of the cards they have in hand, and you have to be aware of that in strategizing and responding to their cards. Do you use the "Glove: Cancel 1 hit" card right now on their double that will score them 2 runs, or do you use it later for that player who threatens a home run that you know they just purchased? Such great decisions. The deck-building aspect is really fun, too. You start out with a basic team that isn't all that great, and as you go along, you can recruit better players. The best part is that each time you recruit a player, you have to get rid of another one (send them to the minor leagues), so your deck (lineup) always stays the same size (15 cards). I absolutely loved this game, and can't wait to get it played again. My wife said she's down to learn, so hopefully she enjoys it as well!

Premium User3 days ago

Wow, 2 thank yous in one post?! Haha so glad you like the game! The pics you posted of it make it look way cooler than I even thought. Here's hoping your wife gets hooked too!

3 days ago

Haha, yeah I figured why not. I want to talk about the solo and 2 player games separately anyway. And yeah, I hope she at least enjoys it! Good news, my friend who I played with actually bought his own starter team because his team wasn't represented in the four that come in the box. That's a good sign that I'll be able to get it played plenty with him, at least!

Premium User3 days ago

Wait you can do that?!? Man that's so cool! I'll have to grab it for myself someday 

3 days ago

Sorta. The starter teams are just named after cities, not actual teams. The ones that came in the box are Boston, New York, Los Angeles, and San Franciso. He wanted Milwaukee, even though the different starter teams are virtually identical, haha. I think they make a bunch of them so you can have tournaments and not end up using the same starter teams, just for clarity's sake.

Partner4 days ago

Hey so glad you enjoyed #Baseball Highlights: 2045! Such a great 2p game and even better when you play tourney format with more people (someday)

4 days ago

That sounds like so much fun! Do you usually set those up with your group, or do you do those at conventions or something like that?

Partner4 days ago

We always *promised* to do one at our game nights or on a weekend, but never did. But The Dukes of  Dice podcast ran one every year at Dice Tower Con from 2017-2019. It was a blast! The last year, we had 35 participants!  Recap of the Baseball Highlights 2045 world championship (tongue in cheek, of course) 2019

Once our game days start going again, I want to organize a small tourney. With the expansions, I can probably easily run an 8 team tourney. 

4 days ago

That sounds great! I've never been to a convention, but I want to try once they start happening again, so I'll keep an eye out for tournaments! I'm not sure how many of my friends I can actually get into this game, but it would be cool to do even just a 4 team tournament some weekend.

Premium User2 days ago

that is a TON of games!!

2 days ago

Yeah! 4 of them were in one day, so that helps. It was a fun day!

Supporter3 days ago

I'm not sad that I traded#Baseball Highlights: 2045 away. I'm just not that into the theme. I'm glad you enjoy the game though. 

3 days ago

Totally get it. I think the gameplay is good enough that you don't need to appreciate baseball, but if you don't, then obviously you'll be less keen to play the game. Glad you could trade it for something you wanted more!

Premium User3 days ago

Just get some nice person on a forum to get it for you LOL

Supporter3 days ago

Lol. Didn't even know that was an option.  

4 days ago

Here are a few pictures from this week. Not amazing shots or anything, but here you go:

44 hours ago

I finally had a chance to get my Christmas copy of #Wingspan (the one I bought on sale back in September from GameNerdz for either my wife or me-it ended up being for me and she got #Point Salad and #Tenzi instead) to the table. Yeah!

I solo played two players so I could get a feel of the game.  The instructions are fairly straight forward but the swift start pack sure makes it easy to get started with the game!

I sure enjoyed it and can't wait to get it to the table again.  My wife was impressed by how beautiful it looks, so she might be joining me in a game.

22 hours ago

Awesome! It's a very fun game, and it is indeed beautiful!

4 days ago

Had a nice week of new games to hit the table!

• #The Climbers @ 3-players. Really enjoyed this one. Learned a lot from my play like slow and steady is not always bad lol
  • #Beyond Baker Street @ 3-players. Tricky little game. All about beating Sherlock and clue giving in a limited capacity. Enjoyed it more than I thought!
  • #Ragusa @ 2-players. Nice little game here too. Quick turns and quick games with some more meaty decisions. Learned from my mistakes here as well lol.
  • #Crokinole I LOVE THIS GAME. I am thinking about making a board with my Dad I love it so much.
  • #Jixia Academy It was fine, nothing to write home about on this one. Quick play with limited actions but nothing special in my book.
  • #Brass: Birmingham Solo play. This was my third time playing with the solo variant and I really enjoyed it. They were definitely taking my beer when I did not want them to and building over things that I had my eye on. I am getting a good rhythm on this and am happy about it!

4 days ago

Kinda bummed to read your impressions on #Jixia Academy as #Hanamikoji, the game Jixia is a reskin of, is one of my favorite games. The "I Cut, You Choose" mechanic is so interesting to me and the game packs a lot of decision space into what can often amount to a mere 5-minute game. 

Each to their own I guess.

3 days ago

For sure, I did not hate it at all, I think I just have other games I would prefer to play in that time space. Something like Star Realms is a more interesting decision space for me thought it might take slightly more time. 

4 days ago

Ah man, I want to try Crokinole some day. I'm sure I would get really into it, haha

4 days ago

It truly is a blast. I immediately started looking into how to get or build a board after I played lol. 

4 days ago

#Scythe got in a play of Desolation from #Scythe: The Rise of Fenris very interesting, won't say anything else to avoid spoilers :-) 

#The Reckoners with 4 players. We are working our way up the difficulty track. Haven't lost so far, but it always seems close. Such a fun dice chucker co-op. Looking forward to when my brother in law gets the expansion to spice things up more, but we've still got play in the base game.

#On Mars started a solo game of this. I've never played a Lacerda game before, but this game has so far entranced my imagination! The movement of the ship as the means of switching between orbital space station and the planet itself make sfor some very insteresting decisions. There are definitely TONS of options of what to do. While playing this solo, I've been thinking it would be more fun with more people. The positive player interaciton with being able to use other people's advanced technology is awesome. So far, really enjoying, but need to get this solo play finished and then will probably full boar to a 4 player game.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot #Gloomhaven scenario on Vassal with brothers in law. Can't wait to get playing this game in person again!

Premium User4 days ago

I think the Rise of Fenris is one of the best expansions ever.  On Mars is on our list to play soon with the group on TTS. (one of the players in my group owns it)  Very interested to see how it compares to his other games!