Skurvy5

What was your favorite game you played in 2019?

This is for your favorite game you played this year. I’m figuring most of us haven’t played enough games that were released in 2019 to make a judgement on your favorite game from this year. So... let’s talk about your favorite game you played this year!

4 points by Skurvy5 - updated 6 months ago | 97 comments | report | subscribe

JamesReid860 Supporter7 months ago | 3 points[-]

Terraforming Mars was probably my favorite. A close second was Hyperboria 

BenjaminK 7 months ago | 2 points[-]

I really love TM. It had a lot of hype when it first came out and for me, it was all warranted. 

JamesReid860 Supporter7 months ago | 2 points[-]

Yep. I didn't half believe the hype but it was great. 

Skurvy5 Supporter7 months ago | 2 points[-]

I like it too! I need to play it more. 

JamesReid860 Supporter7 months ago | 1 point[-]

Have either of you tried Hyperboria? Its a really fun game at a great price these days

Skurvy5 Supporter7 months ago | 1 point[-]

I have not tried it. Could you tell me a bit about it?

nealkfrank 7 months ago | 2 points[-]

I am gonna go with Gaia Project and Agricola Revised Edition. Both left me and leave me wanting more. I hit my bed after playing them thinking about what I could have done better and thats great!

rancidmike Supporter7 months ago | 2 points[-]

I love that feeling...

nealkfrank 7 months ago | 1 point[-]

It is excellent when you do not have any plans the next day lol. Otherwise it keeps my up way too late lol

rancidmike Supporter7 months ago | 1 point[-]

Lol true enough

I love that feeling! So satisfying when games do that. 

Yes that is great! I really want to try Gaia Project as well. The one thing that's held me back is that I heard the component quality is so so especially for the price of the game. Was that your feeling?

My main complaint, not having played the game, is the graphic design/art is kind of off putting. Which is a shame because the same artist did a feast for odin and it really works

I personally like the components. I know people complain about them being plastic, but they are really solid little figures. Wood made a lot of sense for Terra Mystica but the plastic makes sense for GP. Everything else is solid cardboard. I can't complain about the quality!

Probably Brass: Birmingham or Anachrony. Both fantastic games in very different ways. 2019 was a great gaming year for me :)

Dude! I need to play both these games. So many games and so little time. I'm glad you had a great year of gaming!

The board gamer’s dilemma. I would say Brass is more of a must-play though

Have you played Brass: Lancashire?

I haven’t! I really want to, though. From what I’ve heard it’s a different enough experience to not make either one redundant. What about you?

I haven’t but have heard the same. I’ve heard people actually like Lancashire better in some respects

My understanding is that Lancashire is more vicious/cutthroat. I have played the app version (though not a full game). The only thing I didn’t like was an element of randomness in the goods exportation. It just felt out of place.

That is out of place in a classic euro like this

Especially that new edition. It looks fantastic. 

Yeah, Roxley’s production values are insane. I think them and Stonemaier are definitely upping the ante for publishers in terms of visuals.

Yep. This is the kind of makeover that Castles of Burgundy deserved IMO

Lol. I actually think the new CoB design is an improvement, but that’s not saying much

Oh don’t get me wrong. I still think it’s fine but Brass really sets the standard. 

Marshwiggle92 Supporter7 months ago | 1 point[-]

Both of those games are high on my "want to play" list. Anchrony is probably higher than Brass.

You really can’t go wrong with either

Likewise. Brass seems like it would be better as a PC game to me. Probably because it is. And I’ve loved and played those types of games for longer than I’ve been into board gaming. 

Interesting! I think the direct player interaction in brass wouldn’t work as well as a PC game, though.

That’s a good point. You definitely don’t get that with a PC game. 

Thatis an interesting perspective, I don't know that I have heard that before.

Transport Tycoon and all those similar games are some of my most favorite PC games. 

My man, Brass Birmingham is amazing. 

I am intrigued by Anachrony, seems fiddly with all its parts. Is it worth it?

Brass is SO good. Anachrony is a really cool game that refreshes the WP mechanism. It works because it’s so highly thematic. There are certain elements that feel like bloat, but it generally falls together. The time travel element makes for some really interesting decisions. I will say, the game operates on certain assumptions that don’t work; specifically there are 2 resources that are supposed to be scarce and they’re really not. BUT it’s always such a satisfying game to play. It will feel intimidating at first, but after one play it all comes together pretty intuitively. Highly recommend, but it’s not perfect.

I’ve heard great things about Anachrony. 

The rumors are true :)

Marshwiggle92 Supporter7 months ago | 2 points[-]

I think my favorite "new to me" game I think is Star Trek: Frontiers

My second place is even older with Innovation by Carl Chudyk. 

Star Trek looks really fun. It’s so cool you were able to play that thanks to BGA!

Yes it is cool. I'm very thankful. 

Great games!

HooperGirl 7 months ago | 1 point[-]

Alhambra is always my favorite!  I feel like I'm still not a master of it, so it's still interesting to me.

New games this year that I enjoyed were Reef and Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

WadeB1977 7 months ago | 1 point[-]

Gloomhaven and Wingspan are easily my favorites

philryuh Supporter7 months ago | 1 point[-]

Did you end up getting the European expansion? I guess then there's Frosthaven as well now haha

BenjaminK 7 months ago | 1 point[-]

Possibly Outer Rim for me. So good on so many levels. And Wingspan is right up there with is. Other contenders are Proving Grounds and Fire Tower.

sdirrane Supporter7 months ago | 1 point[-]

I don't think anyone will be surprised when they see Root as my number one game for 2019. 

