trentellingsen

Disney Villainous wins “Toy of the Year” award at Toy Fair 2019, Wicked to the Core expansion announced

1 point by trentellingsen - updated 4 months ago | 6 comments | report

gtothevo 8 months ago | 2 points[-]

this game really surprised me. it deserves this award. can't wait for the expansions to come out.

trentellingsen 8 months ago | 1 point[-]

I've been hearing mixed reviews on the actual gameplay itself. I know that thematically it's a home run but is the game replay-able and fun?

the luck involved with drawing cards from a shuffled deck might kill the fun for some people but if you're okay with that then it won't be a problem. each player has a second smaller deck that is primarily used for playing cards on your opponent to slow them down. these cards cost the same resources that you use to play the cards that help you so some people don't play any of the "take-that" style cards at all. this can turn it into a solitaire game where everyone is just racing to win first. as far as replayability goes there are five villains in the box I believe and each one plays very differently (and thematically) from each other. this gives the game a pretty high replay value as it takes multiple plays with each villain to really see how they work. it plays pretty reasonably with two players but we played it once with four and it took way longer than you'd like to spend with a game like this. I'd recommend it primarily for couples 

I hear there's an expansion coming with new villains. Are you planning to get it?

yeah definitely. we love adding new content to games we enjoy. especially if it's new ways to play the game. I believe that the expansion could pretty much be played without the base game as well. you would just need some generic tokens or counters to keep track of your power (the currency) because the rest of the game is all in your player board and cards which the expansion comes with. could be a cheaper way for people to try the game without buying the base game first.

That's a great idea.

Linked Games