FEEDBACK FRIDAY! (10/11/2019)

Owner
BGA

This is a weekly post to leave your suggestions and feedback for Board Game Atlas! Some things to think about are:

• Feature requests (be creative, think wild!)
  • What sort of content would you like to see by Board Game Atlas? (we currently do interviews and news coverage. Anything else you'd be interested in?)
  • How can we make your experience here even better?
  • Mention your favorite/least favorite feature
  • Suggestions for industry professionals to interview (designers/artists/publishers/content creators/etc.)
  • Bugs/annoyances

Here are some updates on my end:

• I interviewed a board game cafe owner. You'll be able to see the article next week (prepare for the horrors of managing game inventory!)
  • I am preparing interview questions for game designer Jonathan Ying. I've also been gathering questions from some of you for the "questions from our users" section, so feel free to post any additional questions you have for Jonathan here or you could always PM me
  • We postponed our first podcast recording to prepare for a big announcement that will come soon! (brace yourselves because our community may get quite a bit bigger!)

Like| 23 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

16 months ago

A thought I had, after seeing the entire first page of the forum taken up by review posts, is that perhaps there could be a section for community reviews? I'll occasionally post my reviews from Everything Board Games, but I also don't want to commandeer the forum with them, if you catch my drift. That said, I also like that reviews do get posted in the forum because then I'll see them rather than going out and looking for reviews. Not sure what you could do there, but something to possibly keep in mind.

Also, I love board game cafes, and used to frequent one in Utah before we moved out of state. My wife has mentioned starting one of our own when we have gobs of money, so I'm thinking in about 80-90 years of non-stop work we'll be able to open one. Hope to see you all there! haha

Owner16 months ago

Haha, yup, I was looking at the forum page this morning and had to pause for a sec. We'll see what we can do to encourage review posts while also addressing common "issues" that come up with this kind of thing, especially since we're anticipating quite a bit of new people coming to BGA soon. As you mentioned, having a separate review section or page may be needed or maybe we could just provide an option for users to turn on/off a box to filter certain types of posts on the forum.

Another thought I've been thinking through is that I'd really like to reward reviewers who are actually engaging with the community. Because personally, I'm way more likely to read up on the review or an article of someone I've gotten to know through the forum--either purely out of support for that person or curiosity on what that person's thoughts are on the game. So the current idea is to have a mini profile come up when you hover over a person's avatar, which will also display a link that the user has chosen to display for anyone to click on. Down the road, maybe we could even have it so that it will be like Instagram's Story function where it will be obvious when the user you regularly interact with has uploaded new content. Another idea is to just restore the follow feature so that you can follow certain users and get a feed of their content.

We all better keep ourselves healthy until that happens! :D

16 months ago

Yeah, I'll be far more likely to check out reviews from people engaging with the community as well. You keep teasing of things to come, and I am very curious as to what that is! haha 

Supporter16 months ago

I'm liking everything so far. Thanks for all the updates!

16 months ago

I am going to be heading up to Seattle here at the end of the month and have Mox Boarding house on my schedule for a gaming cafe. Super pumped about it!

Owner16 months ago

Looks like a fun place to be at! Have fun and let us know how it went (with pictures!)

You know, after seeing the interview responses from the cafe owner, I feel like I should try to be extra nice/supportive next time I stop at a cafe haha

Supporter16 months ago

Excited for the announcement!

I was thinking it would be awesome to be able to share photos.  Especially in the what are you playing forum posts.

Owner16 months ago

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you can make photo posts on the forum by the way! I was trying to share a picture I took from one of the nights the other day but didn't have time to haha. That's an interesting idea though, to be able to share pictures in the comments section specially for that weekly post

16 months ago

Gotta think bigger!! (I am assuming...)

16 months ago

Just realized that you were just doing the normal feedback...not in response to the announcement...my b

Supporter16 months ago

Something like a group chat room with a dungeon/game master and playing on the honor system with rolls or something like that? 

Supporter16 months ago

Haha, no sweat.  But that did get me thinking it’d be fun to find a way to do a Classic Style RPG somehow within a group on here it something?  Not sure how’d it look, but I think it’d be a fun way to connect.

Owner16 months ago

A group game would be fun. An easy/simple one would be doing a roll & write live stream, but not sure how many people will be into that haha

Supporter16 months ago

I was thinking of something like that, some kind of RPG in the D&D category (not necessarily D&D)

16 months ago

I have seen Heavy Cardboard do Welcome To... with live stream. I think it would be kinda fun! There would just need to be limited moving parts for it to be effective. 

Owner16 months ago

Welcome To... was what I was thinking of too!

16 months ago

I love board game cafes!  Can't wait to read about it!

Owner16 months ago

Which one have you gone to? (maybe it's the place I interviewed! haha)

16 months ago

Ha!  Not the same one, but I've been to Island Cafe in Galveston, Texas a couple of years ago.  They're now closed, but they had SO many games, like 600?  It was nuts, including all the Dominion expansions.

And more recently Quill Books and Beverages in Westbrook, Maine.  They had a much more modest collection of games, maybe 100, but still fun!

We have a couple of game stores in Maine that have game libraries so you can try the games out there.  One store lets you borrow them too for a small fee.  And a library in a town near me has a nice game selection that they allow folks to check out.

Amanda

Owner16 months ago

I should try checking out my local library haha

The place I'm interviewing is called Game Haus Cafe in Glendale, CA. It has over 1400 games but the space itself is pretty modest in size though. I got a chance to visit there with my wife a few months ago and we had a great time going through several gateway games. Wish I had a cafe in my neighborhood!

16 months ago

Oooo exciting announcement! When can we expect to hear this?

Owner16 months ago

Hmmm.. we are aiming for next week, or within the next two weeks at the latest!

16 months ago

Exciting stuff! Looking forward to it. 

Linked Topic