Not sure if you mentioned this before but, did you back the Underworld expansion?

sdirrane Supporter7 months ago | 1 point[-]

I think maybe once.  But yes I did.  It was probably in a conversation about how I want to back games when I really feel like I want to support the project and company.  It's why I'm confident that I need to save money to back Oath.  Even if it's a little more than when it hits retail I think I'll support Leder Games.

I'm split between Root and Viticulture EE with Tuscany EE. I think my favorite is still Root, but it's so much harder to get that to the table for our regular group, so that's a shame :(

Do you find the asymmetry in Root to be an obstacle? I wanna play so bad, but I’m intimidated by the prospect of having to learn 4 different rulesets (or whatever) just to make sure nobody is accidentally cheating.

I think the main reasons for why Root is harder to get to the table than Viticulture are the thoughts I outlined in my responses to @nealkfrank, where one of them was that Viticulture is a gateway game while Root isn't. The asymmetry in Root definitely makes it much more complex to explain, understand, and enjoy for the first play when half of the group is new to board games.

I personally LOVE the asymmetry because I'm a strategy guy. But as for your question/concern, I can recall one or two moments during our past sessions when I'd have a passing thought along the lines of, "ok, I have no idea if what "person A" just did is correct or not" but wasn't too concerned about it since it was @trentellingsen and he had most of the rules down. Also, it helped a lot that I had two games of 2 player sessions under my belt prior to having the 4 player experience. That allowed me to get most of the rules down for the Marquise and the Eyrie (the two less complex factions), so when we played with 4 players, Trent and I took on the more complex factions so that we could give them reminders whenever they would get a rule wrong or something.

In the end, while Root was an instant love for me, I think many groups out there will need to survive the first play session to find out whether it's really for them or not.

Thanks for that in depth response! Root is a game my group has been mulling over and circling around, but it’s currently in between prints so we’ll have to wait and see.

that makes a lot of sense.

Why is it harder to get to the table? 

Good question, since it was just based on my observations on how frequently it comes out for our group.

• Besides @trentellingsen, his wife, and me, everyone else in our group are friends or co-workers who come in and out and are mostly new to board games. Viticulture is a much more suitable gateway game since it's easier to explain and for them to get the hang of right away due to how thematic it is (plus, the theme is easier to relate to for a much wider audience).
  • Our game nights start at 7:30pm on Tuesday and we try to finish by 10pm at the latest--even Viticulture can run longer than that when we have newcomers, and Root would be even tougher to make that time.
  • Root involves direct player interactions/conflicts that some people may not enjoy, whereas Viticulture has less of that (especially as your opens option up with Tuscany EE).
  • Root maxes out at 4 players without an expansion while Viticulture maxes out at 6--it's nice to be prepared for the nights when we expect more than 4

That makes a lot of sense! The complexion of a group can really alter how the night goes!

My favorite new to me game this year should be fairly obvious if you pay attention to anything I say around here. Star Wars Imperial Assault. 

indigopotter Supporter6 months ago | 1 point[-]

@Skurvy5 did you see Imperial Assault is less than $40 on Amazon today? boardgameprices

Skurvy5 Supporter6 months ago | 2 points[-]

That’s a fantastic price. Everyone needs to buy it at that price. 

I didn't know that you got into that only in the last year. LOL.

Remember how in that other thread I said I get stuck on things? Suffice to say I got STUCK on Imperial Assault. 

LOL

I didn’t realize this was your first year with it! By the sounds of it I thought you’d been playing for ages haha I hope it stays a favorite for a long time!

Really 2019 has been the year that my activity in the hobby really exploded. My collection doubled in size this year and I’ve played more games than any year previously. 

That's great! Everything is so exciting when you're new to the hobby. Heck, it still is haha 

Sounds like a great year for you

I’m actually going to try and get less games but play the ones I own more in 2020. 

That’s probably a good call. But then cool shiny new games come out and I just can’t help myself

Wait this was the first year you had Imperial Assault? And now you’ve collected everything? Sweet!

I have not collected everything. I have all the boxed expansions and a few of the ally/villain packs. There are a lot more that I’m missing. 

Oh ok... for some reason I thought you had everything. 

It’s a long road to collecting everything. FFG really knows how to monetize their stuff. 

Yes it is! That's why I was super impressed. Now I'm less impressed ;) 

That’s my job! To be less impressive each time you talk to me. 

It’s an impossible job though 

indigopotter Supporter7 months ago | 1 point[-]

Clans of Caledonia - we even got to teach it to someone new, and he liked it more than he expected.

I’ve wanted to try clans!

You should! It's very good, if it's your cup of tea.

I’m not 100% sure if it is or not but o really like learning new games. Everyone has really liked this one. Still it falls squarely in the “really want to play” but not on the wishlist yet. 

This confirmed that I'd definitely like to play this one. Is it true that its almost like a farming version of Terra Mystica? 

I have not played Terra Mystica so I can't compare.

Make sense. I had heard somewhere that the games are similar but Clans had more to it. 

You most certainly may! Thank you!

Thanks for the knowledge! Offer accepted. 

Nice! Scott is a big fan of that one too. Have you played Feast for Odin? Are they comparable games or would you ever imagine owning both games?

indigopotter Supporter7 months ago | 2 points[-]

We do own both, but they are different enough that I don't see them as competing.

Ok cool! I just didn’t want to have too many worker placement/economic style games in my collection. 

This is my obligatory plug for Great Western Trail ;) amazing economic Euro with pseudo worker placement elements

And also deck building right? I’d be all over this game if it went down to 1 player. 

There’s a really good solo variant on BGG by a Steve Shlepphorst. It’s basically an Automa deck, but it’s won some awards. If you’re not interested in printing out cards, someone developed an app for it too :)

You are NOT helping my wallet with these comments. 

:)

same here

...Too many worker placement/economic style games? I know what all of those words mean, but not when they're together in one sentence like that.

Lol. Fair enough!