What did you play this week? (12/6/2021)

(12/6/2021) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

StarLike| 52 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Moderator Level 135 days ago

I got one game in this week! #Raiders of Scythia with 3 players.  It was my first time teaching it to two of my game group.  It took a long time to play, but we all had so much fun.  Hopefully the next game of it be about half as long!

Premium User46 days ago

#The King is Dead: Second Edition - Got a chance to play this twice this past week. Played once with just my brother Tuesday night and it wasn't bad but could have been much better I think with more experience under our belts. I was telling it was kind of interesting how the game flow went where I thought to start I would try for one thing, but as the board state changed, I had to pivot a few times. Ultimately, my brother lost because he played his cards too quick. The other play I had of this was at 4. In the rules, they say at 4 players, you're to play in teams of 2 which is a little strange but made for a good dynamic. I teamed with a friend of mine taking on the team of Sarah and my brother. I feel like we played similar strategies as our 2 player game, but the addition of our teammates caused the board state to change a lot more. Sarah and my brother eeked out a close win.

#Calimala - Broke this out with the 4 of us after the King is Dead and I immediately started thinking it's mighty similar mechanically as soon as I started explaining the rules. I enjoyed the play quite a bit, but worry about the staying power simply because it feels like this could easily get lost in the shuffle of my collection.

#Arboretum - Played this at 4 as well and man it was a lot more competitive than when Sarah and I played at 2. She didn't enjoy it at all, mostly because she only managed to score 1 set of trees simply because other players happened to have higher cards in our hands than her at the end. And most of the time, we weren't even trying to score them, just holding onto them to not give them to Sarah lol. I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

#Downforce - Sarah picked this up for me as an early birthday gift (we celebrated with family over the weekend). Played once on Sunday with my cousins and had a really good time. Looking forward to more plays.

#Poetry For Neanderthals - Also played this with my cousins. There were 5 of us so as to not make uneven teams, we basically played as a group and didn't keep score. Everyone I've ever played with thinks I'm really good at this because I try to form full sentences to describe the word, whereas other people just say a few words. It's more like word association to them so they struggle lol. Super fun game.

Moderator Level 135 days ago

I enjoy #Downforce, and my orders of both expansions have just arrived this month.  I haven't had a chance to play them yet. 

New User28 days ago

I definitely rate the track with the crossover loop (I think the 1st expansion). There can be a problem of the field getting stretched out, that is best solved by playwers realising the importance of cunning bidding and betting, but this also helps by a) subjecting the leaders to the risk of blocking in the loop, plus of sending them down the slow road nearer the finish.

Premium User33 days ago

Somehow this doesn't surprise me..lol

Moderator Level 133 days ago

Which part- that I ordered them both (one was ordered with the BGA gift card I won back in March along with the new Cartographers Heroes and maps which were just released) or that I haven't had a chance to play them yet? 🤣

Premium User33 days ago

Both really lol but mainly the part where you haven't played them yet. My own list of unplayed games keeps growing too don't worry! :P

I have a number of games that I've added to my customer holds at Game Nerdz and Miniature Market over the last several months that I released this month once I hit the free shipping threshold. Some I was holding on case we used them as Christmas gifts for me. I've also had so much going on these last four weeks that games haven't been possible except for Thanksgiving weekend when we were out of town.  Hopefully I can get some games in after Christmas!

Premium User33 days ago

I hope you can too!

Thanks!

37 days ago

Love Downforce.  I've got both expansions and whenever we play we usually play 3 or 4 games at a time.  I really enjoy Arboretum but its way more of a brain burner than you think initially based on the theme and art.  Love it.

Premium User33 days ago

So far I can see both staying in my collection for awhile!

Moderator Level 124 days ago

Nice array of games (none of which I've played) but several there I'd love to try. #Arboretum is one I've been curious about but I was afraid of something akin to Sarah's experience which would end up being a turn-off down the road after a few plays.  Though, how frequently that type of situation occurs might be a factor as well.

Premium User23 days ago

Yeah I think it was more so a case of poor planning on our part. Realistically, we wouldn't have lost out on much if we just discarded the cards she was trying to score. Give it a try if you can, I think you'd like it.

Moderator Level 123 days ago

I think it might be on BGA... I'll give that a shot for sure if so.

