Feedback Friday! (2020-03-13)
For those who are new, this is a weekly post where you can share your praises/complaints/wish features for our forum, game pages, content, etc. So, have at it and let us know your thoughts!
And as promised, I will share some of my thoughts on our giveaways since there have been lots of feedback over them in the past months.
First, I'll start off by listing the most common questions raised, address each one of them, and then present my suggestions/ideas afterwards:
Questions & Answers
Q: What type of contributions are counted toward entries?
A: You currently receive 1 entry every time you comment or make a post (this is specified in the giveaway rules).
Q: Shouldn't contributions to the game pages give you entries?
A: It should, definitely. I'll go more into this below. And for clarification, this used to count in the way way older giveaways.
Q: How about giving different weight to each type of contribution? (e.g. articles get more entries over others).
A: It's certainly something I've thought about in the beginning. But, there are issues to consider. (1) I won't go into the specifics but giveaway laws are a big headache and difficult to interpret. Uneven distribution of entries is one of them. (2) There's a bit of a... "social contract" element to this, where there should be an agreement among the community on what a proper article is. Here's a list of some issues to consider:
- Weight - How much more value does an article have over a regular post? Is it assumed that articles are inherently better?
- Length - How long should it be? Should there be a cutoff in terms of minimum number of words required?
- Content/Quality Control - Besides length, is the content quality material?
I'm sure there are more but I hope it gives you a picture of the potential problems that need to be considered. Free games are undeniably attractive and while the giveaway has been great for stirring up great discussion, the appeal of going after the big entry methods may lead to questionable content. But, it's definitely not out of the question and it should be up for discussion on how we should treat this.
Lastly, here are my thoughts:
- First, make game page contributions count toward entries. No questions there.
- We should entertain the idea of doing themed giveaways, where every month or two, the entry methods will get changed to something along the lines of: "Bounty Hunters" (entries only from adding game info), "Everyone's a critic" (entries from review posts/articles & writing reviews on the game pages), logging your plays, participating in polls for top games of 2020, etc.
- I'd also like to address the issue of opportunity for newcomers. I'd like to maintain a system where the most active users who build up BGA are rewarded for doing so. But, I also want to encourage new users to participate by giving them better chances. Because of this, I will hold additional giveaways with smaller prizes (in value) where each user will only get a single entry by participating (equal chances for everyone). I will be deciding which prizes I should consider, but for now, we currently have a decent supply of MtG playmats and board games designed by Trent from his previous business ventures. Any other suggestions?
- Prizes - I will be looking into the option of working with other online stores to buy e-gift cards in bulk at a discount. If it's promising, I may consider using these as rewards so that the users themselves will be able to make the order, except they would need to cover shipping expenses. This may be a good option to save shipping costs on our end for international users (especially once the community grows) while also allowing us to potentially run more giveaways than even now.