What did you play this week? (5/3/2021)

(5/3/2021) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

Victory PointLike| 84 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Premium User4 months ago

Played two games of solo #Spirit Island over the past couple of weeks finishing my recording with Vital Strength of the Earth today (uploading now) and Loading my tragic loss with Lightning's Swift Strike earlier this week.  I think I have not played in so long it's making me terrible, or it very, very hard, OR I'm just terrible at games XD. 

Started playing #Draftosaurus with , , and on BGA.  Haven't tried the take-a-turn-and-wait gaming yet but two rounds in I'm loving it.  I'm actually getting to play a game off and on and so long as I don't take too long can pop in a turn between family stuff.  I didn't think I'd like it...I was very wrong :)

Premium User4 months ago

Asynchronous play is the way to go. Until you get someone who just stops playing and kills the game. Then it sucks lol

Premium User4 months ago

You just play with one spirit when you solo? That makes it really difficult in my experience but I'm basically a noob to the game so I might just be terrible myself lol.

I've played Draftosaurus exclusively on BGA so far and it's so much fun. I didn't think a simultaneous action game would work well turn based but I have been proven wrong 

4 months ago

Quite a game-filled week for me, although all online:

As mentioned below/above (no idea where my comment will appear), we finished another long running game of #Clans of Caledonia which I am a big fan of although it does melt my brain a little. Likewise played a couple of much shorter games of #Kingdom Builder which is a delightfully simple yet strategic game.

Also played #Luxor for the first time which was another lighter yet really interesting racing/set collection hybrid with some really nice mechanics. Maybe not one I would look to own but would love to play it again.

Tried #Santorini , also for the first time, and it is a delight. The BGA (Arena) version is 3D which is very cool and it is also a wonderfully simple yet tactical abstract thinker. I would love to own this one as I imagine playing it in person is joyous with the tiny buldings. 

Got in a couple of games of #Race for the Galaxy which is always a fun filler and continued my now fairly long running D&D campaign with some uni friends which this week involved a lot of beauracy and arguing with guards (as well as one almost unstoppable gnoll).

All in all a great week!

4 months ago

Can confirm that #Santorini is a joy in real life with the wonderful little buildings.  I pulled out my copy just recently to sort of play with my kid (we mostly just build houses) and noticed that they have a ton more power cards that aren't on BGA.  Have been playing a long running game with my sister so we'll have to go try out some of the new powers. 

Premium User4 months ago

Good round-up altogether.  I am jealous that you get to play with .  Good times.

Premium User4 months ago

Hey if you have an account on Board Game Arena or Yucata we could play asynch sometimes too!

Premium User4 months ago

I'm pretty sure I have a BGA account. I'll check on it this week. 😁

4 months ago

We have a group on there!  Let us know when you're in and we'll get you in the club haha

Premium User4 months ago

#Luxor has been pretty fun playing with and ! Really satisfying when you line up your meeples just right lol

4 months ago

I feel like its one of those games where you can enjoy doing your own thing even if you don't win.... Kinda like I'm doing haha.  I feel like I've gotten so many more cards this game but I'm still way behind you guys!

Premium User4 months ago

I can see that! I think the first game we played I just rushed to the end, but this one is moving along a lot slower as we all try to get those cards.

4 months ago

I guess you have to see what everyone else is doing.  Might be benefits to rushing ahead to end it early but then you won't have the points from cards.  Then again, if all you're drawing are 1's and +/-1's... haha

Premium User4 months ago

I went from being confident in what I was doing to questioning if I'm just wasting too much time at this point lol

4 months ago

Looks like it worked out for you haha.  The game was surprisingly close at the end. 

Premium User4 months ago

Yeah it was! Really fun game

4 months ago

I agree! Luxor has turned out to be a game that I really enjoy. I've never played it on a real table, but I would like to. The card drawing mechanic is really fun. 

Premium User4 months ago

I could see myself wanting to own it. The only downer is it plays a max of 4..

Premium User4 months ago

Quite a few games this past week as we continue to chip away at our 10 x 5 challenge. We are very much ahead of schedule! But first, online plays!

#Clans of Caledonia - Finished up another long running game of this on Monday with and on BGA. To the suprise of no one, Bob continued his winning ways lol. This games really fun and it's at the top of my wishlist!

#Kingdom Builder - Got in a play of this on BGA with Bob, TK, and . Bob and I had never played before - and my score would be very indicative of that haha. I started a rematch immediately after which we just finished up this morning and...let's just say I didn't do much better lol. It's definitely one I could see myself continuing to play though as I have enjoyed it despite my losing efforts.