Premium User46 days ago

Arboretum is a game that looks so calm but plays so mean!

Premium User43 days ago

Exactly this. Looks very nice and serene but is super mean lol.

Partner46 days ago

A little lighter week that I was expecting...

• #Oath: Chronicles of Empire and Exile - the 13th Era concluded with a rare Vision win for our group due to some negligent players who forgot it was even a possibility. Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in your personal narrative in this game and forget that you're competing for the grand prize.
  • #Modern Art - Finally sought out this classic and played it with both 4p and 5p. The first true auction game for my collection (Medici is on the way) and had a blast with the market flux. This was the CMON version.
  • #Seize the Bean - Play number seven and my first at 4p. While the production of this game is quality, the fact that it has so many options on how to play rubs me the wrong way. Iconography is also attrocious (would've been easy to simplify this) and there are some funky rules that overcomplicate the strengths. I love the character this game has, but not sure it is going to have legs for our group.

Premium User47 days ago

Not as busy a week this week.  Likely due to being very busy at work:

• #Iwari (bga): I think this will be my last play of this game.  it's interesting but now that I've given it quite a few tries it really doesn't grab me.  
  • #Marvel Champions: The Card Game (TTS): Took my Thor Aggression deck out against Hela in the #Marvel Champions: The Card Game – The Mad Titan's Shadow mission 4.  Along with Nebula and Spectrum we took her down pretty handily.  I am looking forward to being able to add the Standard + cards in that come in the Hood pack as I don't think we want to tackle expert but we could use a little more difficulty.
  • #The Crew: Mission Deep Sea (bga): Completed missions 10 - 20 after marvel champions
  • #Teotihuacan: City of Gods (bga): Had an ok game but didn't really get anything huge going.  Still enjoy this game quite a bit.
  • #Hardback (bga): With the boardgamearena crew.  Came in last but it was a much tighter race than I usually get so I'm starting to get better at competing in the game.
  • #Mansions of Madness: Second Edition (in person): One of our core group hadn't played this one.  We played a level 2 game which was a murder mystery but we wasted too much time and ended up accusing the wrong person.  In the end one of us went insane and the other two were ripped apart by a ghost.  Ouch.
  • #Railways of the World (bga):  Tried out the Mexico map.  It's a pretty decent game and probably my favourite in the 18xx light genre of games.

removed

Comment removed by moderators.

Moderator Level 146 days ago

Apologies if you've discussed this before, but if you've played both, how to you like The Crew 2 vs the original? I own the original but have yet to play it, actually.

Premium User46 days ago

No need to apologize, always happy to talk games. :)  

We've finished the first one all the way through and are a good chunk through the second one.

I personally prefer the second one.  The mission cards make things a lot more flexible and interesting.  They still have a set of missions to do using the cards.  In the first one some of the missions were a lot harder than others and in some cases you could restart a few times until you got the perfect starting setup, if you were so inclined. 

That said, they are both pretty much the same game, and it's an excellent game.

The price is so cheap I can't see any reason to not own both to be honest.  I'll be picking up the second for sure at some point.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

46 days ago

The Crew 2 is probably the better game with the more interesting mission set; however, if you own the original there is no reason to get the 2nd one IMO unless the underwater theme is more intersting to you than the space theme. 

Nice! Yeah I don't think I'd get the 2nd one unless we really enjoyed the first one and played it out.

31 days ago

#Istanbul: Big Box

Intro game, teaching it to 3 friends, just the base game. Pleasant experience altough I'm looking forward to introducing the moka expansion to give more depth to the strategy and decision making. Anyways, I lost again: weekend of looosing.

#The King's Dilemma 

With my three friends with which I play legacy games. Advancing through the campaign, doing as always terrible decisions that would make our nowadays politicians look as candid as angels. By the way, my worst scoring game ever, still had a lot of fun...

#One Night Ultimate Werewolf 

It had been a long time since my last game of One Night, seven players having a lot of fun deceiving each other and lying to our faces. I made such a great logical argumentation of why I wasn't the werewolf (which I was) only to discover after votation that the Robber changed my card... The werewolve's victory built with my own merits.

removed

Comment deleted.

removed

Comment deleted.

removed

removed

19 days ago

Why is it titled half a year ago??

Premium User19 days ago

Different date formats are used in different countries.