I love maps. Maps of the real world or fantasy worlds. Maps showing geography, space, whatever really. They have always fascinated me. So one of the aspects I really enjoy in games is when you end the game with a little map you have built up over the course of the game.
These are my favourite 5 games where you build a map as part of the game:
- #Ecos: First Continent: Not only do you build a map of the early earth but you also populate it with mountains, trees, and animals as you go! I don't see this game discussed a lot but it's definitely a hidden gem and one of my favourites.
- #Okanagan: Valley of the Lakes: Definitely a hidden gem for anyone that likes building up maps. It's a decent game that I would describe as "Carcassonne but more".
- #Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale: A recent acquisition but one I really enjoy! I plan on taking maps from my solo games and seeing if I can turn it in to a big map for one of my RPG's.
- #Cities: Skylines - The Board Game: A cool map of a city comes out of this game. It definitely looks like the video game and it's a decent game to boot.
- #Carcassonne: The grand daddy of them all. (At least in my experience.) A great intro game and I love seeing how the countryside develops by the end of the game.