#Calico - I had mentioned a couple weeks ago I didn't plan to buy games in April, and that lasted a whole 5 days when I picked up #Trick Shot from the publisher's website lol. And then sometime towards the end of April, I saw Calico was back in stock everywhere. Of course I had to buy it. Honestly getting 2 games over an entire month is pretty good for me so..baby steps? Anyway I only got the chance to try this solo and man is it difficult! When I do get it to the table with Sarah, I'm thinking of using the variant where you take a whole set of colors/patterns out just to give us a chance to not be so dependent on randomness. Really thinky game though!

#Wingspan - Got a couple of plays out of this last week as part of our challenge. Played with the #Wingspan: Oceania Expansion. Easily our favorite game, always a blast.

#Suburbia - Another game in our challenge that we broke out last week. My city planning started out strong, but quickly fell apart towards the end of the game. Sarah played for more of the long game, which is probably the better strategy here.

#Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game - Season One - Played this one last night. Honestly thought we were only getting 2 more plays out of it as we have 2 cases left. However, we totally flubbed the case and followed some less than important leads. The end result was taking a total shot in the dark over who was responsible for the murder. Immediately were informed we failed haha. We'll have to retry it at some point which should be interesting given that we know most of the background and story already...

Premium User4 months ago

And so you're next trip to Texas is...

We were in New York City last Thursday and Friday but our days were so packed with the kids I would not have had time to play a game.  Next trip...

Premium User4 months ago

I'm only disappointed because of the mounting number of games I have yet to play thanks to Sarah's refusal to play games outside of our 10 x 5 challenge lol. We could have played#Cosmic Frog!! 😫😫🤣🤣

4 months ago

I have really really enjoyed our games of #Clans of Caledonia, it is such a fun decisioin space as you can take quite a few different approaches (although these are often heavily influenced by the Clan Powers) and none are always more effective as it is dependant on how other players change the market or grab spaces before you. I also really enjoy the tiny balancer of those that finish the round first get slightly more gold so if you had a tough turn you get a nice little bonus.

Also really liked how simple #Kingdom Builder is, like so many excleent games the basis is straightforward but it leaves a lot of room for strategy, especially with how crowded the board can get with four players. The card draw element does make planning very difficult though, as you can just get wrecked by the game if you draw poorly, but it does keep you on your toes in a really enjoyable way as you can't just follow the 'best' plan you have to work with what you get.

Premium User4 months ago

Totally agree with you on #Clans of Caledonia. I think the primary reason it's jumped so far up my wishlist is because when we played with , Sarah admitted she enjoyed it too. I wasn't totally sure she'd take to it as it is a little heavier than what she typically likes. I think the "heaviest" game she's actually enjoyed that we own is #Terraforming Mars. That being said, she recently told me some game I was interested in purchasing (can't remember which so clearly she made the right call lol) was "too light for us now" given that we usually only play with the 2 of us.

As far as #Kingdom Builder goes, I think you're right on with your assessment. Our first game, I stupidly thought I couldn't place buildings if they weren't adjacent to previously placed buildings, so I went out of my way to make sure I was next to the different types of lands. "Fortunately" for me, I drew mostly grasslands cards for the entire game, so it was a moot point. The second game, I smartened up a little and tried to expand where I was on the board a bit more. However, again, bad luck led me to draw mostly desert cards. At any rate, I invited you all to play again!

4 months ago

I very much enjoy both games as well!  When I first got #Kingdom Builder I considered being like and just buying the big box of all the expansions.  But of course when you have so many games it doesn't hit the table as often as I'd like so I never made the jump.  But I love it because its very simple and yet you can really get into it with optimizing the usage of all your bonus tiles, figuring out the right order to play your moves.  I have had games where I'm completely stymied by my card draws, but they are definitely in the minority. 

And we definitely haven't exhausted #Clans of Caledonia yet but with the amount of games that just started I think we need to play through some of those first. 

Premium User4 months ago

Wait a minute... started games on BGA?! I need to get in on this lol

4 months ago

Yeah he started a bunch of open games for only the people in the group!  I didn't know you could do that.  He posted about it in the group so you would have had to check your notifications or see it on your front page. 

Premium User4 months ago

I didn't know that either!

4 months ago

Was happy to get a couple of games started there for this group.  It may be indicitive of a problem but I typically have 12 - 20 games going at a time on BGA so these 3 aren't any more than usual.  That's the great thing about playing turn based ;)

Was thinking about making an announcement in a forum here when new games are created so to get a little broader audience and hopefully more people involved.